Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants sign former Raiders TE Brandon Myers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
half of his stats came in garbage time. Hopefully they didn't overpay

All the time is garbage time with the Raiders. Laughing

Exactly. Raider fans pile in on Meyers for 'garbage time' stats. Freaking annoying. Not his fault the team sucks and plays from behind. Shouldn't take away from his ability to catch every ball thrown at him.

NY Giants are getting a TE with exceptional hands. He's also going to a team that will be able to open up space in the middle for him.

Myers is going to excel in NYC w/ Gilbride and Eli. He will be a consistent 3rd down pass catcher for them.

Giants are getting a good role playing TE and we know how much they like those. Great signing.

You overrate him and the garbage time does hold SOME merit. 'Exceptional' hands? Like the couple times he dropped TDs we desperately needed? Exceptional is a complete exaggeration. He's basically Zach Miller who can't block. Not that he can't contribute, but exceptional hands is just not true.

I was grooving on what bp wrote and you just had to go and ruin that for me.

Modified it. He's not a bad player. BP jus loves him some Myers. And a lot of Raider fans have to hate on him to feel good about the team and him no longer being on it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Modified it. He's not a bad player. BP jus loves him some Myers. And a lot of Raider fans have to hate on him to feel good about the team and him no longer being on it.

I was just messing. I've read a little bit from both sides and it was nice reading something positive. We'll see how he works out. Mike Pope is good at getting the most out of his TE's.

Unless that TE's name is Travis Beckum.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:

Exactly. Raider fans pile in on Meyers for 'garbage time' stats. Freaking annoying. Not his fault the team sucks and plays from behind. Shouldn't take away from his ability to catch every ball thrown at him.

NY Giants are getting a TE with exceptional hands. He's also going to a team that will be able to open up space in the middle for him.

Myers is going to excel in NYC w/ Gilbride and Eli. He will be a consistent 3rd down pass catcher for them.

Giants are getting a good role playing TE and we know how much they like those. Great signing.

You overrate him and the garbage time does hold SOME merit. 'Exceptional' hands? Like the couple times he dropped TDs we desperately needed? Exceptional is a complete exaggeration. He's basically Zach Miller who can't block. Not that he can't contribute, but exceptional hands is nonsense. Everyone acts like he's some bonafide receiving TE when he was drafted as a blocker (which he's awful at) and STer (which he no longer does). What he gives you is a guy who can get open and usually make the catch. That's about it. Good signing for the Giants, but he isn't as good as some people make him out to be. Not as bad as others make him out to be either for that matter.

I don't remember any other than the New Orleans game, and we didn't desperately need that because we would've been destroyed regardless Laughing
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
I don't remember any other than the New Orleans game, and we didn't desperately need that because we would've been destroyed regardless Laughing

I thought I remembered it from Cleveland and TB? No?

titwio wrote:
I was just messing. I've read a little bit from both sides and it was nice reading something positive. We'll see how he works out. Mike Pope is good at getting the most out of his TE's.

Its a good signing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know if you offered him a contract?

On a different note, sounds like Kevin Boss telling him great things about us and him wanting to win we're pretty major factors in signing here based on the press release: http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Offensive-Weapon-TE-Brandon-Myers-signed/93a54962-4007-4343-a5a4-bcba1e950d6c

^Stone85 on the sig^
91jmay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky good athlete, terrible blocker with ok hands. If it is cheap he is a solid enough TE in the Giants O.

Nickname for Sio Moore and Khalil Mack.
BP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good signing for giants
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:

Reports before the start of free agency were that the Raiders hadn't any interest in offering one. Could have been for what he was looking for at the time though.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2013/03/04/myers-thinks-he-may-wind-up-elsewhere/

Quote:
ďIím not very familiar with this. Thatís why I have an agent. Iím optimistic that they might give me an offer, but I guess they had a conversation at the combine and it didnít sound like they were ready to do that,Ē Myers said.

Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Save The Hero wrote:

Reports before the start of free agency were that the Raiders hadn't any interest in offering one. Could have been for what he was looking for at the time though.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2013/03/04/myers-thinks-he-may-wind-up-elsewhere/

Quote:
ďIím not very familiar with this. Thatís why I have an agent. Iím optimistic that they might give me an offer, but I guess they had a conversation at the combine and it didnít sound like they were ready to do that,Ē Myers said.

Thanks. Just wondering, since you usually see guys like this resigning with their teams when they have good chemistry with the QB and there isn't huge money out there.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have the numbers been reported yet?
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
have the numbers been reported yet?

Not other than it being a 1 year deal. But considering he is already signed and we had very little cap space before the Conner, Murphy and him signing, Max we can offer him is around a 2.5M dollar contract. I expect it to be slightly less than that at probably 2M.

^Stone85 on the sig^
holyghost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not getting enough credit from the Raider fans. The guy has a great feel for the open spots in a defense and how to sit down in them. Also surprisingly effective slipping a tackle or two in the open field. We had real problems in the run game and I would say some of it is due to his blocking. And that was kind of a shock as he was drafted as a blocking TE. He'll be great in the passing game on the Giants. But Oakland needs to be a running team, so we need a blocker. And we need our WRs to become some sort of consistent pass catchers, so Myers really just became a crutch for their inadequacies to become acceptable.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE MEN wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Gmen wrote:
This is the first time the Giants have really had a pure receiving TE. Travis Beckum was supposed to be that guy, but he never panned out and he's not getting resigned. So it looks like they got Eli a guy that can sit down in the middle of the field and catch a few passes. I'm alright with that.

He's not a pure receiving TE. He was targeted so much that he ended up with good looking stats. He's average at best.

That's good enough. The Giants have the luxury of taking average. Our TE Pope is the best in the business and with Eli throwing the ball that means he would graduate to good from average. Pope and Eli made Boss, Ballard, Bennett good from being average. Pope also made Boss and Ballard, who were terrible blockers into average/good.

???

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:

You overrate him and the garbage time does hold SOME merit. 'Exceptional' hands? Like the couple times he dropped TDs we desperately needed? Exceptional is a complete exaggeration. He's basically Zach Miller who can't block. Not that he can't contribute, but exceptional hands is just not true.

I was grooving on what bp wrote and you just had to go and ruin that for me.

Exceptional hands was the words Palmer used to describe him. The QBs who throws him balls says he has exceptional hands, I'll buy in.

He's a great pass catcher. Did he have some drops, sure. All receivers do. But he catches 98% of the passes thrown his way and works the middle of the field well.

In NY I expect their exceptional WR talent to open the field for him and to catch a lot passes. NY knows how to use TEs in their offense and they got a good pass catcher.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Gmen wrote:
This is the first time the Giants have really had a pure receiving TE. Travis Beckum was supposed to be that guy, but he never panned out and he's not getting resigned. So it looks like they got Eli a guy that can sit down in the middle of the field and catch a few passes. I'm alright with that.

He's not a pure receiving TE. He was targeted so much that he ended up with good looking stats. He's average at best.

That's good enough. The Giants have the luxury of taking average. Our TE Pope is the best in the business and with Eli throwing the ball that means he would graduate to good from average. Pope and Eli made Boss, Ballard, Bennett good from being average. Pope also made Boss and Ballard, who were terrible blockers into average/good.

???

He meant TE Coach, Mike Pope, and i agree with him, Pope has been on the Giants coaching staff for 22 years and he is one of the best in the league.
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: