Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs and OT Branden Albert are working on extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6609
Location: SC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne87reggie wrote:
Yeah I see Miami still making the deal but it will be for 2014 2nd rounder, possibly add a 2014 5th conditional pick!


I would probably go for that, but unfortunately I am not the GM. LOL
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DT58_lives_on


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 5791
Location: St. Cloud, MN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a pretty big surprise to me that something didn't happen. Which makes me think as fans we were fed information making it sound closer than it ever really was.

There are still a lot of teams, AZ/SD/Detriot/Miami who didn't get a LT. Things could obviously still work out, the issue is Albert's contract demands, and, honestly maybe we were ok with waiting.

It's a lot of money, but we should be able to make things work to keep Albert if we NEED to.

As far as Fisher playing RT, at least he's done it before. Ideally it won't happen, but if push comes to shove, I'll take extra beef on the O-line to protect Alex.
_________________
[image]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/jesse_fritsch1/DEEFORD2_zpsef1ad50c.jpg[image]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DT58_lives_on


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 5791
Location: St. Cloud, MN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would probably go for that, but unfortunately I am not the GM. LOL


I'm not sure any of us have what it takes, but you'd be near the top of my nomination list, off of sheer college prospect knowledge and research alone!

I also would take that, all I want is a second, and honestly that could help if we need to climb next year to actually lock up a QBOTF in a draft class where there could be some dandies!
_________________
[image]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/jesse_fritsch1/DEEFORD2_zpsef1ad50c.jpg[image]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48347
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Albert be willing to move to OG or RT after he got paid? Why not just pay him market LT money, (slightly more then Jake Long), and play him where ever is best for the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 23651
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Would Albert be willing to move to OG or RT after he got paid? Why not just pay him market LT money, (slightly more then Jake Long), and play him where ever is best for the team.


You don't pay top LT money to a player only to move him to OG. The Chiefs will have to trade him. If they force him to change positions he'll be disgruntled. If they don't give him a long term contract which he deserves , He will be disgruntled. Especially when you just drafted his replacement and have been showing him the door for two months now.
_________________

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 12 Gm/ 71 Rec/ 1088 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.3 YPC/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48347
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Would Albert be willing to move to OG or RT after he got paid? Why not just pay him market LT money, (slightly more then Jake Long), and play him where ever is best for the team.


You don't pay top LT money to a player only to move him to OG. The Chiefs will have to trade him. If they force him to change positions he'll be disgruntled. If they don't give him a long term contract which he deserves , He will be disgruntled. Especially when you just drafted his replacement and have been showing him the door for two months now.


Why not?

Teams overpay for OGs anyway (Nicks/Grubbs), does it matter? Give Albert "Carl Nicks" money, that would be well above what Long got.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 23651
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Would Albert be willing to move to OG or RT after he got paid? Why not just pay him market LT money, (slightly more then Jake Long), and play him where ever is best for the team.


You don't pay top LT money to a player only to move him to OG. The Chiefs will have to trade him. If they force him to change positions he'll be disgruntled. If they don't give him a long term contract which he deserves , He will be disgruntled. Especially when you just drafted his replacement and have been showing him the door for two months now.


Why not?

Teams overpay for OGs anyway (Nicks/Grubbs), does it matter? Give Albert "Carl Nicks" money, that would be well above what Long got.


Because Alberts has already gone on record saying he does not want to change positions. To be honest he shouldn't have to. We're not talking about a scrub who can't cut it at the LT postion. He is actually pretty good. This has nothing to do with his ability to play LT but the money the Chiefs do not want to fork out! Andy made the decesion to go young with Fisher while saving 50+ million in salary for Alberts. Long term it makes sense! Where they screwed up was assuming the Dolphins would fold under the pressure and give up the 2nd + the big money deal. That's what happens when you play chicken and your opponent never flinches. It was never going to happen IMO. Now the Chiefs are stuck in no man's land trying to salvage something anything from a alienated player in Alberts. A player they clearly did not want nor pay. People can make excuses all they want about how the Chiefs feel about Alberts but you don't publicly show the man the door without knowing resentment will set in eventually. They figured we can pull a fast one, sing him to his Franchise Tag and get something in return via trade for 2013 knowing the entire time they were drafting his replacement. Now what?
_________________

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 12 Gm/ 71 Rec/ 1088 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.3 YPC/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 2530
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert's unwillingness to play RT probably has alot to do with why the Chiefs could not find a trade partner. I know for my team the Cowboys I would of gladly gave a 2nd round pick for him but only if he would play RT since we have Tyron on the left and would accept a contract of about 6m per yr.
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB CHAMPIONS = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 2530
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chiefs could just keep him, force him to play RT this yr while grooming D.Stephenson for next yr and have great bookend tackles this season with Fisher/Albert. Chiefs have the leverage right now.
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB CHAMPIONS = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48347
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But my question is, does Albert's unwillingness to play LT stem from the money behind the position. What if Albert gets paid top LT money to play another position? Why cant this be an option?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JammerHammer21


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 27281
Location: Anywhere
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
But my question is, does Albert's unwillingness to play LT stem from the money behind the position. What if Albert gets paid top LT money to play another position? Why cant this be an option?


No team is going to pay that type of money for a guy who is an unknown. In theory, Albert is a great guard. Never seen it happen though. Also, why would a team pay LT money for a guard? They can just pay guard money to a guard. No reason to pay 8 million a year for a guard who is a complete unknown.
_________________

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9960
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
But my question is, does Albert's unwillingness to play LT stem from the money behind the position. What if Albert gets paid top LT money to play another position? Why cant this be an option?


It has to do with next season. If he plays LG or RT this year and goes into UFA next year, teams will offer less because he'll be labeled a RT or OG rather than a LT. Granted, teams would probably consider him only if they intended to use him as LT, but it will affect what he is paid. The safest thing for Albert is to only play LT as to not get labeled a OG or RT if he wants to be paid as a LT next year.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48347
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
But my question is, does Albert's unwillingness to play LT stem from the money behind the position. What if Albert gets paid top LT money to play another position? Why cant this be an option?


No team is going to pay that type of money for a guy who is an unknown. In theory, Albert is a great guard. Never seen it happen though. Also, why would a team pay LT money for a guard? They can just pay guard money to a guard. No reason to pay 8 million a year for a guard who is a complete unknown.


Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs, again. Those deals are probably in the ball park of what Albert can expect anyway, for a 29-30 year old LT. If you feel Albert can be a great guard, pay him great guard money. Great guard money is roughly equivalent to what a top 10 LT makes anyway.

I just wonder what the true motivation is in Albert's reluctance to play any other position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9960
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
But my question is, does Albert's unwillingness to play LT stem from the money behind the position. What if Albert gets paid top LT money to play another position? Why cant this be an option?


No team is going to pay that type of money for a guy who is an unknown. In theory, Albert is a great guard. Never seen it happen though. Also, why would a team pay LT money for a guard? They can just pay guard money to a guard. No reason to pay 8 million a year for a guard who is a complete unknown.


Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs, again. Those deals are probably in the ball park of what Albert can expect anyway, for a 29-30 year old LT. If you feel Albert can be a great guard, pay him great guard money. Great guard money is roughly equivalent to what a top 10 LT makes anyway.

I just wonder what the true motivation is in Albert's reluctance to play any other position.


He wouldn't be as good of a Guard than Grubbs or Nicks. Albert (more accurately, his agent) is afraid if he doesn't play LT, his value will decrease. On top of that, I'm sure Albert sees himself as a LT so it may also be a pride thing.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48347
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Albert's reluctance could hurt him long-term, more then it could help. He is less likely to get a big contract next year, at the age of 30. Especially if he has reluctance to play any position along the line. for older players, versatility is key to longevity.

He could be doing himself a favor by showing a willingness to be versatile or a team player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group