Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers sign OT Anthony Davis to a 5-year, $37.2M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Cheap as hell for him. Dude's a beast
7.4 million per year is not "cheap as hell" for a RT. Makes him one of the highest paid RTs in the game.

Makes him the highest paid RT. Andre Smiths camp was looking for $9m per season which is ridiculous. Davis just set the ceiling...

I thought this was a top 5 contract for a RT? I heard that somewhere this morning but can't remember.

24isthelaw wrote:
So 49ers is this a matter of choosing Davis over Iupati at all? I would have thought Iupati would get locked up first.

Possibly. We have to re-sign Kaepernick and Aldon next year. Crabtree as well. I'd say Iupati is the lowest priority out of all 4 (5 including Davis).

i think illupati is above davis personally. of course kap is first
but mike has all pro potential. hopefully hes next up

so many expiring contracts coming up

new sig... sorry alex
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
I almost broke my remote for this trade up. Now he's one of my favorite 49ers, he just loves to troll.

And a good example of why arm-chair GM's shouldn't get too upset about the draft. Laughing

Exactly this. Baalke picks have been head scratches, but they've worked for the most part, so I stopped getting angry right away. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
7.4 million per year is not "cheap as hell" for a RT. Makes him one of the highest paid RTs in the game.

Makes him the highest paid RT. Andre Smiths camp was looking for $9m per season which is ridiculous. Davis just set the ceiling...

I thought this was a top 5 contract for a RT? I heard that somewhere this morning but can't remember.

24isthelaw wrote:
So 49ers is this a matter of choosing Davis over Iupati at all? I would have thought Iupati would get locked up first.

Possibly. We have to re-sign Kaepernick and Aldon next year. Crabtree as well. I'd say Iupati is the lowest priority out of all 4 (5 including Davis).

I personally have Andre Smith as better than anthony davis so I don't think 7.4 is as high as it will go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

24isthelaw wrote:

I personally have Andre Smith as better than anthony davis so I don't think 7.4 is as high as it will go.

I think Smith is becoming very overrated around here.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Greg Schiano (Davis's college HC) gave some motivation to him in college..

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDavis76/status/320269503479029760

Quote:
You will be a 1 contract and done kinda guy in the NFL. - Greg Schiano. lol

-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

24isthelaw wrote:

I think Smith is becoming very overrated around here.

Agreed. He was great last year, but was considered a major bust before that. Fact is, the only good season he's had (and the only 16-game season) was a contract year. I'd be hesitant to give this guy a longterm contract... at least, not one with much guaranteed money. Potential's there, but I am unsure about heart.

Nacho Simulation Football League
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Looks like Greg Schiano (Davis's college HC) gave some motivation to him in college..

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDavis76/status/320269503479029760

Quote:
You will be a 1 contract and done kinda guy in the NFL. - Greg Schiano. lol

That page doesn't exist ... maybe he deleted it?

Either way I have no idea why Schiano would say that. Unless it was to motivate Davis to work harder during a practice / game or something. It was well-documented that he had work ethic issues in college. Really meaningless without the context ...

Nacho Simulation Football League

Last edited by TheKillerNacho on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
CornOnDaCobb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal for San Fran, if they are to remain a strong contender they are going to have to choose to keep the players in the trenches over the other skill positions, and that's what they seem to be doing.
thedudehi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 million a year for a RT is A LOT of money.

I get that o-line continuity is huge, but when money drives this league, that is a ton of money to be paying one of the most replacable positions on a football team.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal! Everyone says its so cheap though, is it for a RT though?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedudehi wrote:

I get that o-line continuity is huge, but when money drives this league, that is a ton of money to be paying one of the most replacable positions on a football team.
joe staley's contract balances it out though
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:

I think its a matter of signing a guy who hasnt been regarded as a top RT and getting him while he is still relatively cheap before he hits that ceiling of being in his prime, as opposed to know Iupati is going to command major dollars no matter what.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
P-52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedudehi wrote:

do you even watch football? The tackle position is one of the hardest positions to solidify. whether it be LT or RT

Jim Harbaugh's reaction to bloody Ahmad Brooks' helmetless sack: “Loved it, loved it. Wish he would have come and wiped some on my cheek.”
thedudehi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-52 wrote:
thedudehi wrote:

do you even watch football? The tackle position is one of the hardest positions to solidify. whether it be LT or RT

The fact that you compared LT and RT cuts you short of your credibility. Figures you would make that statement as a SF fan.

RT is one of the most replacable positions on the team. Teams can start mid round rookies at RT and still have an elite o-line. You clearly cannot same the same about LT.
Rodin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedudehi wrote:
P-52 wrote:
thedudehi wrote:

The fact that you compared LT and RT cuts you short of your credibility. Figures you would make that statement as a SF fan.

RT is one of the most replacable positions on the team. Teams can start mid round rookies at RT and still have an elite o-line. You clearly cannot same the same about LT.

The numbers actually average out to around 5.5 million/yr since he still is playing out the last two years of his rookie contract. So is actually more like a 7yr/40 million dollar contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: