Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks sign CB Antoine Winfield to 1-year, $2 million deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated earlier Winfield is a great slot CB, great tackler.
Thats what we asked him to do, and he exceled at it, while playing 90% of snaps
If he has a similar role in whichever team gets him, he will be a good investment from a talent standpoint.

I would expect the Vikings to have offered $2.4-2.7M on a 1 year deal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
First, they injure RGIII.
If Winfield chooses Seattle over Washington, I will dislike the Seahawks more than I dislike the Cowboys.

Don't sweat Seattle, Taylor.
They're overrated & not making the Playoffs next season.

Their vaunted defense got straight up "owned" on the first 2 consecutive drives.
Then RG3 got injured on the roll out & then later tore his knee.

Remember, RG3 was MAYBE 50-65% going into the game, to begin with. (from the ravens game injury)

A healthy RG3 destroys Seattle. I have no doubts about that. So let them have Winfield if they want him.

Charles Woodson is still available and they're the same age, i believe.
Plus a deep draft in Secondary.

We've kept all our Players from last yrs playoff team --Lorenzo.
We're good to go, Taylor.
No worries. Smile

Plus their Division just got tougher. 49ers with a dream team.
Cardinals actually have a reasonable QB, who doesn't completely suck.
Rams have a good Defense and draft picks to improve.

Seattle not only is going to have a tough time winning games inside their own Division, but are not going undefeated again @Home like they were in 2012.

8-8 or 9-7 best for Seattle Taylor. (& No Playoffs)
I've been saying it for months.

And for us?
We have the same team as last year + a new draft to improve.
Giants are losing everyone and could lose Cruz. (Blackburn, Boley, Kenny Phillips, Osi, Bradshaw, Bennett, etc.)
Dallas now has Romo forever... Laughing (that's a good thing)
Eagles are in complete rebuilt mode with Spurrier X2.

Things are looking good for our Redskins, Taylor.

You have to be the biggest homer on these boards. No one likes you or respects your opinion
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse just provided me with my comic relief for the day. Thank you, sir.

Seattle not making the playoffs next year...HA!

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Fieldy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

Seahawks closing in on deal to have nickel CB Antoine Winfield join Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner in one of league's best secondaries

https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/322108030713991168

Great move if it happens.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be a good place for Winfield to go to pursue a super bowl ring.

Letting Winfield walk makes sense with the vikes continued youth movement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up - Woodson to San Francisco?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your move, Jim! Cool

I absolutely love this move.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Next up - Woodson to San Francisco?

I think he is going to retire doesn't sound like to many teams are interested.
BigJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Seattle won the offseason championship which rules them out to actually do anything productive on the field. Can't wait to see everyone on the forum picking the Seahawks to win the Superbowl and then watch them fall flat on their face. Same story different team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnson wrote:
So Seattle won the offseason championship which rules them out to actually do anything productive on the field. Can't wait to see everyone on the forum picking the Seahawks to win the Superbowl and then watch them fall flat on their face. Same story different team.

Yeah, just cause it happened to Philly doesn't meany anything about Seattle. Totally different situations.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't official yet. Just saying.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Adopt a T-Wolf: Ricky Rubio APG: 9.6 SPG: 3.09 RPG: 4.8
Mattwaukee wrote:
If I'm taking players for next year I'm taking Cobb over anyone not named Johnson.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Your move, Jim! Cool

I absolutely love this move.

San Francisco already made their move by signing Nnamdi Asomugha.

Seattle is just answering.

But yeah, I'm guessing San Fran will be looking for a way to one up Seattle. I'd find it hilarious if San Fran signed a backup punter just for the lulz, and a day later the breaking news is Seattle also signs a backup punter.

Laughing

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
BigJohnson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fieldy wrote:
BigJohnson wrote:

Yeah, just cause it happened to Philly doesn't meany anything about Seattle. Totally different situations.

Well obviously its different situations. Two different teams with different coaches, different players, etc. But I'm a Redskins fan who watched them for years trying to win the offseason championship and it just doesn't work. Not just for the Redskins, or the Eagles in 2011, but for anyone. What about everyone thinking last offseason the Bills were going to turn the corner by signing Mario Williams and Mark Anderson to solidify their new 4-3 defense? Or Tampa Bay going 7-9 after an offseason haul of Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, and Eric Wright? There are countless examples every year of how not to build a winning team.

I'm not going to argue that Winfield wouldn't be an upgrade in the slot for the Seahawks, obviously he would. Not going to argue the fact that Percy is a dynamic talent that any team would be lucky to have. Not even going to argue against the Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril signings because they were reasonable contracts that should boost their pass rush. But all of these moves look good only on paper, and unfortunately for them, games aren't won on paper.

Football is such a different sport than any other. There is a certain intangible aspect of the game of football that is impossible for people to understand. Talent in the NFL means less than any other sport. It requires 53 men to work hard and all know their roles from the starting QB to the long snapper to the guy on the scout team that gives the starting team a good look. It's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say since this aspect of football is not really even describable. But basically what I am insinuating is that when a team starts bringing in a bunch of guys to supposedly put a team "over the top," the guys from last year start wondering, "Hey, was I not good enough?" Or "Why is this guy making 5 million dollars more a year than me when I was the one that laid my body on the line for this team last year?" It sounds corny but its the truth. The team dynamic should not be underestimated. Its a game of continuity from the front office, to the coaching staff, all the way down through the players. Everyone has to be on the same page, just like all 11 guys have to be on the same page on every play for a play to be successful. 10 guys doing their job out of 11 isn't good enough.

And this isn't even taking into consideration the expectations for that team next year. When everyone is crowning you offseason champs and propping you up to be some great football team before games are even played, players will naturally not work as hard. Even if its not intentional, its just a fact that you won't work as hard when your being told that your great. It's what makes repeating a superbowl win near impossible. And it's the same reason that teams that add a bunch of new faces tend not to live up to expectations.

I wish I could do a better job of getting my point across, but it is just a fact that offseason champs do not automatically become a power house on the field. The same people saying the Ravens are going to go 8-8 and that the Seahawks just punched their ticket to the super bowl don't understand that games aren't played on paper. It takes continuity. It takes hard work. And it takes everyone knowing their role and being on the same page. All of those things are a lot harder to achieve when your trading draft picks that would turn into young, hungry players and dishing out 60 million dollar contracts to perceived head cases. Or adding a bunch of new pieces on defense. I'm sorry but it's just a fact.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnson wrote:

Not really, Seattle has allowed the market to come to them. Avril, Bennett and Harvin are all young guys with their best ball ahead of them (unlike say Cullen Jenkins,Babin,Asomugha,Samuel). All the contracts are completely palatable as well.

The continuity is still in the places it needs to be: Cable with his 7 returning linemen that can start, the Wilson/Unger relationship, the Lynch/Robinson relationship, the Wilson/Bevell maturation, the CBs/Thomas/Chancellor relationship.
sirensong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnson wrote:
Fieldy wrote:
BigJohnson wrote:

Well obviously its different situations. Two different teams with different coaches, different players, etc. But I'm a Redskins fan who watched them for years trying to win the offseason championship and it just doesn't work. Not just for the Redskins, or the Eagles in 2011, but for anyone. What about everyone thinking last offseason the Bills were going to turn the corner by signing Mario Williams and Mark Anderson to solidify their new 4-3 defense? Or Tampa Bay going 7-9 after an offseason haul of Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, and Eric Wright? There are countless examples every year of how not to build a winning team.

I'm not going to argue that Winfield wouldn't be an upgrade in the slot for the Seahawks, obviously he would. Not going to argue the fact that Percy is a dynamic talent that any team would be lucky to have. Not even going to argue against the Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril signings because they were reasonable contracts that should boost their pass rush. But all of these moves look good only on paper, and unfortunately for them, games aren't won on paper.

Football is such a different sport than any other. There is a certain intangible aspect of the game of football that is impossible for people to understand. Talent in the NFL means less than any other sport. It requires 53 men to work hard and all know their roles from the starting QB to the long snapper to the guy on the scout team that gives the starting team a good look. It's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say since this aspect of football is not really even describable. But basically what I am insinuating is that when a team starts bringing in a bunch of guys to supposedly put a team "over the top," the guys from last year start wondering, "Hey, was I not good enough?" Or "Why is this guy making 5 million dollars more a year than me when I was the one that laid my body on the line for this team last year?" It sounds corny but its the truth. The team dynamic should not be underestimated. Its a game of continuity from the front office, to the coaching staff, all the way down through the players. Everyone has to be on the same page, just like all 11 guys have to be on the same page on every play for a play to be successful. 10 guys doing their job out of 11 isn't good enough.

And this isn't even taking into consideration the expectations for that team next year. When everyone is crowning you offseason champs and propping you up to be some great football team before games are even played, players will naturally not work as hard. Even if its not intentional, its just a fact that you won't work as hard when your being told that your great. It's what makes repeating a superbowl win near impossible. And it's the same reason that teams that add a bunch of new faces tend not to live up to expectations.

I wish I could do a better job of getting my point across, but it is just a fact that offseason champs do not automatically become a power house on the field. The same people saying the Ravens are going to go 8-8 and that the Seahawks just punched their ticket to the super bowl don't understand that games aren't played on paper. It takes continuity. It takes hard work. And it takes everyone knowing their role and being on the same page. All of those things are a lot harder to achieve when your trading draft picks that would turn into young, hungry players and dishing out 60 million dollar contracts to perceived head cases. Or adding a bunch of new pieces on defense. I'm sorry but it's just a fact.

I get what your saying I do, but chemistry might well be the single strongest thing this team has going for it and the guys being brought in arent taking jobs away from people, their complementing what we have while filling holes.

Tate and Rice still start. Harvin will be in the slot and Baldwin still sees the field.

Clem is coming off a MAJOR injury, Avril is insurance and open up options. Bennett replaces Jason Jones who was leaving, and will light a fire under Bryant while being their interior pass rusher in passing situations.

Winfield fills a nearly empty postion, Thurmond misses more games than he plays, Lane has show flashes but is a developing special teams player right now.

Because we had success all of a sudden the addtions are being picked apart. This is nothing new, Pete LOVES adding talent and preaches competition every single day and refuses to have anyone feel complacent.

The entire secondary is Pete Carroll additions, the entire OL besides Unger. Both TE's All the RB's 2 of the starting LB's, All the QB's All the receivers.

This team undergoes big time turnover and big time talent addition EVERY offseason, this isnt them changing the formula. This is the formula, add talent add talent and add more talent its what Pete does every single year. We have huge turnover year to year and its slowed as weve got more successfull.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: