Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign former Raiders DL Tommy Kelly to 2-year deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 40666
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Patriots sign former Raiders DL Tommy Kelly to 2-year deal Reply with quote

Quote:
Source: #Patriots and former #Raiders DT Tommy Kelly agree to a two-year deal, I'm told. Great fit. Bet @wilfork75 will be pumped.


http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/321340494628130816

The long-time Raiders DT recorded 14.5 sacks during the 2010-2011 seasons but those are sandwiched between 1 sack seasons in 2009 and 2012.

Kelly started every game since the 2008 season and should provide much needed interior pass-rush help for the Patriots IF motivated.



***Update***
Breakdown of Kelly's contract:
Quote:
2013
Base salary: $950,000
Workout bonus: $50,000
Roster bonus: $31,250 per game that Kelly is active (maximum value of $500,000)

2014
Base salary: $1.95 million
Workout bonus: $50,000
Roster bonus: $31,250 per game that Kelly is active (maximum value of $500,000)


http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741948/inside-kellys-two-year-deal
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute


Last edited by Billy Spikes on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:00 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 16827
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of when the Patriots signed Albert Haynesworth. Not as bad as him in terms of volatility but I wouldn't call this a 'great' signing...
_________________
Hokie wrote:
Yall remember that one time Burifict made a tackle and didn't have to leave the game? Good times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver&Black88


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 33650
Location: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised at all.
_________________

Professor Oak wrote:
Don't listen to the naysayers, S&B88.

SoS is in fact French. I've frenched his toast a couple of times. I think I would know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChazStandard


Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 3985
Location: The bandwagon, hop on up!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynesworth and Chad cured me of my optimism. As such I shall spew a satisfyingly down-beat company line:

Kelly sucks. He will not be good here. He will be cut before training camp. Also BB can't evaluate talent and relies on signing vets. The Pats are screwed.
_________________
Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!


Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 40 Yards: 558 TDs: 7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
PatriotsWin!


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 18573
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Reminds me of when the Patriots signed Albert Haynesworth. Not as bad as him in terms of volatility but I wouldn't call this a 'great' signing...


It's a fair comparison, but like with Haynesworth there's a ton of ability if (I realize it's a big if) he can get motivated it could be a huge boost for the interior line. It's another low risk, high reward type situation.
_________________

Mack on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaidersAreOne


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 9395
Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Reminds me of when the Patriots signed Albert Haynesworth. Not as bad as him in terms of volatility but I wouldn't call this a 'great' signing...


It's a fair comparison, but like with Haynesworth there's a ton of ability if (I realize it's a big if) he can get motivated it could be a huge boost for the interior line. It's another low risk, high reward type situation.


I think he will do very well in NE. Keeping him motivated and in line are top priorities for him. Way to many penalties and dumb plays.
_________________

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 16827
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Reminds me of when the Patriots signed Albert Haynesworth. Not as bad as him in terms of volatility but I wouldn't call this a 'great' signing...


It's a fair comparison, but like with Haynesworth there's a ton of ability if (I realize it's a big if) he can get motivated it could be a huge boost for the interior line. It's another low risk, high reward type situation.


Agreed. If it works out, Kelly and Fork will be tough to stop. Just not sure if the Patriots can get everything out of Kelly. Or get it out of him consistently I should say. He'll at least flash at times which Haynesworth couldn't even do...
_________________
Hokie wrote:
Yall remember that one time Burifict made a tackle and didn't have to leave the game? Good times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MonserinNC


Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 5231
Location: Back in the CHIIII
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this better than the Haynesworth signing, Haynesworth had made enough money where he was ready to quit football. I think Tommy Kelly still would like another contract.
_________________


BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real


Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9776
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably will make the team as a rotational pass rusher, not a starter. The Patriots always do this kind of thing, picking up "declining" veterans for cheap. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. We'll see.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League


Last edited by TheKillerNacho on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
deuces22wild


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 9052
Location: Deadpulse sigging it up
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
I like this better than the Haynesworth signing, Haynesworth had made enough money where he was ready to quit football. I think Tommy Kelly still would like another contract.


Kelly will be going on 35 when this contract is up, can't see many teams lining up at that point.
_________________

Michael Johnson 15 tackles | 2 sacks | 1 ff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MonserinNC


Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 5231
Location: Back in the CHIIII
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
I like this better than the Haynesworth signing, Haynesworth had made enough money where he was ready to quit football. I think Tommy Kelly still would like another contract.


Kelly will be going on 35 when this contract is up, can't see many teams lining up at that point.


Oh ok yikes, I didnt know he was that old, yea this probably is a little closer to the Haynesworth signing now, haha, he might have the title motivation more than Haynesworth did though.
_________________


BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real


Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PatriotsWin!


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 18573
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
I like this better than the Haynesworth signing, Haynesworth had made enough money where he was ready to quit football. I think Tommy Kelly still would like another contract.


Kelly will be going on 35 when this contract is up, can't see many teams lining up at that point.


Oh ok yikes, I didnt know he was that old, yea this probably is a little closer to the Haynesworth signing now, haha, he might have the title motivation more than Haynesworth did though.


he's 32
_________________

Mack on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Babylon


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 1382
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's an old depth signing, closer to Gerard Warren or Shaun Ellis were with the Patriots then fat Albert.

Don't make much of this move, because there's little to make of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Rob


Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 2049
Location: Long Beach, Ca
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

called this when we cut him...good pick up for NE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaiderX


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 20596
Location: Crown Town, CA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They love our scraps. Interesting to see an outspoken guy with Belichick. Doubt it lasts long, but we'll see.
_________________

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group