Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys working on signing former Texans OT Eric Winston
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Cowboys working on signing former Texans OT Eric Winston Reply with quote

Quote:
Cowboys now in talks to sign former Chiefs OT Eric Winston.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/321345536269643777

Quote:
Hear there's mutual interest between ex-#Chiefs RT Eric Winston and the #Cowboys. Dallas also looked into Tyson Clabo.

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/321345357764243456

Quote:
With #Cowboys & Eric Winston heating up (per source) what does this mean for Doug Free? I'm told this doesn't necessarily mean his departure

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/321346085895426048

***Update***
Quote:
Eric Winston's opportunity with Cowboys is tied to Doug Free's willingness to reduce $7 million salary. That's obvious.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/321401126073278464

***Update***
Quote:
#Cowboys asked starting RT Doug Free to take a pay cut from his $7M salary, sources say. It would free up money to sign RT Eric Winston.

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/321658166188335104
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this means the release of Doug Free is imminent.

^^^mack
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooooo!

Still want this guy in Miami...

Nacho Simulation Football League
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
I hope this means the release of Doug Free is imminent.

As stated in the OP about it:

Quote:
With #Cowboys & Eric Winston heating up (per source) what does this mean for Doug Free? I'm told this doesn't necessarily mean his departure

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/321346085895426048

Of course, that source could be wrong.
Tom Brady Tribute
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great run blocker, but really struggles in pass protection; If there is a speedy pass rusher with a good first step, Winston is usually toast on the edges. Tony Romo is good at moving around and buying himself time, so that should make this a non-factor.

Winston is also a gritty dude, willing to throw down if things start to get scrappy. Always a nice asset to have.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Great run blocker, but really struggles in pass protection; If there is a speedy pass rusher with a good first step, Winston is usually toast on the edges. Tony Romo is good at moving around and buying himself time, so that should make this a non-factor.

Winston is also a gritty dude, willing to throw down if things start to get scrappy. Always a nice asset to have.

I keep hearing this about Winston but from what I can tell its being really over-exaggerated. Winston isn't a great pass protector, but I wouldn't say he "really struggles" with it... he's been at least average in his NFL career as a pass protector. He only gave up 4 sacks last year for the Chiefs.

Nacho Simulation Football League
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

I keep hearing this about Winston but from what I can tell its being really over-exaggerated. Winston isn't a great pass protector, but he's been average in his NFL career. He only gave up 4 sacks last year for the Chiefs.

How often did the Chiefs pass last season? With the carosel that was Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn, I know the Chiefs finally said "to hell with it" and just handed the ball off a lot more than your normal NFL team. I know when he was on a team that looked for a 50/50 balance, Winston was equally 50/50 - there were times where he looked good, there were times where speed rushers just crushed him on the edge.

Granted, he had a slew of edge rushers to compete against when he was a Texan, so maybe my view is skewed a bit - so take it for what its worth. It isn't the WORST (so maybe I am actually mis-stating it) but there is a LOT of room for improvement.

fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be a solid signing. Maybe Free moves to OG? His cap hit makes him harder to cut then his play does.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I forgot he was still on the market. He must have been asking for a lot or has a ton of bad tape.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

I keep hearing this about Winston but from what I can tell its being really over-exaggerated. Winston isn't a great pass protector, but he's been average in his NFL career. He only gave up 4 sacks last year for the Chiefs.

How often did the Chiefs pass last season? With the carosel that was Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn, I know the Chiefs finally said "to hell with it" and just handed the ball off a lot more than your normal NFL team. I know when he was on a team that looked for a 50/50 balance, Winston was equally 50/50 - there were times where he looked good, there were times where speed rushers just crushed him on the edge.

Granted, he had a slew of edge rushers to compete against when he was a Texan, so maybe my view is skewed a bit - so take it for what its worth. It isn't the WORST (so maybe I am actually mis-stating it) but there is a LOT of room for improvement.

475 pass attempts for the Chiefs last season which was 29th in the NFL (Only the Skins, 49ers and Seahawks passed less). The Ravens who were 15th in the NFL had about ~100 more pass attempts. So yeah, ET is right...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
Would be a solid signing. Maybe Free moves to OG? His cap hit makes him harder to cut then his play does.

I wouldn't believe any part of Rap's update. If Winston is signed than Free is definitely gone. His cap is too much to keep for a back-up.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:

I wouldn't believe any part of Rap's update. If Winston is signed than Free is definitely gone. His cap is too much to keep for a back-up.

Maybe a move to OG is possible? although he is already over-paid as a OT, doesn't make much sense.
Tom Brady Tribute
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:

We save like 7M in cap if we cut Free. So he is absolutely not going to be on the Cowboys opening day. There is no way he will be here.

I would love this signing. Adding him would be a huge upgrade for us, as Doug Free is absolutely terrible. He is one of the worst starting RTs I have ever seen suit up for the Cowboys. He rivals Stone Feet Pettite.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
So yeah, ET is right...

I...I love you. Very Happy

superfly3176

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with this if it means Doug Free is gone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: