Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys working on signing former Texans OT Eric Winston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:
Would be a solid signing. Maybe Free moves to OG? His cap hit makes him harder to cut then his play does.

I wouldn't believe any part of Rap's update. If Winston is signed than Free is definitely gone. His cap is too much to keep for a back-up.

Maybe a move to OG is possible? although he is already over-paid as a OT, doesn't make much sense.

I really can't see that happening either. He gave up sacks getting bull rushed rather getting beat off the edge. You never want that trait on a guard.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
Rosstafarian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Great run blocker, but really struggles in pass protection; If there is a speedy pass rusher with a good first step, Winston is usually toast on the edges. Tony Romo is good at moving around and buying himself time, so that should make this a non-factor.

Winston is also a gritty dude, willing to throw down if things start to get scrappy. Always a nice asset to have.

I keep hearing this about Winston but from what I can tell its being really over-exaggerated. Winston isn't a great pass protector, but he's been average in his NFL career. He only gave up 4 sacks last year for the Chiefs.

How often did the Chiefs pass last season? With the carosel that was Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn, I know the Chiefs finally said "to hell with it" and just handed the ball off a lot more than your normal NFL team. I know when he was on a team that looked for a 50/50 balance, Winston was equally 50/50 - there were times where he looked good, there were times where speed rushers just crushed him on the edge.

Granted, he had a slew of edge rushers to compete against when he was a Texan, so maybe my view is skewed a bit - so take it for what its worth. It isn't the WORST (so maybe I am actually mis-stating it) but there is a LOT of room for improvement.

Meh, he's not a great pass protector but he more than makes up for it with how good he is at run blocking. The problem is his agent, Rosenhaus has supposedly said Winston wants like $7m - $9m a year to be a RT, which is a ridiculous amount for that particular position.

I'm actually very surprised the Jaguars haven't contacted him yet, seems like he would be a good fit for them on the right side, with Monroe on the left.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Great run blocker, but really struggles in pass protection; If there is a speedy pass rusher with a good first step, Winston is usually toast on the edges. Tony Romo is good at moving around and buying himself time, so that should make this a non-factor.

Winston is also a gritty dude, willing to throw down if things start to get scrappy. Always a nice asset to have.

I keep hearing this about Winston but from what I can tell its being really over-exaggerated. Winston isn't a great pass protector, but I wouldn't say he "really struggles" with it... he's been at least average in his NFL career as a pass protector. He only gave up 4 sacks last year for the Chiefs.

you obviously hear more than you see.

he can't pass block for toffee.

S. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta protect the investment in Tony....
It could work out well for the Cowboys if they get the deal done.

*edit* If his pass blocking sucks as much as the Texans fans are stating, then maybe that's why he's been available for this long. Maybe this isn't the best thing for protecting Romo.
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a new RT very much. I would like bringing in someone like Winston. This will almost certainly mean Free is gone, which I would be happy about.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this means Clabo to SD...

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MaclinandMCcoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

I keep hearing this about Winston but from what I can tell its being really over-exaggerated. Winston isn't a great pass protector, but I wouldn't say he "really struggles" with it... he's been at least average in his NFL career as a pass protector. He only gave up 4 sacks last year for the Chiefs.

Damn, I would pass block for toffee.....haven't had good toffee in a while.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Eric Winston's opportunity with Cowboys is tied to Doug Free's willingness to reduce $7 million salary. That's obvious.

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/321401126073278464
Tom Brady Tribute
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

I've watched plenty of Winston. He's not a great pass protector, but he's average. As ET said, has trouble against the speed rush. But he's ultimately serviceable as a pass protector considering he's a RT.

Nacho Simulation Football League
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely mean that bum Free is gone. His contract is so ridiculous.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign Winston cut Free Pray Pray Pray

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a good pickup for Dallas. Winston's a good asset to have on your team.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

I've watched plenty of Winston. He's not a great pass protector, but he's average. As ET said, has trouble against the speed rush. But he's ultimately serviceable as a pass protector considering he's a RT.

I'd call it more that trouble, to be honest. Maybe it's a case of Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis being that GOOD, but I don't think I've seen someone as lost against those two as Winston was. Jason Babin has completely undressed Winston at times, Kyle Vanden Bosch (KVB with and without Fat Al, mind you) has destroyed Winston in pass protection...only real time in which Winston was "good" in pass pro is when the Texans run the PA boot to his side, where he doesn't have to backpeddle and punch away defenders...

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
#Cowboys asked starting RT Doug Free to take a pay cut from his $7M salary, sources say. It would free up money to sign RT Eric Winston.

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/321658166188335104

So the Cowboys are telling Free "can you take a pay cut so we can sign someone to replace you?" Laughing

Edit:
Quote:
Problem with cutting Doug Free: His dead money number and cap number are the same: $10M. Cutting doesn't help, unless he's June 1 cut.

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/321659640297443328
Tom Brady Tribute
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
I hope this means the release of Doug Free is imminent.

I thought Cowboys fans were real high on Doug Free a few years ago?

I remember in the Vikings/Cowboys playoff game, Cowboys fans were saying Free would just shut down Allen.

(boy were they wrong. Laughing )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: