Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign WR Emmanuel Sanders to offer; Steelers match
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Kind of odd that it's only a 1 year deal. Unless there is a wink wink deal with the agent for an extension...

Not odd at all - makes it harder for the Steelers to match it considering their cap situation this year.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Kind of odd that it's only a 1 year deal. Unless there is a wink wink deal with the agent for an extension...

Not odd at all - makes it harder for the Steelers to match it considering their cap situation this year.

The could achieve that with a multi-year deal as well. The Patriots are giving up a 3rd round pick for a player that's only under contract for 1 year.

They could have structured a multi-year deal with a $4m cap hit in year one that the Steelers would have had to match. I'm calling Patriot shenanigans...

Last edited by TheVillain112 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one year part is more to satisfy Sanders. He doesn't want to give up his chance to hit free agency, and playing for a year with Tom Brady and then hitting free agency could turn out great for him.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to all of New England's draft picks? I'm so used to Belichick hoarding pick after pick, it's very strange to see them down to what will likely just be 4 picks after the Steelers let Sanders walk.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
What happened to all of New England's draft picks? I'm so used to Belichick hoarding pick after pick, it's very strange to see them down to what will likely just be 4 picks after the Steelers let Sanders walk.

Well Billy posted this in the Patriots forum:

Billy Spikes wrote:
I guess that back in the 2010 draft, the Patriots wanted to draft Sanders in the 3rd round but the Steelers took him a few picks earlier. The Patriots ended up taking Taylor Price in the 3rd.

Also:
Quote:
Last 8 #Patriots WR draft picks: Jeremy Ebert, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman, Matt Slater, Chad Jackson, PK Sam, Bethel Johnson

http://twitter.com/evansilva/statuses/321999413713182720

Probably smart to use the 3rd on Sanders instead of drafting a receiver...
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I'm not questioning the wisdom of this move, I'm just more shocked to see New England down to so few draft picks either way is all. Even without this move they'd have only 5 picks, which is low to begin with, particularly for Belichick, who got into a habit for at least a couple of years where he'd keep trading down to pick up additional future picks as if he was saving up to have every single draft pick in 2025.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This move all but makes Cincinnati the prohibitive favorite to win the AFC North. The Steelers and Ravens have had some pretty significant losses to core members of the team.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
This move all but makes Cincinnati the prohibitive favorite to win the AFC North. The Steelers and Ravens have had some pretty significant losses to core members of the team.

Ehhhh. We're not that good when we're considered the favorites...
The Third Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be bill is not impressed with this draft class. He usually trades away for the future when that is the case.

*Actual time may vary.
game3525

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Unless Cincy somehow got a new QB, I don't see how they have surpass Baltimore.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Expect Steelers to match Patriots offer sheet and retain WR Emmanual Sanders. He's vital after loss of Mike Wallace and offer easy to match

http://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/statuses/322006954069352449

Quote:
What could prevent Steelers from matching Pats on Emmanual Sanders? Only 3 teams have less cap space. Pick No. 91 may tempt GM Kevin Colbert

http://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/statuses/322009542579859456
Tom Brady Tribute
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
I think the one year part is more to satisfy Sanders. He doesn't want to give up his chance to hit free agency, and playing for a year with Tom Brady and then hitting free agency could turn out great for him.

Right, but it would be a bad deal for the Pats to give up a 3rd for a player who could break out and hit free agency in 1 year.

If the Steelers match, then thanks Pats for causing them more cap related consternation. I'd be more tempted by a 3rd round pick with how well the Steelers seem to develop wide receivers, though.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming Steelers don't ruin their ability to get their draft picks signed under the cap:

I'm cool either way with this. I like Sanders but he's not a real gamechanger or anything, and this draft is deep enough at positions we need that I'd be fine with the extra pick. Maybe target Bailey if he's around in the third or something if they want to directly replace the WR.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really worth a 3rd but I guess with their recent drafted WRs being mostly all bust, it was a smart move.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
BP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
BP wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
Pats are going after the small quick type.
Sanders doesn't exactly fit my definition of small however. Standing six feet tall, and 200 pounds of sheer muscle? The dude is quick yeah, but he's also got some pretty decent vertical speed by NFL wide receiver standards IMO.

He is listed as 5'11 180...

Have you seen the guy on the football field?
So, 5'11 v. 6'0, an inch, and an unofficial weight of 180 v. 200 lbs., which can fluctuate at varying points between the summer, fall, and winter. He's not big but I didn't say he was big, I just said he isn't small, which he isn't. Semantics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: