Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign WR Emmanuel Sanders to offer; Steelers match
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
patman wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Can't blame Pittsburgh if they let him go given the circumstances. But I like it for New England.

NE and Brady will find a way to make Sanders very productive IMO.

Sanders has talent, but it gets annoying how every player that is signed by the Pats is expected to be made into a star.

I think that theory has been debunked several times.

Dont get me wrong, I think he could have success in New England, but what exactly has he shown that makes you think he could be much more productive there than in Pittsburgh? Not out of the question, but its not one of those "match made in heaven" type of deals.

He is not going to be a "star". he is being paid to be a solid player- that is it. His production will most likely be more in NE because NE throws the ball about 5 times more a game. I would think he will get about 3-5 rec a game. 60 a year tops.

I wasnt debating that.

Just the claim that the Pats will make him "highly productive". It could happen...just saying that he has had his chances here and has never capitalized. I do think he is a good fit there, but not a slam dunk to do more than be a decent slot guy.

The thing is sanders is going to get a lot more opportunities if this were to go through than he ever did in Pittsburgh. He was the third best wideout there, and was targeted 69 times. For comparisons sake Brandon Lloyd was targeted 129 times. He won't be a different player. It's not unreasonable to project better numbers simply because he'd get used a lot more. That said I can't see pit letting him leave at this price.

Oh, I agree with that....just saying that it shouldnt just be assumed that he will be much better there.

Also, its worth noting that his injuries and general inconsistency has limited his opportunities here, so its reasonable to think that the same could hold him back in New England.

Again, Ive said many times, I think he is a good fit for New England and could have success there, but I just hope people dont pimp this move out like its some brilliant move. It could if Sanders had an amazing season, but at this point, Sanders is just a decent receiver with injury and consistency issues.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Early rumbling is that #Patriots offer sheet is $4 million for one year #steelers

http://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/statuses/321998828523892737

if thats the case they cant match it right because they dont have the cap right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Early rumbling is that #Patriots offer sheet is $4 million for one year #steelers

if thats the case they cant match it right because they dont have the cap right?

In theory... but 1) the latest is that its 2.5 mil and 2) they can cut some players or restructure to free cap room. Sanders is a starter so expecting them to just let him walk is unrealistic when its all said and done i think.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sanders could thrive in New England.

If he can stay healthy, he'll be productive, and New England will certainly get the most out of him.

Good signing.

I think this confirms what I've been believing all along: Cordarrelle Patterson will be a Steeler if he's available.

down but not out. I still believe!
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:

The offer is $2.5M and the Steelers have room to match it now without cutting/restructuring.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I think Sanders could thrive in New England.

If he can stay healthy, he'll be productive, and New England will certainly get the most out of him.

Good signing.

I think this confirms what I've been believing all along: Cordarrelle Patterson will be a Steeler if he's available.

Doesnt mean that at all.

I like Patterson, but for all we know, they may not even a first round grade on him.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:

The offer is $2.5M and the Steelers have room to match it now without cutting/restructuring.

They are reportedly bringing in Ahmad Bradshaw for another visit.

Its doubtful we dont sign him if we are bringing him in again, since last time they were close to signing him.

In that case, I cant see them matching the offer.

I like Sanders, but IMO, the Steelers dont value you him that much. I know Colbert said they would match the offer, but I dont know how true that is. If they valued him that much, they wouldve given him a higher tender.

I dont care either way, but at this point, I dont see us matching the offer sheet.

w4rrior723

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
Pittsburgh always seems to have issues with their talented receivers.

I'd like to believe that it's all Ben Roethlisberger making these guys talented... Yeah I'd like to believe that.

I diagree. If anything, barring last year, our WRs have been carrying this offense along with Ben. I want Sanders gone so we can get better players. Sanders has huge potential but injuries and other factors have limited his production.

That could be the case. But seems like a theme with Plax, Holmes, Wallace, and now Sanders.

Last edited by w4rrior723 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand the fuss about Sanders. Is he really that good to the point where you cannot get a comparable if not better for a third round pick?

With how deep this class is, there's a good chance a guy like Chris Harper or Terrance Williams could be available at NE's third round choice.

I don't get it... Rolling Eyes

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
I really don't understand the fuss about Sanders. Is he really that good to the point where you cannot get a comparable if not better for a third round pick?

With how deep this class is, there's a good chance a guy like Chris Harper or Terrance Williams could be available at NE's third round choice.

I suppose the Patriots figure that they won't take a WR with the first couple picks, [they will probably add a pass-rusher] and they rather take Sanders who they know what they get with, with their fourth to last pick in the 3rd round [without compensatory picks included] over any possible receiver that should be available.
Tom Brady Tribute
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pats sure flipped their philosophy regarding draft picks... So they could be without a 3rd, 4th and 5th this year?

The Rebuild Has Begun...
TGShabba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
The Pats sure flipped their philosophy regarding draft picks... So they could be without a 3rd, 4th and 5th this year?

Bill is all about value. We saw him move up twice in the first two rounds last year because of the new rookie wage scale. The top 30 picks are no longer earning ridiculous contracts based solely on potential.
Rygar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
I diagree. If anything, barring last year, our WRs have been carrying this offense along with Ben. I want Sanders gone so we can get better players. Sanders has huge potential but injuries and other factors have limited his production.

I disagree. WR has been the most overrated position on the Steelers for years now. Hines Ward is the only consistently good WR Ben Roethlisberger has ever had for an extended period of time. Plaxico Burress left after Roethlisberger's rookie season, and he's past his prime now. Antwaan Randle El made as many dumb plays as he did great plays. Nate Washington was OK. Cedrick Wilson was just a body. Santonio Holmes had potential, but he wasn't consistent, and he's only had one 1,000-yard receiving season in his entire career -- 2009, his last season with Roethlisberger. And he was functionally replaced by Mike Wallace, whose speed is his only superlative quality as a WR. Antonio Brown has potential, but he disappointed me last season. Emmanuel Sanders has had injury problems which have limited his development. Ben Roethlisberger has proven that he doesn't need an "elite" WR in order to be productive, which proves that he drives the offense, not the WRs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:

Because Sanders has "proved" he can be a #2 WR, the chance of him busting is a lot less than a wr picked after #90. Sanders is a safe bet and is cheap as rocks.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:

Maybe they have some more urgency to get a title before Brady declines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: