Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens re-sign OT Bryant McKinnie to a 2-year, $7M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Xenos


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 621
Location: State of Nirvana
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."

I don't think it helps that the state of California's taxation commandeers a healthy chunk of that "rich athlete money" that they never get a chance to spend.


That's no different from Maryland really. Taxes here are insane. In my honest opinion, I don't think San Diego or Miami were really that interested in signing McKinnie. His agent probably got him some team visits solely for the purpose of leverage.

San Diego definitely was interested. They just weren't willing to pay him that much after the Gaither incident.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14916
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Just about to post that.

McKinnie is trash. He's a blob who can't block speed rushers to save his life. His first step off the line is ridiculously horrible.

Be thankful man. Be thankful.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14916
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


I'll warn you now, be prepared to be disappointed when you watch him this year.

and before you ask: Yes, players do regress.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
rayvens4sb


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 277
Location: US
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


I'll warn you now, be prepared to be disappointed when you watch him this year.

and before you ask: Yes, players do regress.


Isn't that what Vikings fans said when the Ravens signed him, and even more so when he was benched at the beginning of the season? Vikings fans just have so much hate for him. I remember in one of the Super Bowl threads where Vikings fans were mad at how McKinnie won the Super Bowl, but were very happy that Birk won. Of course he could always become lazy again, but assuming that the contract is incentive based, which is likely the case, then McKinnie being in tons of debt should push him a bit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaTechRavens


Joined: 24 Nov 2006
Posts: 17703
Location: Madison, WI
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I almost feel like some Vikings fans enter a psychopathic rage whenver McKinnie is mentioned. I mean...we had a bad experience with Jared Gaither for having work ethic issues, but we don't actively despise the man.

Sorry guys, but McKinnie has in fact played well for us. I don't know if that's a "truth hurts" thing or what.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 23206
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


I'll warn you now, be prepared to be disappointed when you watch him this year.

and before you ask: Yes, players do regress.


What's going to make him suck all of the sudden? He's been solid so far since he's been here, and anytime he's gotten lazy, he sits his butt on the bench.

What's changed?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 23206
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Seriously, I almost feel like some Vikings fans enter a psychopathic rage whenver McKinnie is mentioned. I mean...we had a bad experience with Jared Gaither for having work ethic issues, but we don't actively despise the man.

Sorry guys, but McKinnie has in fact played well for us. I don't know if that's a "truth hurts" thing or what.


That's what I was thinking as well -- I mean, at this point, it's not as if we don't know what we're getting with the guy. This will be his 3rd year as a Raven -- it's not as if we're picking him up off the streets and expecting big things -- we know what he brings, what his limitations are, etc. We've seen it so far, and so far he's been pretty solid for us.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Integrity


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4218
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Seriously, I almost feel like some Vikings fans enter a psychopathic rage whenver McKinnie is mentioned. I mean...we had a bad experience with Jared Gaither for having work ethic issues, but we don't actively despise the man.

Sorry guys, but McKinnie has in fact played well for us. I don't know if that's a "truth hurts" thing or what.


I think the difference here is expectation. Gaither was taken in the 5th round of the supplemental draft. McKinnie was a top ten pick. Neither player lived up to their potential, but the Vikings invested so much more in McKinnie then the Ravens did in Gaither. I can kind of understand why Vikings' fans detest the guy.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patman


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 1002
Location: Tiverton RI
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


Because 4 games erases all his issues and the fact he didn't start a regular season game? Laughing


it is a solid signing and even a great signing if McKinnie can stay motivated. He was stuck on on the bench in his FA year and rose to the challenge when he convinced the coach to give him a shot. Well now that he has the money, we have to see if he reverts to form.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14916
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


I'll warn you now, be prepared to be disappointed when you watch him this year.

and before you ask: Yes, players do regress.


What's going to make him suck all of the sudden? He's been solid so far since he's been here, and anytime he's gotten lazy, he sits his butt on the bench.

What's changed?


I have a hard time believing McKinnie will stay motivated for long enough to be as good as you guys expect him to be.

He use to be a good player for the Vikings when he was younger, but then he stopped caring, most likely because our FO was pretty bad back in the day, and only up until now, has it really stabilized and become a pretty solid overall organization. McKinnie was probably just at the point where he didn't want to deal with it, and so he became fat and lazy.

He has all pro talent, but a penny for a brain and a horrible work ethic.

Maybe all he needed was a change of scenery? But regardless, I can't see him having another good year for you guys. He got what he wanted.

and I'm one of those Vikings fans who were happy Birk got a SB ring. See, he actually committed his time to football, and was always a great player for us. His work on and off the field was just great. He deserved it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 23206
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


Because 4 games erases all his issues and the fact he didn't start a regular season game? Laughing


it is a solid signing and even a great signing if McKinnie can stay motivated. He was stuck on on the bench in his FA year and rose to the challenge when he convinced the coach to give him a shot. Well now that he has the money, we have to see if he reverts to form.


To be fair, he wasn't "stuck on the bench" -- he was being lazy and in the doghouse. When he approached Harbaugh about more playing time, Harbaugh told him "Practice better and you'll play".
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 23206
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


I'll warn you now, be prepared to be disappointed when you watch him this year.

and before you ask: Yes, players do regress.


What's going to make him suck all of the sudden? He's been solid so far since he's been here, and anytime he's gotten lazy, he sits his butt on the bench.

What's changed?


I have a hard time believing McKinnie will stay motivated for long enough to be as good as you guys expect him to be.

He use to be a good player for the Vikings when he was younger, but then he stopped caring, most likely because our FO was pretty bad back in the day, and only up until now, has it really stabilized and become a pretty solid overall organization. McKinnie was probably just at the point where he didn't want to deal with it, and so he became fat and lazy.

He has all pro talent, but a penny for a brain and a horrible work ethic.

Maybe all he needed was a change of scenery? But regardless, I can't see him having another good year for you guys. He got what he wanted.

and I'm one of those Vikings fans who were happy Birk got a SB ring. See, he actually committed his time to football, and was always a great player for us. His work on and off the field was just great. He deserved it.


How is this year different than say 2011? He didn't cash in -- he got a moderate deal which is very likely incentive laden. In 2012, he was unmotivated and guess what? He sat on the bench until he decided not to be. John Harbaugh has no issue with sitting players he believes aren't giving 100% in practice, and that's exactly why McKinnie didn't start until the playoffs.

We understand he can be lazy, and we understand there can be a lack of motivation. Our point is, these things have been there the past 2 seasons as well and he's been solid for us (last season for the 4 games he decided to not be lazy) -- why should we expect that to all of the sudden change?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12988
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

I have a hard time believing McKinnie will stay motivated for long enough to be as good as you guys expect him to be.

He use to be a good player for the Vikings when he was younger, but then he stopped caring, most likely because our FO was pretty bad back in the day, and only up until now, has it really stabilized and become a pretty solid overall organization. McKinnie was probably just at the point where he didn't want to deal with it, and so he became fat and lazy.

He has all pro talent, but a penny for a brain and a horrible work ethic.

Maybe all he needed was a change of scenery? But regardless, I can't see him having another good year for you guys. He got what he wanted.

and I'm one of those Vikings fans who were happy Birk got a SB ring. See, he actually committed his time to football, and was always a great player for us. His work on and off the field was just great. He deserved it.

And I have a hard time believing you know how good we 'expect him to be'. You make it sound as though we are some ignorant vagrants with no working knowledge of what we're getting ourselves involved into.

McKinnie has been on the team for what is going to be going on three years. We expect him to be the same average to above average presence that he's been.

When McKinnie is motivated, he's a 'good' starting LT in this league. When his focus begins to wane, he's an 'average' starting LT in this league. When he becomes lazy and fat... he's a non-starting LT in this league. That's the pattern, those are the expectations.

If McKinnie STAYS motivated throughout 2013, then he'll be a 'good' starting LT and get paid accordingly. But his contract is riddled with incentives. I'm sure the team has included workout bonuses (judging by the fact that McKinnie is expected to attend the Ravens voluntary conditioning program) and games started incentives. And if McKinnie plays THAT well for THAT long, then you know what, $3.5m is probably a bargain in this league for that kind of play. If he doesn't, then he will make less and it will be a non-issue.

We have Oher to man LT and both Jah Reid (3rd rd) and Ricky Wagner (6th rd) to compete for the RT spot in the case that McKinnie decides he wants cheeseburgers over financial security. The fans expectations are that no matter the scenario... our bases are covered.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 84166
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is still getting work, and for 3.5 a year?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JMG


Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 3219
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
He is still getting work, and for 3.5 a year?
I get your post count means a lot to you. Anyway, I don't know which part about the OP wasn't clear to you.
_________________

[]_[] Family
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group