You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ed Reynolds... Overrated?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_rent87

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Ed Reynolds... Overrated? Reply with quote

Watching a ridiculous amount of game tape I believe Ed Reynolds is overrated. Even I mocked him in the first round without really watching him play just based off numbers and word of mouth. I will no longer do this.

-Despite his number of interceptions he does not have soft hands. He body catches interceptions often. Getting interceptions is great but he doesn't make the difficult picks.

-Reynolds is a pile watcher, often standing by. I know not throwing your body in there is smart, but he doesn't attack like I would like my safety too.

-Not a very physical player, gets driven back by bigger backs. Lunges at tackles with his arms. And constantly gets the worse end of sideline hits, but hey at least he is driving the guy out of bounds.

-Takes poor angles on throws underneath him.

Some positives

-Does break down at times, and can make some open field tackles. I fear however bigger backs in the league will run right through him

-Does get some interceptions, but this Ed Reynolds is no Ed Reed. Four of his interceptions came against Duke, Colorado, and WSU.

-He did return three for TD's even though he had clear paths

Summary: Made this quick, Reynolds is a draftable player but I don't see his game translating that well to the NFL, he is not a top 20 pick like I have seen. Lacks the physicality to man up in the NFL. Reminds me of Rahim Moore coming out, and I couldn't stand Rahim Moore's game after his lucky Sophmore ball hawking season. Rahim has improved his tackling greatly but he is still soft. Hopefully Reynolds is successful I just don't see the hype.

Props to Jamison on the sig
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reynolds is a great open field tackler with exceptional closing speed and very good ball skills. If he repeats what he did last season I don't see any way he doesn't go in the top 20 and I think he's the odds on favorite to be the first safety drafted.
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
green24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
Reynolds is a great open field tackler with exceptional closing speed and very good ball skills. If he repeats what he did last season I don't see any way he doesn't go in the top 20 and I think he's the odds on favorite to be the first safety drafted.

No he isn't. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix is.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading somewhere that interceptions were 65% random, and as such players tend to be overrated when they have one year with a lot of interceptions. In my opinion passes defensed is a far better statistic in assessing how well a player gets to the ball. I would say it is quite possible Reynolds is the David Amerson of this year, overrated at this point because of his interception count, but next year he will likely revert to the mean.
b_rent87

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
I watched six Stanford games and saw Reynolds miss tackles. He was not a presence enough for me in that department to warrant a top 20 pick. He doesn't break on the ball as well as his numbers indicate. For instance Rahim Moore had 5 tipped INT's his 9 pick season and two others were thrown right at him. And this he was vastly overrated

Props to Jamison on the sig
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll be nit picked to death by the time the draft comes around next year. Too many flaws to his game honestly. I'd compare him to Rahim Moore alot. That's not saying much becuase next years safety class is looking decent and Rahim Moore was a meh safety in a average meh class in the year he was drafted.

So I don't expect him to come off until early 3rd round

And right now there is no argument Clinton-Dix is the best safety. I don't think it will change even after the draft process. He is just well-round overall in every way in a high level.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_rent87 wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:
I watched six Stanford games and saw Reynolds miss tackles. He was not a presence enough for me in that department to warrant a top 20 pick. He doesn't break on the ball as well as his numbers indicate. For instance Rahim Moore had 5 tipped INT's his 9 pick season and two others were thrown right at him. And this he was vastly overrated

I have watched every game of Reynolds career he's a great open field tackler. You probable watched the games against UCLA he struggled vs their spread option
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
devils1854

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

No he isn't. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix is.

Reynolds inst a top 3 safety in the class. Haha, Loston, and Zimmerman are all better. Tre Boston will probably pass him, and I could see Ronald Martin shoot up draft boards since he will be a full time player with Reid leaving LSU.

#JDI

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: