Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Desmond Bishop Joins Vikings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saosin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Thread about Bishop being cut = Some Packer fans angry because they say he is still good.

Thread about Vikes signing Bishop - Vikes get ripped on.

Laughing

He's obviously regressed substantially from the time he was cut to being signed.

How do you know this?

The 2013 season hasn't even started yet.

No one knows if he'll regress or if he'll play better. Nothing is "obvious" now.

Eh?

Sarcasm isnt Steve's strong suit.

Anyway. I'm just glad the Vikings decided to get some LB depth. Wither he starts or not has yet to be seen.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Can't wait to see him attempt to bring down guys like Cobb, Franklin and Finley in space with his reduced speed Laughing

Nah, Minnesota is the fountain of youth. He'll probably win DPOY and have 3 pick 6's against Rodgers this year.

Good signing!
And I'll bet you my life neither of those 2 things happen. I would say it is much more likely that he gets burned repeatedly by Rodgers and our RB's/TE's/WR's rather than him getting 3 pick 6's. Guy was a liability in coverage in 2011. Decent blitzer and can tackle if he doesn't have to try to get off blocks but that is about it.

Its funny. You guys talked like he was a big hotshot not too long ago. Now all of a sudden he's horrible for no real reason at all. He could have a complete turnaround and be a great player. No one really knows how well he'll come back from his injury.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back and plays very well.

You keep on saying he'll get destroyed by the RBs/TEs/WRs, but thats assuming Green Bay just continuously dumps the ball down 5-10 yards pretty much every single play. Bishop will likely never line up against Cobb, will likely have help from the back end covering Finley, even though he's really not that good, and I guess we'll see how he does against that fat slob Eddie Lacy and Jon Franklin receiving all the dump downs. Again, I don't see a huge problem here. If we can mask his deficiencies in pass coverage, our LB core should be good. Shouldn't be too big of a problem if the Dline can come back completely healthy and ready to go.

Unfortunately, you guys don't run the ball very much at all, so we won't be able to watch blow up too many plays against you guys unless its a blitz on Rodgers.
I think Packer fans were hoping that Bishop would be healthy and bring some attitude to the defense. When he wasn't cleared for off season work outs and all that jazz the writing was on the wall. It was over. Same as when we tried to trade him during the draft. The Packers knew he wasn't healthy and that he wasn't going to be 2010 Desmond Bishop again. Heck not even 2011 Desmond Bishop, who was rather poor. It is clear his health didn't check out in Green Bay, we didn't even give him a chance, we just signed Brad Jones and moved forward.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Thread about Bishop being cut = Some Packer fans angry because they say he is still good.

Laughing

Our fans were just slow to realize that he was probably being cut for a reason. Minnesota singing him doesn't change that very likely reality. I know I was suggesting -- long before his new team was even interested in him -- that he may have lost a step after the injury. He's not a guy who has speed to lose.

If he has something left in the tank and gives them a serviceable year or two, good for them.

For our part, better to let a player go a year early than a year late.

Lorde <33333333
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

Laughing

Our fans were just slow to realize that he was probably being cut for a reason. Minnesota singing him doesn't change that very likely reality. I know I was suggesting -- long before his new team was even interested in him -- that he may have lost a step after the injury. He's not a guy who has speed to lose.

If he has something left in the tank and gives them a serviceable year or two, good for them.

For our part, better to let a player go a year early than a year late.

I know I just thought it was pretty funny.

Laughing

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd use the word 'angry" when describing how some fans feel. Disappointed might be more apropos. The thing a lot of Packer fans liked about Bishop is he is fierce and has the kind of attitude folks like in a ILBer. He was good against the run. But he isn't speedy so he had issues in pass coverage. His injury most likely has affected whatever speed he has left. This and the chance he could re-injure it were probably the reasons we let him walk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brinkley graded out as a poor player in coverage and as a run defender. The fact that bishop is an excellent run defender will dramatically improve one area on the vikes. His injury will be difficult to overcome but bishop is basically playing on a vet minimum deal if it doesn't work out.
BangBang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings love taking the Packers' leftovers.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saosin wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

Laughing

He's obviously regressed substantially from the time he was cut to being signed.

How do you know this?

The 2013 season hasn't even started yet.

No one knows if he'll regress or if he'll play better. Nothing is "obvious" now.

Eh?

Sarcasm isnt Steve's strong suit.

Anyway. I'm just glad the Vikings decided to get some LB depth. Wither he starts or not has yet to be seen.

Eh, its hard to express online.

I hope Bishop provides to be an immediate starter for us at MLB, pushing Erin Henderson back to what should be his most comfortable position at OLB.

down but not out. I still believe!
PackFan13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how upset all the vikings fans are getting with the funny jabs at the Vikings. That's a rivalry! Lighten up and put yourself in our shoes. If your teams demigod (Brent, who at one time was my favorite athlete ever) Signed with a heated rival while your team (the packers) were superior in character, class and super bowls Wink then you'd take jabs too! The AAA classic made me lol. I liked bishop and believe its worth a shot for the vikings (I hope he fails)

Waldo made this amazing sig
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan13 wrote:
I love how upset all the vikings fans are getting with the funny jabs at the Vikings. That's a rivalry! Lighten up and put yourself in our shoes. If your teams demigod (Brent, who at one time was my favorite athlete ever) Signed with a heated rival while your team (the packers) were superior in character, class and super bowls Wink then you'd take jabs too! The AAA classic made me lol. I liked bishop and believe its worth a shot for the vikings (I hope he fails)

I wouldnt say this is true for all fans. Some fans simply dont get emotionally attached to players. This is certainly true for me anyway. Adrian Peterson could wind up a Packer, and I wouldnt really be upset if MN had a plan in place to replace him.

At the end of the day, team is above all but we have seen this is far from the case for many fans. Especially in the case of Brett Favre.

As for jabs, I think most fans prefer to have positive and intellectual discussions, that is why most join FF and not the other hack message boards out there.
PackFan13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PackFan13 wrote:

I wouldnt say this is true for all fans. Some fans simply dont get emotionally attached to players. This is certainly true for me anyway. Adrian Peterson could wind up a Packer, and I wouldnt really be upset if MN had a plan in place to replace him.

At the end of the day, team is above all but we have seen this is far from the case for many fans. Especially in the case of Brett Favre.

As for jabs, I think most fans prefer to have positive and intellectual discussions, that is why most join FF and not the other hack message boards out there

You seem sophisticated.

Waldo made this amazing sig
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Brinkley graded out as a poor player in coverage and as a run defender. The fact that bishop is an excellent run defender will dramatically improve one area on the vikes. His injury will be difficult to overcome but bishop is basically playing on a vet minimum deal if it doesn't work out.

I agree that on a vet minimum contract why not, but the problem is in bold. Assuming it's true that the Packers releasing him was at least somewhat medical related, if he's lost a bit of speed or explosiveness, I don't really think you can count on him being even a decent run defender.

I remember way back when the Packers signed Hardy Nickerson. The LBs the year before had been so awful, the assumption was that he was a smart, talented vet, who would at least be solid in roles. Problem was dude had nothing left but fumes and might have been even worse than the guys he replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if Bishop as a starter in Minnesota ended up looking similar.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread has made me realize how underrated Desmond Bishop really is.

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PackFan13 wrote:

As for jabs, I think most fans prefer to have positive and intellectual discussions, that is why most join FF and not the other hack message boards out there.

A notion that a certain fanbase is seemingly struggling with quite clearly in this topic.

'AAA' Quality. Nice, guys. Laughing [/b]

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent pickup for Minnesota. You have to wonder if former Packer, Greg Jennings lured Bishop to Minnesota.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: