Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hernandez charged with murder - Released by Pats II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainhags wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
tom cody wrote:
Going to be a very interesting case for sure. I wonder if this will grab the national attention as much as the O.J. Simpson case.

I think it already has exceeded it, personally.

No WAY. I don't know how well you remember that trial, but it captured EVERYONE'S attention. Hell, every evening news broadcast had dedicated segments. Here in NY, Fox 5 had "The OJ Minute" at the end of each nightly broadcast.

If you recall, the white Bronco chase took place during the NBA finals, Knicks/Rockets series. I was at whichever game it was, there at MSG, and it was the only time I saw them showing anything but the game on the TVs throughout the arena.

The Hernandez situation is certainly a big deal media wise, but it hasn't come close to the OJ murder and subsequent trial in terms of media sensationalism.

The car chase got it a lot of attention off the bat, sure.

But, personally, up to this point in each situation, I think Hernandez's case has gotten more attention due to the sheer fact of how easily information spreads today compared to back when OJ committed his crime.

I think we'll see it continue to get even larger when it gets closer to the trial.

But, at the same points in each investigation, personally I feel Hernandez's story is at least right on par, if not slightly ahead.

That's just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OJ case got more attention because of race relations during that period.

It def. got people more invested in the case

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hernandez case is a huge deal among football fans but hasn't really produced an undue amount of outrage or attention in the outside media. People are aware of it of course, but it's honestly more of a sideshow for most of the general public. The George Zimmerman trial is attracting as much if not more media attention than the Hernandez proceedings at the moment, and in a lot of ways that trial can more directly be linked as a 'successor' to the OJ trial and controversy surrounding it than the Hernandez case.

I was only a little kid back during the OJ circus, but I still remember just how huge that was. Everyone, and I mean everyone, had an opinion on the matter and tensions ran exceptionally high. Hernandez doesn't really hold a candle to the intensity, attention, and anger created out of the OJ trial.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
The Hernandez case is a huge deal among football fans but hasn't really produced an undue amount of outrage or attention in the outside media. People are aware of it of course, but it's honestly more of a sideshow for most of the general public. The George Zimmerman trial is attracting as much if not more media attention than the Hernandez proceedings at the moment, and in a lot of ways that trial can more directly be linked as a 'successor' to the OJ trial and controversy surrounding it than the Hernandez case.

I was only a little kid back during the OJ circus, but I still remember just how huge that was. Everyone, and I mean everyone, had an opinion on the matter and tensions ran exceptionally high. Hernandez doesn't really hold a candle to the intensity, attention, and anger created out of the OJ trial.

Exactly. From the perspective of a FootballsFuture poster (and a prominent one at that), of course it seems like everyone cares about the Hernandez thing. But talk to people outside of football fandom, and they'll be like "Oh yeah I heard something about that... What happened?"

Between Zimmerman, Snowdon, etc, people just don't care/have time for some dummy football player.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
The OJ case got more attention because of race relations during that period.

It def. got people more invested in the case

I just read bts post and came to say the same thing. People forget that ojs trial was just a few short years after the Rodney king incident.

nit that we need to discuss that, but the oj case was big news for what was happening at the time.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
BenchSanchez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainhags wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Exactly. From the perspective of a FootballsFuture poster (and a prominent one at that), of course it seems like everyone cares about the Hernandez thing. But talk to people outside of football fandom, and they'll be like "Oh yeah I heard something about that... What happened?"

Between Zimmerman, Snowdon, etc, people just don't care/have time for some dummy football player.

Yeah people I've bumped into dont even know the name of AH, who he played for or even how good he was. They just heard about some football player. And this is in the world of social media.

Was not the case with OJ.

New York JetsRutgers Scarlet KnightsBrooklyn NetsNew York Mets
Xfaxtor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put things into perspective, my wife who btw is from Norway. Has zero knowledge of football. If I told her to name the football players she knows, two names will come up. Eli Manning cause hes QB for my favorite team and OJ because she remembers his trial. Yes, the OJ trial was shown live in Norway. Lets also not forget that compared to OJ, Aaron Hernandez football wise is a nobody.

^Joe_is_the_best
Bristow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also helps to understand that OJ was a HUGE star. Not only was he very well known as a football player, but he was an actor as well and had just been in the Naked Gun movies right before the murder. He was perceived as a fun, loveable guy. And he'd been in the public eye for more than a decade. Everyone knew him.

How many people outside football fans knew who Aaron Hernandez was? He certainly wasn't the loveable comedic movie star OJ was.
BangBang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenchSanchez wrote:
captainhags wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Yeah people I've bumped into dont even know the name of AH, who he played for or even how good he was. They just heard about some football player. And this is in the world of social media.

Was not the case with OJ.

Well, the OJ trial was really just a giant race war, a la this Trayvon Martin case. I'm NOT discussing race here! I'm just pointing out the main reason why the Hernandez case isn't as intriguing to the national public.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillSabre wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
The staff at the Bristol County House of Corrections has been warned -- if you treat Aaron Hernandez like a celebrity, you're in serious trouble.

TMZ has learned ... the Bristol County Sheriff issued a warning to all jail staff members about taking photos or seeking autographs from the county's most famous alleged murderer.

And there's more ... jail staffers have been instructed to give Hernandez NO SPECIAL TREATMENT. Same food, same privileges, same everything.

We're told any staffer who violates the rule is subject to discipline ranging from an admonition to outright termination.

As for Hernandez, so far he's not acting like a prima donna athlete -- a jail rep says he's made no requests for anything special.
How long before his book "How to Commit a Murders and Not Get Away With It" appears on Oprah's book list?

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/29/aaron-hernandez-jail-staff-inmates-instructed-no-autographs-pictures/

Star football players might act like a prima donna. This guy won't be acting like that because he's a gang member. He will fit right in their with other gang members and cold blooded killers. Look, sometimes bad things happen to good people. This is not the case. This is the total opposite. A bad guy slipped through the crack and made it all the way to the NFL. How, I don't know? Judging by each and every mistake he made with the murder of Odin, I'm surprised he can even wipe his own [inappropriate/removed] without making a mess!
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierrepet wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
BillSabre wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Let's say they find the murder weapon and there are multiple sets of prints on it. And they can place all 3 guys they've arrested at the scene.
How do they decide which one to charge as the trigger man?

I think in that scenario it would play out like this....... All three get charged with first degree murder and two of the three will immediately point the finger at the shooter.

What if all three pointed at each other?

It does not matter who actually pulled the trigger. All that is needed for a first degree murder conviction is "intent to kill or cause severe bodily harm." If the prosecution can prove that Hernandez was the mastermind behind the attack, or even that he was fairly certain that his actions would lead to his death, he is guilty.

The only time this is relevant is in the ppunishment phase (which will not happen unless he is found guilty). Obviously, a jury is more likely to give a harsher sentence to someone who actually pulled the trigger.
I tried to get this point through on the earlier thread. But some could not grasp the point. Even had they NOT known what was happening the other two would be in jeopardy of being charged with murder.

What is with these gang idiots, if you are going to kill someone DO IT ALONE. At least that is what I have always done.

Let's look at this: ONE guy couldn't keep a secret so I'll get TWO guys to go with me to kill him. ?????
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
boondock wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
What if all 3 aren't snitches?

That just throws a loop in any sort of plea deal.

Prosecution will have to really tighten their agenda if that's the case.

Hernandez could conceivably get off the murder charges with all the mostly circumstantial evidence.

Do they have the actual gun used?
Not a chance, he is done.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
BeeperKing wrote:

It doesn't matter here; Vick was never going to play another down for the Falcons but they still kept him for the money. It was an equal PR disaster.

I think the backlash for keeping Hernandez on the team would be much worse than anything we could imagine. We're talking about someone who may or may not be convicted of multiple murders. I can't even comprehend a team releasing a statement saying "Yes, we know Hernandez killed 3 people, devastating their families, but we're going to continue to have him on our team to save us some money, please continue supporting us by showing to our games every week"

This is what I got too.

No fan wants to wants to support a team who is keeping a potential mass murderer on their team just so they can keep some of his money.

Money is not everything. I know a lot of people have a hard time understanding this, but its true. I think it was a great move for the Patriots to completely try to wipe out Hernandez from their teams history as quickly as possible.

Wasn't there more news released that Hernandez was having an affair with a teacher back in Highschool? I haven't read every page yet...
Those falling all over themselves with praise of the Patriots need to point out a single team which would not have done the same. Heck, the Bears are cutting guys who get drunk not to mention the Dope Dealer they got out of Dallas, Sam Hurd.

Every team in the league would have cut H as soon as he was arrested for murder and the mountain of evidence came out.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
BillSabre wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
boondock wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
What if all 3 aren't snitches?

That just throws a loop in any sort of plea deal.

Prosecution will have to really tighten their agenda if that's the case.

Hernandez could conceivably get off the murder charges with all the mostly circumstantial evidence.

Do they have the actual gun used?

Dude, have you seen all the "circumstantial" evidence. There isn't a jury in the world that wouldn't convict him. I'm sorry but this is as simple as playing connect the dots. . . . . . . <------ could you make a straight line? This guy is guilty, it's pretty clear.

Once again. All of this evidence isn't even going to be used in court. We have no idea how weak the prosecution will be or how strong the defense will be or who will be selected to be on the jury.
You are correct that "all" the "evidence" will not be used in court. Unfortunately for H everything important will be: sworn depositions, tape at the crime scene, bullets, casings, slugs, DNA, phone records, evidence from the cars and homes. I'm not a lawyer but I am just getting started. Only a jury member/s determined NOT to convict could possibly find him not guilty. This is such a slam dunk that the odds in Vegas on a not guilty verdict will be close to 100 to 1.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jail Officials Fear for Aaron Hernandez’s Safety, Remains in Medical Wing For Now

Should jail officials be worried about prisoners doing harm to Hernandez or the other way around? Since he has been incarcerated he has been in the medical wing of the jail, where he is only allowed one hour out of his cell a day. According to Pro Football Talk Hernandez has a review hearing today, to see if he can be released to the General Population of the prison. It is a tricky situation, because if something happens to Hernandez before his trial, that would be a bad look for the prison and prosecution. So, I expect him to be watched closely throughout his time there. If he is found guilty, then they won’t care.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/07/jail-officials-fear-for-aaron-hernandezs-safety-remains-in-medical-wing-for-now/
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 23 of 43

Jump to: