Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DEN LB Miller suspended 6 games; Tried to cheat test [pg.31]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: DEN LB Miller suspended 6 games; Tried to cheat test [pg.31] Reply with quote

Quote:
Broncos LB Von Miller is facing 4-game suspension for violating NFL policy, per ESPN sources. Case currently in appeals process.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/359329491958513664

Quote:
Per @VicLombardi it was weed and one other recreational substance...

https://twitter.com/EricGoodman/status/359342477146193920

***Update***
Quote:
According to NFL source, #Broncos LB Von Miller tested positive for amphetamines and marijuana during his rookie season of 2011.

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/359357628763209728

***Update***
Quote:
Anonymous Teammate Says Von Miller Has a Weed Addiction

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/07/anonymous-teammate-says-von-miller-has-a-weed-addiction/

***Update***
Quote:
My sense is the six-game suspension might be a reduction from eight. Possible he was at that step of the program.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/369480025675796481

***Update***
Quote:
Filed to @USATODAYsports: It's official -- Von Miller has been suspended for 6 games.

https://twitter.com/bylindsayhjones/status/369925155331387393

Von Miller statement on six-game suspension:

Quote:
"The Substances of Abuse policy requires everyone to comply with the rules. Although my suspension doesn’t result from a positive test, there is no excuse for my violations of the rules. I made mistakes and my suspension has hurt my team, Broncos fans, and myself. I am especially sorry for the effect of my bad decisions on others. I will not make the same mistakes about adhering to the policy in the future. During my time off the field, I will work tirelessly and focus exclusively on remaining in peak shape. I look forward to contributing immediately upon my return to the field and bringing a championship back to the people of Denver.”

***Update***
Quote:
Reality I've confirmed for #Broncos star Von Miller: He is now in Stage 3 of @nfl's drug policy. Next violation is minimum 1-year suspension

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/370174575482376193

***Update***

***Update***
Broncos' Von Miller has open warrant for arrest in California

Quote:
Denver Broncos star linebacker Von Miller has an open warrant for his arrest in California.

Susan Schroeder, spokeswoman for the Orange County District Attorney's Office confirmed to The Denver Post that Miller has a warrant for failure to appear on a traffic ticket issued last year.

It is unclear what affect this will have if Miller travels to California when the team plays either the Raiders or Chargers, as Schroeder said the ticket is warrant pertains to the entire state.

Calls to the Denver Broncos organization were not immediately returned.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24074341/broncos-von-miller-has-open-warrant-arrest-california

This is after him been cited for speeding and driving without a license.

***Update****
Quote:
BREAKING: Von Miller tried to unsuccessfully corrupt the NFL's drug testing program with the help of a urine collector.

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/381781990770343936

Quote:
Von Miller and tester tried and failed to corrupt collection process:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9707976/von-miller-denver-broncos-urine-collector-tried-cheat-test

Miller, collector tried to cheat test

Quote:
Suspended Denver Broncos Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller unsuccessfully attempted to corrupt the NFL's drug testing program with the help of a urine collector before each was caught in a matter that will affect how the NFL's collection testing procedures are done moving forward, league sources said.

This helps explain why Miller's four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy suddenly and mysteriously was increased to six games and easily could have been up to a year, the sources said.

One source was "reasonably certain" no money changed hands between Miller and the collector, but that there was concern the NFL may have a problem beyond Miller and the collector involved. The NFL and the NFLPA declined comment.

Miller's agent, Joby Branion, declined comment Sunday morning, as did representatives of the testing company, Drug Free Sport.

Another source said after the NFL learned details in the Miller case, it summoned representatives of the testing company, Drug Free Sport, to New York in late August to meet with league officials to review collection procedures that could enhance the process in the NFL/NFLPA joint testing program. Repeated calls to Drug Free Sports this weekend went unanswered.

The collector involved has been dismissed, per a source.

The player shining a spotlight on potential flaws in the program is Miller, whose initial diluted sample counted as a positive test and led to notification of his four-week suspension under the NFL's substance abuse policy. While Miller's reps and the NFLPA were prepared to fight the suspension vigorously in the appeals process, sources said the NFL, NFLPA and Miller's representatives became aware the Broncos linebacker and the collector involved worked together in an attempt to help Miller avoid a failed test.

Sources said the collector worked in Miami, where Miller spends offseason time, and the collector reveled in knowing the Broncos linebacker while being, according to a source, "star struck." It led, sources said, to the collector's willingness to substitute another person's urine specimen for Miller. It might have worked, sources said, had a second collector not discovered that Miller was not in the city where his collection was supposed to have taken place.

"He's fast," one source said of Miller, "but he's not that fast."

During a series of at least four meetings and dialogue between the NFL and NFLPA, the case ceased being a normal appeals process. And while the NFL could have suspended Miller for up to a year for his attempt to influence a collector, it became apparent to both sides that the collector also was involved. Thus, the six-game settlement.

The NFL and NFLPA also conducted a joint investigation to review whether Miller was not attempting to cover-up any PED or steroids policy violation. Therefore, his suspension was determined to be a repeat violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

In the wake of this, sources said, the NFL and NFLPA worked to deal with the bigger picture. There was a meeting between the two sides. And while Miller was taking his six-game suspension, there were discussions on terms of action against the testing company, which the union agreed to drop and allow Goodell and other league officers to clean up.

The NFL met with Drug Free Sport to make sure instances like Miller's could and would be avoided in the future. Drug Free Sport, according to sources, already has identified a new fingerprinting technology to the NFL, similar to the one being used in new IPhones, that would make it impossible for substitute urine specimens to be submitted.

Meanwhile, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith sent out a reminder and warning to players prior to the opening of the regular season to adhere and respect the collection process. The Broncos said they had no knowledge of any of this situation and declined comment, and Miller's suspension, which cannot be increased per the settlement agreement, is set to expire three weeks from Monday.

Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:16 am; edited 19 times in total
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, this could be huge. Guessing adderall or a tainted supplement will be blamed?
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Woah, this could be huge. Guessing adderall or a tainted supplement will be blamed?

Not sure, but they will probably try to spin it the best way they can.
Tom Brady Tribute
Babylon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily they have Dumervil to fall back on until.... oh, right.

Laughing
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

I love hearing players use Adderall as the excuse. We all know that they took a designer steroid of some type when that excuse is used. Yet, they seem to think that we're dumb enough to believe that they're all taking ADHD medication.

I'm interested in finding out which substance he got popped for.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Last edited by plan9misfit on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would hurt the defense but that team is still far ahead of the others in that division.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Local media is thinking it's pot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
It would hurt the defense but that team is still far ahead of the others in that division.

Broncos first four games: Ravens, Giants, Raiders and Eagles. Besides maybe the Raiders (And division games are usually tough), not an easy slate of games...
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

Should have read more carefully. It doesn't mention if it's under the substance abuse policy or performance enhancing drug policy.

Disappointed in Von either way. I like the guy and would hope he's smarter than that...
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:

Broncos first four games: Ravens, Giants, Raiders and Eagles. Besides maybe the Raiders (And division games are usually tough), not an easy slate of games...
Luckily 3 out of 4 of those are at home.

It'll hurt the team but it's not going to kill the team Shaun Phillips will have to pick up the slack in the pass rush department.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Redskins don't play the Broncos until week 8. Sad

This could be huge, though! The Broncos play the Ravens, Giants, Raiders, and Eagles their first 4 games. While (on paper) the opponents get progressively easier (arguably), losing their best player on defense could spell disaster. Just look at the Redskins with and without Brian Orakpo. Yikes.
Duke Ihenacho: IR
Ryan Clark: 40 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 9 catches, 46 yards... and a fumble
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge blow! Especially against the Ravens and Giants. Now JDR has to scheme his a$$ of for the first four games.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
FrostyCow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

Should have read more carefully. It doesn't mention if it's under the substance abuse policy or performance enhancing drug policy.

Disappointed in Von either way. I like the guy and would hope he's smarter than that...

I was under the impression that recreational drugs were a 1-2 game suspension on first offense, and that performance enhancing drugs were 4 games. I know Tamba Hali had a short suspension awhile ago based on what everyone thinks was pot, but it wasn't close to 4 games.
P-52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldon>Von Cool

Jim Harbaugh's reaction to bloody Ahmad Brooks' helmetless sack: “Loved it, loved it. Wish he would have come and wiped some on my cheek.”
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrostyCow wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

I was under the impression that recreational drugs were a 1-2 game suspension on first offense, and that performance enhancing drugs were 4 games. I know Tamba Hali had a short suspension awhile ago based on what everyone thinks was pot, but it wasn't close to 4 games.

I think in Hali's case it was argued as part of his religion or something along those lines. From what I can remember, illegal substances typically start at 4, but via appeals, can be reduced. PEDs typically don't get reduced at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 1 of 34

Jump to: