Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins TE Dustin Keller out for season with a knee injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art_Vandalay wrote:
This sucks. I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, I feel like if you're about to hit a defenseless receiver, you shouldn't go for the knees. I know you get fined if you hit him in the head, but it's not like you can't go for the chest or the waist. This is their livelihood. Dustin Keller is in a contract year. He essentially lost miliions of dollars because of this. I'm not sure if he has a family, but this has a direct impact on the future for him and his family.

On the other hand, the defenders career is at stake too. You worry too much about how to tackle someone and you end missing tackles, you start getting the rep of a poor tackler, and it impacts your future contract. Although going for the knees seems wrong, it is legal and it's an effective method of getting someone to the ground.

Idk. It's just an unfortunate situation.

And when the offensive guy is 50 pounds more than you...?

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
Art_Vandalay wrote:

On one hand, I feel like if you're about to hit a defenseless receiver, you shouldn't go for the knees. I know you get fined if you hit him in the head, but it's not like you can't go for the chest or the waist. This is their livelihood. Dustin Keller is in a contract year. He essentially lost miliions of dollars because of this. I'm not sure if he has a family, but this has a direct impact on the future for him and his family.

On the other hand, the defenders career is at stake too. You worry too much about how to tackle someone and you end missing tackles, you start getting the rep of a poor tackler, and it impacts your future contract. Although going for the knees seems wrong, it is legal and it's an effective method of getting someone to the ground.

Then go in for a proper tackle, wrap up, and if you can't bring him down, believe that your teammates will get there and help you out. Don't try to chop his leg off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
Art_Vandalay wrote:

Then go in for a proper tackle, wrap up, and if you can't bring him down, believe that your teammates will get there and help you out. Don't try to chop his leg off.

Yeah... I'm going for the sure thing and taking out his legs and potentially breaking up the pass. Not praying he doesn't truck me and that I can cling onto his jersey for help.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
JustBlaze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
Art_Vandalay wrote:

Yeah... I'm going for the sure thing and taking out his legs and potentially breaking up the pass. Not praying he doesn't truck me and that I can cling onto his jersey for help.

truck you while he is in the air catching a pass? Didn't realize Keller was a mutant freak of nature.

If defensive players had more discipline to consistently tackle with the right form there would be less injuries to offensive players (both head injuries and leg injuries)
Malik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's football. Injuries happen. Unless you're a QB you are not going to leave the NFL after playing 5+ years in good health.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
It's football. Injuries happen. Unless you're a QB you are not going to leave the NFL after playing 5+ years in good health.

Oh, well in that case, leave the pads at home. You'll be able to run faster.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Malik wrote:

Well I like rugby so no pads or helmets wouldn't bother me. It's a contact sport just like boxing or mma. There will be injuries. The idea that defenders should be allowed to hit offensive players low is ludicrous.
MightyRx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Godddell's NFL!!! Sad

If you asked football players whether they'd prefer being hit in the legs or the head, most would choose being hit in the head.

Getting hit in the legs directly affects their ability to earn a living in the NFL.
"You can't make the club in the tub!"

It's not the smartest thing but I can understand why they'd go that route.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
Malik wrote:

Well I like rugby so no pads or helmets wouldn't bother me. It's a contact sport just like boxing or mma. There will be injuries. The idea that defenders should be allowed to hit offensive players low is ludicrous.

They shouldn't be allowed to hit low, or high. They should tackle properly, as they should have been taught to do since the first time they ever set foot on a football field.

If you execute a good form tackle, shoulder into the midsection, it really doesn't matter a whole lot what the size difference is, you're stopping that guy, at least for long enough for a teammate to help you out. And you're not hurting anyone when you do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Malik wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
Malik wrote:

They shouldn't be allowed to hit low, or high. They should tackle properly, as they should have been taught to do since the first time they ever set foot on a football field.

If you execute a good form tackle, shoulder into the midsection, it really doesn't matter a whole lot what the size difference is, you're stopping that guy, at least for long enough for a teammate to help you out. And you're not hurting anyone when you do it.

The idea that you can't do a proper safe tackle high or low is absurd.
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
They shouldn't be allowed to hit low, or high.

We'd see teams putting up 50 points regularly or 50 flags a game if they ban low hits. Neither make for better football.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -
JustBlaze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
Malik wrote:

Saying the NFL without pads is no big deal is ridiculous. Reminds me of people trying to make the argument after Boldin had his face crushed that players would be safer without helmets under the assumption that defensive players wouldn't be so "reckless" Football was almost banned at the turn of the 20th century due to the amount of deaths that occurred on the field. Rugby doesn't seem like a good example to set..in May a 17 year old girl died from head trauma suffered in a high school rugby match..when is the last time that happened in the NFL or college?

I totally agree that banning hits low is an exaggeration, and more flags thrown every game is the last thing the NFL needs. Even the current policy the NFL holds on hits to the head seems out of hand. But it's hard to argue against the fact that the NFL would be safer if defensive players used correct form when tackling.
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks that Keller's knee got destroyed, but I can't blame Swearinger. The rules are set up for this to happen. Defenders can hardly even aim for the torso anymore because they'll get flagged if a receiver ducks their helmet into the tackle. It's absurd.
Malik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustBlaze wrote:
Malik wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
Malik wrote:

Saying the NFL without pads is no big deal is ridiculous. Reminds me of people trying to make the argument after Boldin had his face crushed that players would be safer without helmets under the assumption that defensive players wouldn't be so "reckless" Football was almost banned at the turn of the 20th century due to the amount of deaths that occurred on the field. Rugby doesn't seem like a good example to set..in May a 17 year old girl died from head trauma suffered in a high school rugby match..when is the last time that happened in the NFL or college?

I totally agree that banning hits low is an exaggeration, and more flags thrown every game is the last thing the NFL needs. Even the current policy the NFL holds on hits to the head seems out of hand. But it's hard to argue against the fact that the NFL would be safer if defensive players used correct form when tackling.

Thing is the correct form of tackling is easy to practice but extremely difficult to execute in real game situations because bodies move at such a fast pace. And unlike practice the offensive player isn't going to LET you tackle him in the perfect way. He's going to try to evade, jump up, or curl down to avoid the hit.
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more i see it the more i think its just unfortunate. Did he intend to go low? Yes. But did he intend to go for the knees? No. If you look at it, Swearinger goes low but Keller is off the ground as Swearinger attempts to make the tackle. As soon as Keller's feet touch the ground he is hit simultaneously.

Its unfortunate, nobody is a fault. But i do think that decision to go low was influenced by the rules.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: