Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans DE Antonio Smith suspended for 3 games [1 reg, 2 pre]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
49ers_52 wrote:
Twizlers wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
Any person defending Smith on this one is not being objective. Incognito's past is a moot point in all of this. Not only that but Incognito's actions were never anything like this. He would hold, clip, spit, maybe even throw a sneak jab at another persons face mask but never has he ever maliciously intended to hurt anyone. That move by Smith was malicious. Suspending him for only the preseason is doing him a favor. Suspend him one regular season game where he feels his paycheck. Incognito would have been within his right to go off on Smith after that stunt he pulled.

Didn't he try and break someone's already injured ankle last year?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wosoGJ5azJo/UFL_DEUoVsI/AAAAAAAAANo/GAHPbucZRL8/s1600/incognito_smith.gif

Yeah, clearly he is trying to hold back Smith from the fumble. Sure Dolphins fans. Now wishing Smith had connected. Incognito deserves it since the NFL won't do anything about him.

I'm sorry, but I can't imagine another human being wishing harm on a football player especially the kind that a helmet on a bare head would cause...No one deserves to have their career ended in that manner.

By the way....the film was reviewed by the NFL which has multiple angles of the play and a much clearer picture then we can find on the interweb and saw no wrong with what Incognito....for a league that fines player for just about anything you would think that they would go after someone who they felt was intentionally trying to hurt another player....

I cant determine from that video Incognito was trying to break his ankle or hold him from the play. Regardless, Incognito was trying to get under Smith's skin. Apparently it worked... Laughing But in seriousness, the two incidents we are referring are not the same. Of course Incognito insights all of this and is far from a saint. He is a dirty player but even he did not deserve to get the receiving end of a helmet connecting with him.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Schefter says Richie Incognito is "far from innocent," but while he commits penalties, nothing he does is outside the realm of the game

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/370151936114176002

Quote:
Richie plays hard and nasty, and you can flag him for penalties, but it's within the limits. Antonio Smith has kicked him and swung a helmet

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/370152305011597312
Tom Brady Tribute
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
49ers_52 wrote:
Twizlers wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
Any person defending Smith on this one is not being objective. Incognito's past is a moot point in all of this. Not only that but Incognito's actions were never anything like this. He would hold, clip, spit, maybe even throw a sneak jab at another persons face mask but never has he ever maliciously intended to hurt anyone. That move by Smith was malicious. Suspending him for only the preseason is doing him a favor. Suspend him one regular season game where he feels his paycheck. Incognito would have been within his right to go off on Smith after that stunt he pulled.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wosoGJ5azJo/UFL_DEUoVsI/AAAAAAAAANo/GAHPbucZRL8/s1600/incognito_smith.gif

Yeah, clearly he is trying to hold back Smith from the fumble. Sure Dolphins fans. Now wishing Smith had connected. Incognito deserves it since the NFL won't do anything about him.

I'm sorry, but I can't imagine another human being wishing harm on a football player especially the kind that a helmet on a bare head would cause...No one deserves to have their career ended in that manner.

By the way....the film was reviewed by the NFL which has multiple angles of the play and a much clearer picture then we can find on the interweb and saw no wrong with what Incognito....for a league that fines player for just about anything you would think that they would go after someone who they felt was intentionally trying to hurt another player....

I cant determine from that video Incognito was trying to break his ankle or hold him from the play. Regardless, Incognito was trying to get under Smith's skin. Apparently it worked... Laughing But in seriousness, the two incidents we are referring are not the same. Of course Incognito insights all of this and is far from a saint. He is a dirty player but even he did not deserve to get the receiving end of a helmet connecting with him.

no one can determine that unless they had it preset he trying to break his ankle. richie doesnt even get off his chest, which you would have to do if you were breaking his ankle.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Schefter says Richie Incognito is "far from innocent," but while he commits penalties, nothing he does is outside the realm of the game

Quote:
Richie plays hard and nasty, and you can flag him for penalties, but it's within the limits. Antonio Smith has kicked him and swung a helmet

Truth.

skywindO2 wrote:
Never spit it out. Always power through it.
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Smith in that he never really intended to hit Incognito with the helmet, it was just a threat.

Incognito will get whats coming to him.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know the "2nd guy always get caught" applies to these types of situations. But Smith crossed the line. I don't care if he "held the helmet into his body" (his own words in a press release), he still swung it at Incognito's unprotected face. That was unacceptable. Personally, I think he should have gotten a harsher suspension.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL has announced Antonio Smith's suspension -- Final two preseason games, regular season opener.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/370229683163369472

Quote:
Someone's gonna have to explain to me how missing two preseason games is a punishment for an established vet with a roster spot locked up.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/370229917473972224

Quote:
Former 49ers S Merton Hanks decided the punishment. Matt Bark or Ted Cottrell would handle any appeal.

https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/370230313618010112
Tom Brady Tribute
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
49ers_52 wrote:
Twizlers wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

I agree that the NFL reviewed it very closely. But they must have felt Incognito was far from blameless, and to some degree initiated the contact. Which would explain Smith's punishment. Certainly in all of this close review, they thought this was all Smith deserved.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgtx wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
49ers_52 wrote:
Twizlers wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

I agree that the NFL reviewed it very closely. But they must have felt Incognito was far from blameless, and to some degree initiated the contact. Which would explain Smith's punishment. Certainly in all of this close review, they thought this was all Smith deserved.

Nah, I think the punishment was accurate. I am not sure if he loses any money for preseason games (outside of his contract) but a weeks pay is suffice enough. Now if they reduce the suspension to just the preseason that would be wrong. He deserves at least one missed game. I do wonder if this incident occured during the regular season would it cost him more than one game
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/370562028391256064
Quote:
After Antonio Smith's helmet-swing suspension, NFL VP of Football Opps Merton Hanks wrote him a letter and noted his 7 violations since 2011

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3LhIAoAoV0#t=47

So it isn't just Incognito he has issues with

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Truth.

Agreed. Neither are innocent, but Smith is the one who went WAY too far.

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Someone's gonna have to explain to me how missing two preseason games is a punishment for an established vet with a roster spot locked up.

I don't get that either. NFL players aren't even paid during the pre-season - their salaries are pro-rated over the weeks of the regular season. So yes, he's losing one game check but the two preseason game suspension is essentially just a vacation that costs him no money.

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - John Wilmot
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Per source, Antonio Smith's appeal was denied today, discipline upheld -- two preseason games, and the opener.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/370942558102245377
Tom Brady Tribute
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith deserves to be suspend at least one more regular season game. He may not have intended to hit him, but he still swung and couldve killed the guy if connected.

HOWEVER, Incognito is a piece of trash. Always has been. Shouldnt even be in the league.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: