Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL fines Bears LB Jon Bostic $21,000 for hit on Chargers WR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should win the appeal. Because this is beyond the point of ridiculous, this is outrageous.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Let's just, for arguments sake, replay the same Bostic situation. How should he have tackled him? Should he have stopped all of his momentum and bear hugged the WR to the ground, thus giving up about 5 or so yards of YAC, or what?

head up. not so the facemask is straight with the side line but just slightly tilted down, but if you saw the hit from the opposite side you can still see the opening of the facemask. head on ball side of the player and hitting where the ball is on the player.

So you want him to do what nobody else in the league has shown they can do for the past 10 years?

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Can someone post a gif of an NFL player making a good form tackle for a big hit? Please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThlyRs2UKGY

Leads with the shoulder. Head is lowered, BUT crown of the helmet does not make contact. You get a nice view starting at 0:14.

his head was still up which allowed him to place it where it need to be to not hit with his crown. which is my whole point. Bostic had his head down. losing sight of the ball carrier.

Browns hit also wasn't a bang-bang play... Almost incomparable.

What? It's almost the exact same situation. Receiver catches (or is catching, in Bush's case) the ball and in that instant is in a vulnerable position against the defender, who has a running start from downfield. Bostic's play was hardly a "bang-bang" sort of incidental hit.

Both Brown and Bush are in the process of taking more than a step before they make contact. In Brown's case I believe it was 3 or 4.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
eagles101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Let's just, for arguments sake, replay the same Bostic situation. How should he have tackled him? Should he have stopped all of his momentum and bear hugged the WR to the ground, thus giving up about 5 or so yards of YAC, or what?

head up. not so the facemask is straight with the side line but just slightly tilted down, but if you saw the hit from the opposite side you can still see the opening of the facemask. head on ball side of the player and hitting where the ball is on the player.

So you want him to do what nobody else in the league has shown they can do for the past 10 years?

what?

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears should pay the fine for him and tell him to keep hitting like that

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

You're jumping to hyperbole. It's been done by plenty of players, most notably the guy who Bostic is replacing (Urlacher). I take it you just ignored the link I posted?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

And the NFL should tell all defensive players that if they keep hitting with the top of their helmet, leading with their helmet into a receiver, they will forfeit their insurance after they retire. If the players don't want to take safety into consideration, why should the NFL? If they want to lead with their helmet and hit players with their helmets instead of their shoulders, they deserve the injuries they get.
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

A head down doesn't make it a penalty. You need head down and strike with the crown, which he didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Great contribution homeboy /sigh /sigh /sigh /sigh /sigh
Looks like I can do it too.
There's no need to get adversarial with him. And while he didn't illustrate it as fully as he could have, I'm fairly certain quite a few people (especially those that frequent the News Forum knew exactly to what he was referring with his brief bit.

Fines are handed out by Appeal and Discipline Office. Roger doesn't sit on that committee. Roger doesn't even appoint people to that committee; previously it had been Art Shell and Ted Cottrell, both in roles that were hired/appointed by the NFL Owners, this past summer Art Shell was replaced by Matt Birk. Roger also doesn't sit on the competition committee - the one that makes up the rules. Nor does he have authority to make appointments to that committee - again... it's the owners. And yet, people wnat to jump to scapegoat Goodell for any little thing they can.

It gets old. Especially when it's not as though these facts haven't been repeated ad nauseum on these forums over and over again and still people persist.
I called him my homeboy...not adversarial at all. It's not like I wished ALS on him or anything.........
Calling him "homeboy" isn't necessarily adversarial, though it's clearly intended to be dismissive in context. "Great point" followed by "homeboy" and "/sigh" multiple times is, and it certainly seems the intent.

If you disagree with a point (or non-point, if you think that's more fitting), then address it. Mockery doesn't end well, particularly in News.

You've had a few posts over the last few pages that were more than a little aggressively, and unnecessarily so. Please tone it down.

Thanks!

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
eagles101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

A head down doesn't make it a penalty. You need head down and strike with the crown, which he didn't.

I wasn't talking about legality but about how it wasnt this perfect form everyone is talking about. Also that I don't care when players get fined when they put themselves in the situation to get fined by going high with there head down.

pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
There's no need to get adversarial with him. And while he didn't illustrate it as fully as he could have, I'm fairly certain quite a few people (especially those that frequent the News Forum knew exactly to what he was referring with his brief bit.

Fines are handed out by Appeal and Discipline Office. Roger doesn't sit on that committee. Roger doesn't even appoint people to that committee; previously it had been Art Shell and Ted Cottrell, both in roles that were hired/appointed by the NFL Owners, this past summer Art Shell was replaced by Matt Birk. Roger also doesn't sit on the competition committee - the one that makes up the rules. Nor does he have authority to make appointments to that committee - again... it's the owners. And yet, people wnat to jump to scapegoat Goodell for any little thing they can.

It gets old. Especially when it's not as though these facts haven't been repeated ad nauseum on these forums over and over again and still people persist.
I called him my homeboy...not adversarial at all. It's not like I wished ALS on him or anything.........
Calling him "homeboy" isn't necessarily adversarial, though it's clearly intended to be dismissive in context. "Great point" followed by "homeboy" and "/sigh" multiple times is, and it certainly seems the intent.

If you disagree with a point (or non-point, if you think that's more fitting), then address it. Mockery doesn't end well, particularly in News.

You've had a few posts over the last few pages that were more than a little aggressively, and unnecessarily so. Please tone it down.

Thanks!

What are we 12? Calling someone homeboy is aggressive? Next time I'll use Bud, or pal, that better?

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Keleth wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Dear NFL,

Big hits don't mean they're dirty hits.

- the fans

Dear Fans,

You're going to keep watching no matter what we do, anyway.

- the NFL

Somebody should stand up for the NFL as a whole. Makes an even more brutal hit, get fined, pull a Mark Cuban and pay double. Saying FU Goodell. I swear thats what I'd do.

The worst part about this for me, Is does it make Bostic alter the way he plays his game? Because Goodell likes flexing his muscles? Absolute JOKE.

/sigh

Too far. Too far.

Just the truth man.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
He doesn't lower his head, he puts his helmet on the football, which is exactly what you are supposed to do. Again, I question your football knowledge if you think there was anything wrong w/ that hit. This is 100% about the perception that it was a big hit, and the NFL owners don't want big hits anywhere near the upper body b/c they are worried about the concussion lawsuits.

Please link us one reputable source that indicates a player's facemask should be parallel with the ground while tackling.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

And the NFL should tell all defensive players that if they keep hitting with the top of their helmet, leading with their helmet into a receiver, they will forfeit their insurance after they retire. If the players don't want to take safety into consideration, why should the NFL? If they want to lead with their helmet and hit players with their helmets instead of their shoulders, they deserve the injuries they get.
Except Bostic, you know, did neither of those things. He put his helmet on the football, and lead with his shoulder.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
thestonedkoala wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Except Bostic, you know, did neither of those things. He put his helmet on the football, and lead with his shoulder.

i want everyone to know THIS is what im talking about. he obviously doesnt put his head on the ball but since it justifies the hit people pretended it does so that we can go "OMG WHATS THE FINE FOR PERFECT FORM."

same with people saying his head wasnt done when it obviously was parallel with the ground.

if this play wasnt fined and we discussed it there would be 100% agreement that his helmet was down, it hit high on the shoulder pads (if not clipped his helmet, and that it wasn't perfect form. but since its a fine we have to go into the most dramatic crys for injustice. its like someone gettiing a speeding ticket when there going 3 mph over the speed limit and saying "I WASNT EVEN MOVING, I HAD IT IN PARK WHEN HE PULLED ME OVER."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: