Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Clay Matthews has a broken thumb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
From what I'm gathering, it appears he needs to have it surgically repaired and recovery will take 4 weeks. I'm not sure exactly why it couldn't be put in a club and he would play through it, maybe that will be the case after the 4 weeks.

Most likely had to fuse the bone back together, or even worse put a small rod there to support it while his body naturally heals it. Nerve damage is obviously worse case scenario, but when your hand fighting with 300 lb men as often as he is it's a real concern, even with a cast. Better for this to be a problem now then late in the year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
From what I'm gathering, it appears he needs to have it surgically repaired and recovery will take 4 weeks. I'm not sure exactly why it couldn't be put in a club and he would play through it, maybe that will be the case after the 4 weeks.

Most likely had to fuse the bone back together, or even worse put a small rod there to support it while his body naturally heals it. Nerve damage is obviously worse case scenario, but when your hand fighting with 300 lb men as often as he is it's a real concern, even with a cast. Better for this to be a problem now then late in the year.

I agree about the timing being better than later in the season. But I'm confused as to why his takes him out for a month vs Nick Barnett playing with a club a few years back. I suppose this could be worse, but "broken thumb" seems like something he could be playing through.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess would be that the risk for reinjury or further damage must be great in this circumstance. Dealing with alot of little, more fragile bones in the hands. To me, it's hardly even worth playing him like this though. He's going to have a very difficult time shedding blocks with one hand (plus his hammy is still a question) and turning this into a bigger issue then it is now would be a real shame. Risk far outweighs the reward. Just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought a player at his position would be able to play with a broken thumb? I've seen players in the past suit up with almost looking like a club on their hands. I remember Patrick Willis at Ole Miss with both hands clubbed up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Ravens fans, do you per chance like whiskey?

We're O's fans. Whiskey has grabbed our attention in recent years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Laughing That dude ain't gonna sit out a game against the World Champs because of a thumb injury.

Agreed. Guna be a good one Very Happy.

Our fanbases haven't had a real clash since we whooped you on MNF 2010.

In fact, I'd say we're on good terms based on the teams we beat in our Super Bowls Wink

I endorse this statement.

YAY FRIENDSHIP

The best ship.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:
Does anyone in this thread have any medical knowledge like at all? A thumb isn't as important as a leg but it's also very easy to re injure or do further damage too. Many nerves are located in the area that connects your thumb to your wrist that control how your hand works. If he damages those nerves, his hand is screwed for life. All this wussy stuff just sounds incredibly ignorant. I'd rather him sit out and play with two hands when he can then be 45% in a cast for maybe the entire season or worse, he hurts it worse again and isn't around for the playoffs. The more you know...

I've broken every fineger on my hands basically, some more than once. I've torn ligaments in my thumb that still make it act funny 10 years later almost. I realize I'm not a nfl lber but I know what it feels like and I know the treat meant for it.

Very rarely does the line of thinking go from "well, he's got a broken thumb, better sit him out in case he gets nerve damage". You're probably more likely to tear up your knee than doing that.

Thanks Dr. GSU.

If he's sitting, it's for a reason.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
I would have thought a player at his position would be able to play with a broken thumb? I've seen players in the past suit up with almost looking like a club on their hands. I remember Patrick Willis at Ole Miss with both hands clubbed up.

Patrick Willis probably didn't have surgery to repair the break. Clubs only come into play when the break is clean enough that a doc can set it back into place and cast it up. When you need pins to hold the bone in place, you can risk putting the club on and damaging the pins.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma for the late hit? Shocked
Frank-O

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vindicatedxx wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Don't make me bring up Michael Vick and the Eagle's karma...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:

If it's not a severe fracture then yes, but this one is severe. This is one that requires pins. If one of these pins gets dislodged while playing he could be out for much longer than a month. It's also possible he then wouldn't be able to get full functionality back in that thumb at all.

Defenders often need their thumbs for tackling; Green Bay is making the correct decision here by making sure Matthews continues to have functionality in both of them.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never go against what the doctors say, except for Nick Collins I still hold the believe that he could play today.
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article about this at the Green Bay Press Gazette and evidently the pins will be protruding outside his hand so this is probably why they won't just put a club on it and let him play.

www.packersnews.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vindicatedxx wrote:

I think so.

Anyways, the Packers won't miss him in the line up. He's a one trick pony who heavily favors from one on one matchups. I'm sure Nick Perry can fill that role.

and besides, no matter how bad that defense sucks, Rodgers always manages to keep Green Bay atleast in the game.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:

I think so.

Anyways, the Packers won't miss him in the line up. He's a one trick pony who heavily favors from one on one matchups. I'm sure Nick Perry can fill that role.

and besides, no matter how bad that defense sucks, Rodgers always manages to keep Green Bay atleast in the game.

seriously dude, shut up

we get it, you don't like the packers

gets a little old seeing you constantly rip on our players in every thread that mentions them

cracks me up that people on this site are always blaming each other for trolling, but when there's an obvious one running all over the place, no one does anything

El Ramster on the amazing work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: