Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings to start Josh Freeman vs. the Giants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be a little rough given the limited time w/ the team. But he's got AP to lean on and some decent receiving options.

Heck, he can throw w/ his opposite hand and has a better arm than Ponder.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna be worse than joe webb...
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts?

The Giants should probably write a thank-you letter to the Vikings for giving them their first win. Freeman sucks and his confidence is shot, and hasn't had nearly enough time to learn the playbook.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Packerfaninmn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Frazier is trying to get fired at this point. What a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up QBs usually play excellent against us. Nobody gives opposing QBs confidence like Perry Fewell

^Joe_is_the_best
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:
This is gonna be worse than joe webb...

That can't be possible.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, what do the Vikes have to lose. Id like to see Freeman start over Ponder/Cassel considering those two have shown time and time again that they arent adequate starting QBs. May as well see if Freeman can turn his career around. The 0-6 Giants arent a terrible game to have to make a debut, could be worse. The thinking is they probably want to get him some game reps prior to the Packers game the following week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much expected, but I can't believe they're tossing Cassel aside already. He played so well a couple weeks ago, I'm still trying to figure out why they even signed Freeman... So when Freeman comes in and inevitably stinks it up, who do they turn to then?; Ponder's time is done in Minnesota, and if I'm Matt Cassel, I want out too...
joru1000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's going to disappoint a lot of my fellow Vikings fans.

We'll be drafting a quarterback in the first round next year. Luckily it looks to be a good QB class.

Last edited by joru1000 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
At this point, what do the Vikes have to lose. Id like to see Freeman start over Ponder/Cassel considering those two have shown time and time again that they arent adequate starting QBs. May as well see if Freeman can turn his career around. The 0-6 Giants arent a terrible game to have to make a debut, could be worse. The thinking is they probably want to get him some game reps prior to the Packers game the following week.

I respect that but... shouldn't the Vikings give him adequete time to get acquainted with the playbook, coaches, and personnel before throwing him in as the starter? After all, assuming he plays horribly this Sunday, it's not really a fair evaluation of Josh, is it, under the circumstances?

Nacho Simulation Football League
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteyPercyPonde wrote:
Too early for him to start. There's no way he knows that much of the playbook. If he has a bad start the casual fans will start calling for his head right off the bat. Not the best way to build confidence in a QB who was out right released just 2 weeks ago.

The upside is outside of starting against his own defense, Giants are probably best case scenario.

Yeah, I was thinking this was a rather quick turnaround.

I suppose they will have a significantly simplified playbook, and simply see if he can't throw simple passes for simple routes and get into a groove with the receivers.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenchie wrote:
pretty much expected, but I can't believe they're tossing Cassel aside already. He played so well a couple weeks ago, I'm still trying to figure out why they even signed Freeman... So when Freeman comes in and inevitably stinks it up, who do they turn to then?; Ponder's time is done in Minnesota, and if I'm Matt Cassel, I want out too...

Cassel had a nice stat line against the Steelers, but that isnt saying much considering how the Steelers defense has been poor at forcing turnovers this year.

Cassel against Carolina is the true Cassel, and that is why he shouldnt see the field over Freeman or Ponder. I assume that Ponder wasnt healthy enough to start last week, so Cassel got the nod with Ponder healthy enough to be a backup. Which is why Freeman is 1 and Ponder is 2 on the depth chart.

What do the Vikes gain by sticking with Cassel? He is clearly an awful QB and on the wrong side of 30, unlike Freeman/Ponder who have youth on its side. At least with Freeman, he has had a couple seasons of above average QB play.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason the Vikings brought Freeman in was because they could do so at a very low cost: no draft picks given up, and only $2,000,001 in salary for this year. There is no doubt that signing him now will really things up with Ponder and Cassel, but they haven't done anything anyway, so what is there to lose?

At this point, it makes sense to give a Freeman a tryout because he has a higher upside than either of the other two. Maybe he will respond to the change of scenery and work hard to resurrect his career. Who knows, maybe he will be the next Cris Carter - another player the Vikings picked up on waivers for only $100.

As far as starting him now is concerned, there are advantages and disadvantages to going for it now, and also for waiting until he learns the playbook better.

My guess is that the Vikings coaching staff have assured him that he doesn't have to light the world on fire in his first action after only two weeks with the team. It's just experience for him. It helps him get in the groove with his new team, and it gives the team more opportunity to analyze what he can do.

It's possible that I'm just drinking a little too much purple Kool Aid, but I have a good feeling about Freeman. I'm really hoping that he can be the answer for us.

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
epicMustache

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he does well, because he's still one of my favorite players in the league (even though I wanted him off our team,) but I can't help laugh at the posters that were condemning him as one of the worst starting QBs in the league, now predicting that he'll come in and do well.

THE PACK MAN wrote:
... but the Packers wouldnt be as good if they had the 49ers defense.

- Adopt a Buc -
Dekoda Watson: 14 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 interception
coors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected. If he can push the ball down the field to Jennings and Simpson & crew, and get that box opened up a little bit more for 28, that offense is immediately in better shape. Let's just see if Freeman can get the ball down there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: