Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ndaumkong Suh fined for hit on Brandon Weeden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
d_stanton2lions


Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Posts: 2889
Location: Boulder, Colorado
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why aren't blind-side QB sacks/hits illegal? Those are hits against an unsuspecting/defenseless player, regardless of if it's a sack.
_________________
“Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”
~ HDThoreau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 12572
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d_stanton2lions wrote:
Why aren't blind-side QB sacks/hits illegal? Those are hits against an unsuspecting/defenseless player, regardless of if it's a sack.


Suh used his helmet to contact the body and Weeden was defenseless. The rule correctly applied but having said that its a horrific rule and getting fined for it is just a disgrace. The NFL is overreacting yet again.
_________________


"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9106
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snkhd09 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
snkhd09 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
snkhd09 wrote:

It was a ridiculous analogy, where he used the most absurd, extreme and unrealistic scenario to make his position in this argument look a lot better.

43mafia analogy is more apt if you want me to break it down.

Guy with history of speeding go 2 mph over speed limit and receive ticket by a cop. 43mafia does not agree that going 2mp over the speed limit deserve a ticket, but he doesn't feel bad due to the guy's history.

Suh, who has a history, hit weeden chest by leading with the crown of his helmet and is fine by the NFL. 43mafia does not think this action deserve a fine, but he doesn't feel bad due to Suh's history.

In both situation, the authoritative figure (cop & NFL) interprets that a law/rule was broken, however ticky tack it is. Your hang up is that 37>35 and is a definitive fact that a law was broken, while NFL rule is not as quantitative and up to interpretation of refs/whoever decide fines. You are injecting ur interpretation of the law (speeding is breaking law, suh's tackle isn't) into the analogy and makes it nonsensical in your perspective. but the interpretation of the law is not up to you, me or 43mafia, but according to the authoritative figure.

can't believe i typed all this out.

reserve the speeding tickets for walking to the store analogy when a defensive player is fined for touching someone down by gently placing his hand on him.


...

the analogy started by if mafia was the authority figure. then going on if he was the authority figure it would be how he looked at it. even though he doesnt think the person broke a law, in the analogy speeding, the guy still reaped what he sowed for speeding previously. it doesnt fit perfectly, as no analogy does, but it does fit what hes saying, as even though you dont break a rule, you reap what you sow. simplest way, even without breaking a law you can get punished and you deserve it.

the other analogy doesnt work since the driver is speeding. he is breaking a law that suh didnt. even if the nfl thought he did or not, since in the analogy its a world where mafia made the rules, in this case more so enforced. a closer analogy might be a person going the speed limit. then getting the ticket and saying thats what you get for speeding before. but of course that has less of a humor factor the poster was going for.

Well, if 43mafia was the authority figure in the original analogy, he would not be giving out a ticket as he has already stated he doesn't agree with the fine. Making everything after that null and void.


authority figure, as in the one who makes the rules. not the one who directly gives the ticket but the one who would allow the ticket to be given.


FourThreeMafia wrote:
NO...I...ME...FOURTHREEMAFIA...DOES NOT THINK HE BROKE A RULE.


Now if your rebuttal is that a rule wasn't broken but 43mafia allows the ticket to be given anyway, then the analogy basically twisted his word as 43mafia's original post was from a viewpoint of someone who had no control over whether the fine was given or not. To assume that if he had the authority, he would allow the fine to be handed to Suh, even if he did not agree with it, is baseless.

Not feeling bad for Suh/reap what you sow sentiment does not equal an agreement with the NFL or an indication he would not rescind the fine if he had the power. They were merely a third party opinion. But like I said, why let that get in the way of him trying to make a point.


its nto twisting his words.

he said that he doesnt feel bad for suh since he reaps what he sows, even if he doesnt feel it was a broken rule.

the Nnivolcm made an IMAGINARY world where mafia makes the rules. he is kind of the universe.

then applying what he said to how rules would then be carried out, in that if you ever broke a law its your fault if you get another ticker even if you didnt break a law.

i dont get why you quoted him saying he didnt think he broke a rule...since thats the whole point, he thinks he deserves the fine even though mafia doesnt think he broke a rule.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snkhd09


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 779
Location: Tampa Bay
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol we're just going in circle now. Agree to disagree.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fortdetroit


Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Posts: 1695
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the guy calling the shots on the fines. makes sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ6mqJDMlI4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DLF54927


Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 942
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Slightly lowered the head? Check.

Contact to the body with forehead/hairline? Check.

Fined? Uncheck.

The only difference is Groves wrapped up, followed through and took Stafford to the ground.

Where art thou, consistency?

BTW, I thought the flag on Groves was bunk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 21007
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLF54927 wrote:


Slightly lowered the head? Check.

Contact to the body with forehead/hairline? Check.

Fined? Uncheck.

The only difference is Groves wrapped up, followed through and took Stafford to the ground.

Where art thou, consistency?

BTW, I thought the flag on Groves was bunk.



While I do agree the fine on Suh is crazy, Suh's history of fines and penalties is the main reason for it.
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DLF54927


Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 942
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
DLF54927 wrote:


Slightly lowered the head? Check.

Contact to the body with forehead/hairline? Check.

Fined? Uncheck.

The only difference is Groves wrapped up, followed through and took Stafford to the ground.

Where art thou, consistency?

BTW, I thought the flag on Groves was bunk.



While I do agree the fine on Suh is crazy, Suh's history of fines and penalties is the main reason for it.


So, he should win his appeal quite easily, right?

What do you think his chances of winning his appeal stand? Less than 0%?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimeForChange


Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 1988
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suh is being targeted because of his past. He has shown some dirty plays and questionable actions in his past so it is no surprise he is under a microscope.

I do not agree with this fine. However, I do think he should be closely monitored and its too bad if it affects his play. He needs to learn how to play within the rules (whether you agree with them or not) and sadly questionable calls will not go his way.

I am a huge fan of his talent and what he brings to the team however I am not too sure that he is a ethical player. I am concerned about how his play will affect him in the future (suspensions, fines, etc).

EDIT: I am a Lions fan. I'm not sure if that matters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jakuvious


Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 9539
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a brief comment on something I've seen a few times. This whole, "he needs to be taught a lesson" concept in this particular instance, is just way off. If you know just about anything about educational or behavioral psychology, you know that that doesn't work for anyone anywhere ever. The message it sends (and I'm sure Suh has long reached this point) is that it doesn't really matter whether he plays dirty or not, he's going to get fined either way.

It's like if on Monday, your parents get home, and yell at you for not doing your homework. So on Tuesday, you do it all right away. But still, when your parents get home, and you tell them you did your homework, they don't believe you, so they yell at you anyway. Getting yelled at the second time does not further teach you the importance of doing your homework. It teaches you that in the end, it didn't make any difference at all whether you did your homework or not.

You can characterize this as teaching him a lesson if you want. But it is not teaching him a lesson in the sense of trying to change his behavior. Justifying it that way is really just on the basis of punishing him, not altering his behavior. When you say we're teaching him a lesson, you're really saying screw him, he deserves it.
_________________

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
28 catches, 352 yards, 3 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fortdetroit


Joined: 27 Dec 2011
Posts: 1695
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merton Hanks: I fined Ndamukong Suh to get his attention

Quote:
NFL Vice President of Operations Merton Hanks, the man who fines players for on-field misconduct, says he wanted to do something this week to make Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh take notice.

Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,” but Hanks fined Suh $31,500 because he thinks it’s time that Suh pays attention to the league’s efforts to make the game safer.

“The fine is more than the minimum because he is a repeat offender and I wanted to get Ndamukong Suh’s attention in this regard. I’ve got to help him course correct,” Hanks told Andrea Kremer of NFL Network.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/19/merton-hanks-i-fined-ndamukong-suh-to-get-his-attention/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 12572
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
Merton Hanks: I fined Ndamukong Suh to get his attention

Quote:
NFL Vice President of Operations Merton Hanks, the man who fines players for on-field misconduct, says he wanted to do something this week to make Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh take notice.

Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,” but Hanks fined Suh $31,500 because he thinks it’s time that Suh pays attention to the league’s efforts to make the game safer.

“The fine is more than the minimum because he is a repeat offender and I wanted to get Ndamukong Suh’s attention in this regard. I’ve got to help him course correct,” Hanks told Andrea Kremer of NFL Network.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/19/merton-hanks-i-fined-ndamukong-suh-to-get-his-attention/


I can't believe he just said that.
_________________


"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9106
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
Merton Hanks: I fined Ndamukong Suh to get his attention

Quote:
NFL Vice President of Operations Merton Hanks, the man who fines players for on-field misconduct, says he wanted to do something this week to make Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh take notice.

Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,” but Hanks fined Suh $31,500 because he thinks it’s time that Suh pays attention to the league’s efforts to make the game safer.

“The fine is more than the minimum because he is a repeat offender and I wanted to get Ndamukong Suh’s attention in this regard. I’ve got to help him course correct,” Hanks told Andrea Kremer of NFL Network.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/19/merton-hanks-i-fined-ndamukong-suh-to-get-his-attention/


"hello im merton hanks and i say stupid things and make bad decisions"
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 26070
Location: #JDI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
Merton Hanks: I fined Ndamukong Suh to get his attention

Quote:
NFL Vice President of Operations Merton Hanks, the man who fines players for on-field misconduct, says he wanted to do something this week to make Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh take notice.

Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,” but Hanks fined Suh $31,500 because he thinks it’s time that Suh pays attention to the league’s efforts to make the game safer.

“The fine is more than the minimum because he is a repeat offender and I wanted to get Ndamukong Suh’s attention in this regard. I’ve got to help him course correct,” Hanks told Andrea Kremer of NFL Network.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/19/merton-hanks-i-fined-ndamukong-suh-to-get-his-attention/
.....
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimeForChange


Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 1988
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
fortdetroit wrote:
Merton Hanks: I fined Ndamukong Suh to get his attention

Quote:
NFL Vice President of Operations Merton Hanks, the man who fines players for on-field misconduct, says he wanted to do something this week to make Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh take notice.

Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,” but Hanks fined Suh $31,500 because he thinks it’s time that Suh pays attention to the league’s efforts to make the game safer.

“The fine is more than the minimum because he is a repeat offender and I wanted to get Ndamukong Suh’s attention in this regard. I’ve got to help him course correct,” Hanks told Andrea Kremer of NFL Network.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/19/merton-hanks-i-fined-ndamukong-suh-to-get-his-attention/


I can't believe he just said that.


So you fine someone for a legal play? How is that making the game safer?

Next time he makes an illegal or dirty play suspend him for 4 games or the rest of the season.

That would help him (maybe). How does fining someone who could be trying to play safe teach him anything? The only thing it is teaching him is that even if you play clean your past will always be what we base you on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group