Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears, Cutler, Agree to 7 Year Deal [$50m Guaranteed]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
be WARE94

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:
Cutler has looked really good in that Trestman offense. I like the signing. You have to pay the man.

Laughing at people saying he's an average QB.

He IS an average QB... In what category do you feel he is better than average? In arm strength? Guess what, you could say that about Jeff George. Facts are facts. Jay Cutler is an average QB. He hasn't even thrown for 20+ TD's since 2010! So please give me a break about you laughing at people who KNOW he is average. Please prove me wrong. I've been watching Jay since he came into the league in 2006. The ONLY season he was above average was in 2008. Which was obviously a long, long time ago.

So again what makes you think he is better than average? Outside of his laser rocket arm?

Depends how you classify "average".

QB's who are clearly better:
A. Rodgers
T. Brady
P. Manning
D. Brees
P. Rivers
B. Roesthisberger
C. Newton
A. Luck

Other than these guys, no QB is "clearly" better than Cutler. He's muddled in with the Stafford's and Romo's of the league. Guy's who can win you games. And unfortunately, guy's who can lose you games too. Its just how QB's work in the NFL. You have to pay them ridiculous sums to keep them. I'm not going to sit around and rip on Baltimore for giving Flacco that contract, because thats what it takes to keep your QB's.
How are Cam and Luck "clearly" better than Cutler?

Similar stats, much younger, also threats on the ground.

The bit that got me was "muddled with Romo and Stafford"...Romo is twice the QB Cutler has ever been.

Lol this. But I don't think this deal is THAT bad especially if the bears can hit in the draft defensively........that bears offense has potential to be NASTY and Marshall/forte aren't getting any younger either

[quote="Tzimisce"]Was Romo playing sarcastaball?
Plat wrote:
"]i swear this guy be trolling
chiefs82

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@RapSheet: #Bears QB Jay Cutler’s contract: 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Bears value Cutler at... well... Aaron Rodgers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@RapSheet: Jay Cutler: “Whether it’s $15M or it’s $22M, it’s hard to spend all that in your lifetime. @KristinCav said she’ll help.” Classic.
Laughing Laughing

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it could have been worse. They could have paid 20 mil per year to a guy who went out and had a 19:22 TD: INT ratio Laughing

Props to JMG on the sig
tom cody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn't see this coming at all. Figured he'd be playing elsewhere in 2014. Cutler's a good QB but paying him this kind of money is a bit ridiculous.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
Cutler has looked really good in that Trestman offense. I like the signing. You have to pay the man.

Laughing at people saying he's an average QB.

If you think he is better than average, so be it, but laughing at people who feel he is is just stupid, since you havent even begun to prove that notion wrong. We could just as easily laugh at you for thinking he isnt average.

You said Cutler looked really good in Trestman's offense.

Okay.

So did McCown. In fact, he looked better.

That doesnt mean that McCown is a better player, but it does mean that they didnt really need to laughably overpay a QB who is far from irreplaceable. They couldve paid McCown a MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller deal for 2-3 years and kept looking for a long term QB, instead of panicking and handing a blank check to such an underwhelming player.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no defending this contract on any level. Cutler is 30 years old; I'm pretty sure he's peaked. Here's what we know about him:
1. Never posted a rating above 90 over a season.
2. He's never had even a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. It's usually closer to 1.5:1. Definition of mediocre.
3. He's only cracked 4k yards once in his career, way back with Denver.
4. He hasn't played a full season in 4 years, and he's missed key games throughout that stretch. You can't count on him to be on the field.

Quote:
QB's who are clearly better:
A. Rodgers
T. Brady
P. Manning
D. Brees
P. Rivers
B. Roesthisberger
C. Newton
A. Luck

I could add 5 more names to this list easy. Stafford and Romo have had the same level of team success (or lack of it) while also posting much better stats. And it isn't as if Cutler has played with chop liver throughout his career in terms of weapons.

Russel Wilson, Matt Ryan, Romo, Stafford...

It's already been established that statistically he's offered little more than a guy like Bradford. What's clear here is that Cutler has established himself as a marginal starter at best. He gets your team to .500 or so, maybe a game or two better at his best. There's little hope he's suddenly going to transform.

Flacco got overpayed because he won a Super Bowl, and had an incredible playoff stretch. The Ravens were in a rock and hard place because some team would have paid that.

I don't believe anyone would have paid this sort of money for Cutler on the open market, but even if they did, so long would have been better. Cutler isn't winning a ring without a perfect storm of events (read - incredible defense), so what are you holding on to? The chance to be a marginal playoff team AT BEST?

His production could be replaced easily enough. The Bears are a team that needs to take a step back to take two forward down the road.

This? I think it just guaranteed the new regime is canned in two years.

And the Bears fans defending this? Most would have been happier to see them go. A good number wanted McCown over him at the end of the season. That says it all. This isn't a guy they couldn't let walk without a mutiny. Poor, shortsighted decision.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
More details on the deal, and it's brilliant

The deal includes no signing bonus, the first 3 years are fully guaranteed at $54M (avg $18M per year in base salary). The last 4 years are paid out at $150K per game he is on the active roster. The deal is structured in such a way that the Bears could move on at anytime and there is literally no adverse cap consequences.

You mean...any time after the first 3 years? Wink
No anytime really. The next years salary isn't guaranteed until Mar 1 each year. So he makes $22.5 this year. The Bears could then cut him anytime before Mar 1 if they so chose, and there would be no cap consequence. Same thing in 2016 w/ year 3.

If next year's salary isn't guaranteed until Mar 1 of each year, then the deal is only 22.5M guaranteed.....not the $50M figure being thrown around.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a Raider fan, we have a ton of cap space and a huge need at QB. Pretty sure I wouldnt feel too good about giving this contract to Cutler.

With that said, if Chicago can add a few pieces to that defense, that team can be dangerous.
CornOnDaCobb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:
Title of thread should be changed to: Packers secure next 7 NFC North titles.

You have quickly established yourself as one of the biggest homers on this site.

Lol how so? Jay Cutler is a career 1-9 against the Packers, I think the Bears made a huge mistake resigning the guy.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CornOnDaCobb wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:

You have quickly established yourself as one of the biggest homers on this site.

Lol how so? Jay Cutler is a career 1-9 against the Packers, I think the Bears made a huge mistake resigning the guy.
You know we don't have to beat you to win the division right?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:

Damn difficult to do
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 32 starting QBs in the league. Cutler is closer to the 15 range than he is to the top 5. He's an average QB, the Bears will be a mediocre team with him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
CornOnDaCobb wrote:

Damn difficult to do

Very difficult to do, you have to consider that your 2.5 (because of the tiebreaker) games back every year if you get swept by GB and your contending with them for the division title. I don't like this deal at all for CHI, they have a great nucleus on offense they really needed to find a upper echelon qb and they could have a great offense for years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: