Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears, Cutler, Agree to 7 Year Deal [$50m Guaranteed]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vikingshomer


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2232
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler, like Romo, are prime examples of boom or bust QBs. At times they will look like the best QB in the league only the week after look horrible. He isn't very consistent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ring Worm Sherm


Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Posts: 970
Location: PNW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. Sorry bears fans. No clue what this guy has done to deserve this
_________________


“Its pay back, Russell Wilson"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FirstDownFaulk


Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 5073
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jay Cutler illusion continues......

hahaha
_________________
jrry32 wrote:
Tom Brady hasn't left NE and proven himself not to be a system QB...so he is one.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Malik


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 4342
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
There are 32 starting QBs in the league. Cutler is closer to the 15 range than he is to the top 5. He's an average QB, the Bears will be a mediocre team with him.


It's not even that he's average. But he's the destructive type of average that constantly makes bad throws and turns over the ball. He can't play within himself. At least with another average QB like Alex Smith he can keep you in a game and not mess it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
There are 32 starting QBs in the league. Cutler is closer to the 15 range than he is to the top 5. He's an average QB, the Bears will be a mediocre team with him.


It's not even that he's average. But he's the destructive type of average that constantly makes bad throws and turns over the ball. He can't play within himself. At least with another average QB like Alex Smith he can keep you in a game and not mess it up.


Good assessment.

I agree.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeezla


Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 8973
Location: 805 Cali
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's like Carson Palmer with a little more speed. Opposing teams probably look forward to playing against Cutler, but don't like playing against his wr's.
_________________

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: L Collins, D Perryman, S Calhoun, D Greenberry, C Davis, R Mueller, E McCarthy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
da_bears6


Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 69
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone laughed at the Ryan contract, everyone laughed at the Flacco contract, everyone laughed at the Romo contract, everyone laughed at the Stafford extension, everyone laughed at the Cutler contract.

How long until people realize this is the reality of the NFL right now. Mid-tier QBs will continue to make 16-18mil a year(or 21 if you're Matt Ryan). People can say it's Rodgers money but it's not. This is a 3year/54mil contract with the ability to keep him after year 3 or let him go with no cap penalty. Had to pay a little more because it is only 3 years long.

Basically franchised him for 3 years without the penalty for franchising a player in consecutive years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joyride15


Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 718
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

da_bears6 wrote:
Everyone laughed at the Ryan contract, everyone laughed at the Flacco contract, everyone laughed at the Romo contract, everyone laughed at the Stafford extension, everyone laughed at the Cutler contract.

How long until people realize this is the reality of the NFL right now. Mid-tier QBs will continue to make 16-18mil a year(or 21 if you're Matt Ryan). People can say it's Rodgers money but it's not. This is a 3year/54mil contract with the ability to keep him after year 3 or let him go with no cap penalty. Had to pay a little more because it is only 3 years long.

Basically franchised him for 3 years without the penalty for franchising a player in consecutive years.


... and not one of those teams made the playoffs this year. Hard to allocate that much of your team's cap to one player unless they are ELITE.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
da_bears6


Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 69
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyride15 wrote:
da_bears6 wrote:
Everyone laughed at the Ryan contract, everyone laughed at the Flacco contract, everyone laughed at the Romo contract, everyone laughed at the Stafford extension, everyone laughed at the Cutler contract.

How long until people realize this is the reality of the NFL right now. Mid-tier QBs will continue to make 16-18mil a year(or 21 if you're Matt Ryan). People can say it's Rodgers money but it's not. This is a 3year/54mil contract with the ability to keep him after year 3 or let him go with no cap penalty. Had to pay a little more because it is only 3 years long.

Basically franchised him for 3 years without the penalty for franchising a player in consecutive years.


... and not one of those teams made the playoffs this year. Hard to allocate that much of your team's cap to one player unless they are ELITE.


Agreed, but that's the nature of the beast right now. Teams would rather over pay 2-3mil a year for a QB they can possibly win with rather then start over with a rookie and roll the dice. I said this before at least they know what Cutler is at his worst with a draft pick they have no idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 22524
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyride15 wrote:
da_bears6 wrote:
Everyone laughed at the Ryan contract, everyone laughed at the Flacco contract, everyone laughed at the Romo contract, everyone laughed at the Stafford extension, everyone laughed at the Cutler contract.

How long until people realize this is the reality of the NFL right now. Mid-tier QBs will continue to make 16-18mil a year(or 21 if you're Matt Ryan). People can say it's Rodgers money but it's not. This is a 3year/54mil contract with the ability to keep him after year 3 or let him go with no cap penalty. Had to pay a little more because it is only 3 years long.

Basically franchised him for 3 years without the penalty for franchising a player in consecutive years.


... and not one of those teams made the playoffs this year. Hard to allocate that much of your team's cap to one player unless they are ELITE.


At least in terms of Flacco, his contract had 0 impact on this season seeing as his cap hit was actually lower than it was in their SB winning season.

Not to mention, where we lost the most players was on defense and that unit actually improved. Our offense was anemic and the only guy we lost to FA was Boldin which had some impact, yes, but moreso to do with the fact that the guy in line to replicate his production, Pitta, was out most of the season. That, coupled with Gradkowski failing as a replacement for Birk, Osemele going down for the season, and the overall play of the OL falling off a cliff, is why we missed the playoffs.

So, there's a lot of reasons as to why the Ravens performed badly this season, but Joe's contract is not one of them.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pigsooie5


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 4114
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Joyride15 wrote:
da_bears6 wrote:
Everyone laughed at the Ryan contract, everyone laughed at the Flacco contract, everyone laughed at the Romo contract, everyone laughed at the Stafford extension, everyone laughed at the Cutler contract.

How long until people realize this is the reality of the NFL right now. Mid-tier QBs will continue to make 16-18mil a year(or 21 if you're Matt Ryan). People can say it's Rodgers money but it's not. This is a 3year/54mil contract with the ability to keep him after year 3 or let him go with no cap penalty. Had to pay a little more because it is only 3 years long.

Basically franchised him for 3 years without the penalty for franchising a player in consecutive years.


... and not one of those teams made the playoffs this year. Hard to allocate that much of your team's cap to one player unless they are ELITE.


At least in terms of Flacco, his contract had 0 impact on this season seeing as his cap hit was actually lower than it was in their SB winning season.

Not to mention, where we lost the most players was on defense and that unit actually improved. Our offense was anemic and the only guy we lost to FA was Boldin which had some impact, yes, but moreso to do with the fact that the guy in line to replicate his production, Pitta, was out most of the season. That, coupled with Gradkowski failing as a replacement for Birk, Osemele going down for the season, and the overall play of the OL falling off a cliff, is why we missed the playoffs.

So, there's a lot of reasons as to why the Ravens performed badly this season, but Joe's contract is not one of them.

Phil Emery did that on purpose. Even AFTER the Cutler contract, with the expected release of Julius Peppers, Chicago will have ~$44 million in cap space. Now compare them in 2-3 years down the road... Jay's cap hits in 2016 and 2017 are $15 and $16 million compared to $28.5 and $31 million in Flaccos contract.
_________________

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 22524
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Joyride15 wrote:
da_bears6 wrote:
Everyone laughed at the Ryan contract, everyone laughed at the Flacco contract, everyone laughed at the Romo contract, everyone laughed at the Stafford extension, everyone laughed at the Cutler contract.

How long until people realize this is the reality of the NFL right now. Mid-tier QBs will continue to make 16-18mil a year(or 21 if you're Matt Ryan). People can say it's Rodgers money but it's not. This is a 3year/54mil contract with the ability to keep him after year 3 or let him go with no cap penalty. Had to pay a little more because it is only 3 years long.

Basically franchised him for 3 years without the penalty for franchising a player in consecutive years.


... and not one of those teams made the playoffs this year. Hard to allocate that much of your team's cap to one player unless they are ELITE.


At least in terms of Flacco, his contract had 0 impact on this season seeing as his cap hit was actually lower than it was in their SB winning season.

Not to mention, where we lost the most players was on defense and that unit actually improved. Our offense was anemic and the only guy we lost to FA was Boldin which had some impact, yes, but moreso to do with the fact that the guy in line to replicate his production, Pitta, was out most of the season. That, coupled with Gradkowski failing as a replacement for Birk, Osemele going down for the season, and the overall play of the OL falling off a cliff, is why we missed the playoffs.

So, there's a lot of reasons as to why the Ravens performed badly this season, but Joe's contract is not one of them.

Phil Emery did that on purpose. Even AFTER the Cutler contract, with the expected release of Julius Peppers, Chicago will have ~$44 million in cap space. Now compare them in 2-3 years down the road... Jay's cap hits in 2016 and 2017 are $15 and $16 million compared to $28.5 and $31 million in Flaccos contract.


That has nothing to do with anything I mentioned, but ok. Nothing I mentioned compared Flacco's contract to Cutler's, simply clarifying an incorrectly stated point by the poster I quoted.

As for Flacco's big hits, it's structured that way for a reason (much like Cutler's) -- after 3 years, the contract will be restructured one way or another whether he's extended or he's cut. The Ravens will never face a $28.5 cap hit for Flacco. They'll either cut him and take a huge hit in 2016 (though still save cap space) or they'll extend him and lower that hit substantially. It's all planned out to a "T".
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7120
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure when getting paid like Romo or Stafford became a compliment. Obviously Cutler's deal used Romo's as precedent. The next mid-tier QB to get a deal will use Cutler's as precedent.

McCown had his struggles in Trestman's offense, same as Cutler. He looked good because he took care of the ball and because Trestman has a long history of getting the most out of journeymen QBs.

One thing I've noticed in two years of watching how Phil Emery works is that he values potential upside quite a bit, which is likely why Cutler was given an extension. They're willing to take the risks because the ceiling is higher.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LikesHAM


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 1759
Location: St Louis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Cutler's ceiling is where he is now. He isn't magically going to start getting better as a player this late into his career.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
da_bears6


Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 69
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
Jay Cutler's ceiling is where he is now. He isn't magically going to start getting better as a player this late into his career.


He doesn't really need to get any better. He just needs a coach and OC who can call plays, design an offense and use him to his abilities. Something he never had since his time in Denver. Turner, Martz and Tice were all a jokes of a OC. It's no coincidence none of those guys are no longer in the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group