Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears, Cutler, Agree to 7 Year Deal [$50m Guaranteed]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da_bears6 wrote:
Everyone laughed at the Ryan contract, everyone laughed at the Flacco contract, everyone laughed at the Romo contract, everyone laughed at the Stafford extension, everyone laughed at the Cutler contract.

How long until people realize this is the reality of the NFL right now. Mid-tier QBs will continue to make 16-18mil a year(or 21 if you're Matt Ryan). People can say it's Rodgers money but it's not. This is a 3year/54mil contract with the ability to keep him after year 3 or let him go with no cap penalty. Had to pay a little more because it is only 3 years long.

Basically franchised him for 3 years without the penalty for franchising a player in consecutive years.

Everyone laughed at the Stafford contract because it was before the rookie wage scale. Ridiculous contract and now we are saddled with it and it hinders our ability as cap goes.

I still have high hopes for Stafford but he should not be paid what he is getting paid. I think his contract isn't the same situation as these Cutler/Ryan/Flacco contracts.

Lions hands were tied because of a ridiculous system.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
da_bears6 wrote:
Everyone laughed at the Ryan contract, everyone laughed at the Flacco contract, everyone laughed at the Romo contract, everyone laughed at the Stafford extension, everyone laughed at the Cutler contract.

How long until people realize this is the reality of the NFL right now. Mid-tier QBs will continue to make 16-18mil a year(or 21 if you're Matt Ryan). People can say it's Rodgers money but it's not. This is a 3year/54mil contract with the ability to keep him after year 3 or let him go with no cap penalty. Had to pay a little more because it is only 3 years long.

Basically franchised him for 3 years without the penalty for franchising a player in consecutive years.

Everyone laughed at the Stafford contract because it was before the rookie wage scale. Ridiculous contract and now we are saddled with it and it hinders our ability as cap goes.

I still have high hopes for Stafford but he should not be paid what he is getting paid. I think his contract isn't the same situation as these Cutler/Ryan/Flacco contracts.

best thing NFL has done in awhile is the rookie wage scale...
Athelite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
da_bears6 wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9463577/detroit-lions-matthew-stafford-agree-3-year-extension-source

^Takeonme^
nagahide13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da_bears6 wrote:

Meh. If you want a QB that can potentially get you a championship you have to pay out the rear. I think Cutler, Stafford and (obviously) Flacco are guys that have that potential. Cutler may have to get streaky, and Stafford might have to make some significant strides in terms of development... But those are guys that can put a hurting on opposing defenses on a regular basis.

I'm not a huge fan of Flacco, but he's got a ring and has played exceptional football in the playoffs. Since I'm talking about QBs that can get you a ring, my personal assessments are irrelevant. He's already done it, and he wasn't carried there by his team.

I don't think Matt Ryan will ever be anything more than he currently is... a middle of the pack starting QB. I don't think he'll ever have what it takes to carry a team through the playoffs.

Cutler and Stafford are mid-tier QBs that have everything they'd need in terms of smarts and skillset to make the jump into elite status. Whether they'll actually do it is a different question... I like Stafford more since he's younger and seems to be a bit better than Cutler at most things outside of general mobility, but he's also on my Lions. Stafford could very easily become an elite QB that brings his city multiple SBs, but the Lions are an organization that could very easily ruin his career and force him into eternal obscurity.

/end rant.

You pay big bucks for QBs that have the skills and smarts to win your city a championship... Even if they aren't guys that are elite enough to give you a chance every year. That's the reality.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing about Cutler is he's totally undeserving of that contract. Atleast Flacco, Ryan, Stafford have shown they are worthy of their contracts. Flacco won a SB ring and plays for a team that has had a poor history at the QB position and is expected to be the face of the franchise. Ryan has been one of the best QB's in the league and has had great success. Stafford has shown he can put up elite #'s and is one of the premier young QB's..

But Cutler? He's just shown he's a -, a loser, injury prone and throws too many picks. He has good tools for a QB but he's a mental midget. He's not better than Alex Smith while Smith is one a 3yr/$24mil contract..
da_bears6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for you analysis but I'll trust our front office over you. But you could be right. 2014 will be interesting.
Pool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Thing about Cutler is he's totally undeserving of that contract. Atleast Flacco, Ryan, Stafford have shown they are worthy of their contracts. Flacco won a SB ring and plays for a team that has had a poor history at the QB position and is expected to be the face of the franchise. Ryan has been one of the best QB's in the league and has had great success. Stafford has shown he can put up elite #'s and is one of the premier young QB's..

But Cutler? He's just shown he's a -, a loser, injury prone and throws too many picks. He has good tools for a QB but he's a mental midget. He's not better than Alex Smith while Smith is one a 3yr/$24mil contract..

Watch more football and less ESPN.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is the money that we are seeing be thrown to mediocre to slightly better than mediocre QBs right now, plus with inflation being an issue every new season, I can't wait to see the money guys like Andy Dalton or Geno Smith get...This is going to be funny.

As another poster said, your better off having a horrible QB than a mediocre one, otherwise you are throwing away millions upon millions on not so talented players...

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: