Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Kluwe Claims he Was Cut because of Views on ..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if his new team is upset that he is speaking out right now.....o wait.

if was fired JUST for his activism, he would have found a new team.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
sn0mm1s

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:

Not true - many teams won't pick him up *because* of his activism.
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn0mm1s wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

highly doubt MANY teams wouldnt, especially if they needed a punter. there might be teams that would take a little bit lesser of a player or a different equal player that doesnt have the baggage of his activism....but if he had skills teams would not let him sit at home.

Donut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I have been supportive of Kluwe in the past, but this just doenst sit well with me. I am all for being outspoken, but this doesnt seem to do anything to actually support his clause, rather, make someone else look bad. Why did it take so long for Priefer's supposed treatment of Kluwe to come out? Wouldnt someone on the team have noticed? Especially Blair Walsh, who was probably the closest players on the team to Kluwe and Priefer in 2012. Walsh is siding with Priefer.

Not saying Kluwe is right or wrong, but obviously current players aren't goona speak bad about the team and players not employed wouldn't want to get involved in this situation cause it hurts their chances of coming back. In the article he said teammates were present to witness Priefer's comments and gave direct quotes of their reactions. He said in the article that he didn't come out with it earlier cause he didn't want to be a distraction to the team/his friends during their regular season and he didn't want to hurt his chances in the NFL by coming out with all this, but since he doubt he has a future in the NFL...it's all out.

Its hard for Kluwe to justify his comments if he cant provide support. What specifically did Priefer say? Where are these players? The support for Priefer has been strong so far, there hasnt been a single former player who has come out to support Kluwe yet. Maybe they will come.

Longwell is a bitter former player. When Frazier was fired, Longwell came out and said the wrong person was fired (referring to Rick Spielman who cut Longwell). I would think that Longwell, who has no chance of coming back to the NFL, would have echoed Kluwe's remarks if it was as appalling as Kluwe has made the situation out to be. Longwell and Kluwe were very close.

He does provide one quote in the article:
"We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows."

Of course, no one else has confirmed or denied this yet. I don't think Kluwe would straight-up lie, though, but he may have exaggerated and/or paraphrased, not remembering the exact quote.

Kluwe is probably smart enough to know that it would be libel to put a false claim out there. I'm guessing he probably has an old teammate or two willing to back him up on his claims.

You have to prove 3 things for it to be libel. And Kluwe basically points out 2 of them in his article. So if he can prove that Kluwe was lying it is an open and shut case.

Also don't help Priefer that his son had a bunch of homophobic tweets on twitter that some bloggers have screen shot and put out there and as to my knowledge I havent seen Kluwe do anything that would make him a claim of him a liar.

eagles101 wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

highly doubt MANY teams wouldnt, especially if they needed a punter. there might be teams that would take a little bit lesser of a player or a different equal player that doesnt have the baggage of his activism....but if he had skills teams would not let him sit at home.

Cheaper player. Doesn't make headlines for things he says. Teams would definitely chose a younger or even a worse punter to avoid a media circus.
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:

Cheaper player. Doesn't make headlines for things he says. Teams would definitely chose a younger or even a worse punter to avoid a media circus.

cheaper and younger are way bigger then the media circus...if there even is one. im not sure how talking on the radio (wasnt it just local stations?) and going to events caused any real media circus...especially since hes a punter.

Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not true then we'll forget about it in a week.

If it is, then it's deeply disappointing and saddening, but ultimately not surprising.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
sn0mm1s

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

If a team would take a lesser player due to Kluwe's activism - then they aren't picking him up due to his activism.
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn0mm1s wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

If a team would take a lesser player due to Kluwe's activism - then they aren't picking him up due to his activism.

not solely for that reason or even for a major reason. but if you had two players exactly the same but one is big on a controversial topic and the other doesnt...whats wrong with taking the one with less of a headache or even taking a player that might be slightly worse.

getting a player with talent will automatically trump anything else. you would have to be doing something a lot more then going to banquets and talking on the radio to actually have an NFL team turn there back to you if you are talented. peyton manning could spend every minute not on the football field being the biggest gay rights activist in the world and teams would still line up at the door to sign him.

Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

not solely for that reason or even for a major reason. but if you had two players exactly the same but one is big on a controversial topic and the other doesnt...whats wrong with taking the one with less of a headache or even taking a player that might be slightly worse.

getting a player with talent will automatically trump anything else. you would have to be doing something a lot more then going to banquets and talking on the radio to actually have an NFL team turn there back to you if you are talented. peyton manning could spend every minute not on the football field being the biggest gay rights activist in the world and teams would still line up at the door to sign him.

Not disagreeing, but he was all up in them tweets that then national media picked up.
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
Donut wrote:

cheaper and younger are way bigger then the media circus...if there even is one. im not sure how talking on the radio (wasnt it just local stations?) and going to events caused any real media circus...especially since hes a punter.

He had a letter w/ Senator that was big headliner. He went on Colbert Report one time. He provides a lot of attention. And his twitter is really popular and he isn't far behind AJ Green in followers.

eagles101 wrote:

I disagree w/ Talent>media. At a certain point media attention just makes it not worth it. Tebow is an example of that. He is definitely more useful than some of the 3rd stringers that actually stick in the league but his media circus of existing out weighs that. If your getting a HOFer like Manning yeah. But if Matt Cassel was out preaching and stirring up a media circus teams would probably prefer Tolzien or some other backup people value less than Cassel. big difference looking at a HOFer top tier Qb and a solid contributor on a roster.

Though I understand cutting those distractions loose. Which I totally understand that in best interest of the team. My issue is completely w/ the bigotry the coach expresses and whatever the team has to do because it's come out he has to deal w/ the consequences. And Kluwe is dealing w/ his for speaking his mind. Though Kluwe's is imo far more noble. Laughing
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to this, but ultimately, Kluwe got cut due to a decline in performance.

We saved ourselves money with cutting him, and we were able to draft a rookie Punter later in the draft, who wasn't bad (but wasn't really good either).

down but not out. I still believe!
eagles101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Donut wrote:

He had a letter w/ Senator that was big headliner. He went on Colbert Report one time. He provides a lot of attention. And his twitter is really popular and he isn't far behind AJ Green in followers.

eagles101 wrote:

I disagree w/ Talent>media. At a certain point media attention just makes it not worth it. Tebow is an example of that. He is definitely more useful than some of the 3rd stringers that actually stick in the league but his media circus of existing out weighs that. If your getting a HOFer like Manning yeah. But if Matt Cassel was out preaching and stirring up a media circus teams would probably prefer Tolzien or some other backup people value less than Cassel. big difference looking at a HOFer top tier Qb and a solid contributor on a roster.

Though I understand cutting those distractions loose. Which I totally understand that in best interest of the team. My issue is completely w/ the bigotry the coach expresses and whatever the team has to do because it's come out he has to deal w/ the consequences. And Kluwe is dealing w/ his for speaking his mind. Though Kluwe's is imo far more noble. Laughing

didnt know he was that big of thing he was doing. never really heard that much from him. definitely heard things but not enough to think that it would be a distraction at all. you can get enough distraction that your worth is dimensioned but that is always second to talent. if your a contributor then you would have to be a huge distraction to get kicked off the team or not signed by someone.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...this is news? A FA Punter saying...anything?

Back in my day, this was NFL General material. But, what do I know.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
...this is news? A FA Punter saying...anything?

Back in my day, this was NFL General material. But, what do I know.

Regardless if he's employed now or not, I'd still say this is a very big deal. What if Kluwe isn't making this up? I'd say we have a pretty big problem here, one that the NFL must take seriously.

What if this was just a retired player? What if he did have a job now? That is totally irrelevant. He's part of the NFL, and so we should discuss him. But, what do I know?

down but not out. I still believe!
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withmy89vision wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Pacman Jones is still playing in the nfl. They aren't going to get rid of a quality player for something as trivial as political views.

Exactly. Steelers kept Mendenhall after the pro-Osama tweets

There were no pro Osama tweets.

He said that it's wrong to celebrate death and that the spontaneous street parties were distasteful.

Nothing pro Al Qaeda

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: