Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marshawn Lynch fined 50k for not talking to media
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised. Lynch is notorious for being short and unresponsive to the media.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Pretty sure I saw somewhere that he can get a tax deduction from this though so it's not that bad (I'm not sure how that'd work but whatever).

I wish I could get fined more then my annual yearly salary and consider it not bad.

Dammit why was I born so short, slow, lazy and nonathletic Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
how did Lynch get away with not talking to the media during the entire season, and the NFL just now figured it out? The NFL should self-impose a fine on themselves for being terrible at enforcing their own rule.

that is a hard rule to enforce if you think about it. its not like they go down the list of all the players and see if they answered questions, only players that the news wants to talk to talk. so someone probably tattled on the cattle.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Art_Vandalay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most players have scripted answers in their minds regardless of the question. Every watch a Peyton Manning interview?

Reporter: So, what was going through your mind on that 3rd and 10?
Peyton: I'm proud of my team. They work very hard throughout the week and were able to execute the gameplan the way we wanted to.

Reporter: Do you like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?
Peyton: Well, you know there are some things we can work on so we can get better. It's just a matter of continuously working at it.

You can give one word answers if you'd like. It's not difficult.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
Timothy67 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
This is why I never understood why players get blasted by fans for answering questions. They are legally obligated to under their contracts. And reporters ask them loaded questions that sometimes result in answers they had no way around.

they dont have to answer questions with good answers. they get blasted for saying stupid things when they could go BB and basically give an answer that doesnt answer the question.

Which, if they are not beloved like BB, results in meds, especially sports talk, verbally brutalizing you for hours in revenge.

when? when has this happened? ive never seen anyone get attacked for giving striaght forward or simplistic answers that dont give the answer they want.

Eddie Murray. Baseball, but he's a classic example.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who is mad about this or thinks it stupid misses the point completely. You may say "screw the media" but the NFL is an entertainment business that relies on consumers/viewers tuning in and being interested. Do the teams, players, coaches, etc. make nearly the money, or any money for that matter, that they do now if noone is covering the games and the public isn't interested? Easy answer there. This is all a part of the CBA and players know that. If they don't, then that's their agents' fault (but ultimately the players'). If your job requires you to make 5 public appearances a year or do 40 hours of pro bono work or something like that, you may think its stupid but you don't have a leg to stand on when you receive some sort of discipline, assuming that this was communicated to you when you accepted the position.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
It's a double standard. They want you to show up and talk with them, and then as soon as you say something remotely bad or questionable, they pull it out of context and make a headline on it on NFL.com.

If I was a player, I would answer everything like Peyton Manning. Just smile, and being overly positive about everything. You don't get the scrutiny of "dodging" that Belichek gets, but no one can say your a "bad leader"(what they tried to pin on Cam his first two years), and no one can say you aren't being cooperative. Peyton Manning literally has the blueprint for not getting in these media scandals and saying completely neutral sentences that you can't twist either way.

Only problem is that it would entail everyone to have the IQ of a Peyton Manning which we know is highly unlikely. Some of these guys are dumber than a bag of bricks, just physically gifted.

life is one huge game that infinite awareness has with itself
eagles101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Timothy67 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
This is why I never understood why players get blasted by fans for answering questions. They are legally obligated to under their contracts. And reporters ask them loaded questions that sometimes result in answers they had no way around.

they dont have to answer questions with good answers. they get blasted for saying stupid things when they could go BB and basically give an answer that doesnt answer the question.

Which, if they are not beloved like BB, results in meds, especially sports talk, verbally brutalizing you for hours in revenge.

when? when has this happened? ive never seen anyone get attacked for giving striaght forward or simplistic answers that dont give the answer they want.

not big into baseball so im not sure whats going on with him.

Sacks98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
how did Lynch get away with not talking to the media during the entire season, and the NFL just now figured it out? The NFL should self-impose a fine on themselves for being terrible at enforcing their own rule.

I know right? Over the last 4 seasons i only heard him talk to the media when he first got here then he went silent.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Timothy67 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

not big into baseball so im not sure whats going on with him.

Quote:
Murray was a big-money player and his own man. He was an introvert before he came to Baltimore, and he is that way today.

"I never had trouble interviewing him when I was a reporter for WBAL," said Curt Anderson, a former state delegate who now practices law in Baltimore. "Part of Eddie's problem was perception, the way they wrote about him and talked about him on television and on the radio. They painted him as an irascible man."

Oh, the media wouldn't do that, would they?

Murray's media troubles began with a column written by - Young of the New York Daily News in October 1979. Murray wasn't happy about some things written about his family. From then on, he mistrusted reporters and turned down a lot of interview requests.

No big deal, huh?

Bonds and Murray don't like the media. They don't like our questions and the dumb, little games we sometimes play. Here's one of our little games: We keep asking for interviews even though we know we're not going to get one, sometimes to provoke a response.

With each denied request, Murray's reputation for a sour demeanor grew, perpetuated mostly by an unhappy media. But eventually, the media always get their revenge because a player might need a Hall of Fame vote, or they zero in when a player becomes old and his skills start to fade.

That time came for Murray after an August 1986 news conference in which then-owner Edward Bennett Williams said Murray needed to stay in better shape and produce more, which could easily be interpreted as Williams calling Murray lazy.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.preston27jul27,0,5031336.column

Full write up available there. It was tough to cut around some of the race-focused parts for quoting. Essentially Eddie Murray didn't really pal up to the media and they did him zero favors in return, some would say they went out of their ways to paint him in a negative light. Many believe that was a driving force of him not retiring an Oriole for his entire career.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed when someone sent me a link to donate in an effort to help pay off Beast Mode's fine. Seriously? I compare this in a similar fashion to when I was going to college. The Corrections courses I took as electives were very easy, so easy that I had 100% going into the final in all 4 of my Corrections courses. The final consisted of a presentation in front of the classroom. Instead of getting in front of everyone, I opted out of the final entirely which counted for 20% of my grade. I ended up completing every course with a 3.2 GPA (B+) after being docked for not completing it. I was more than happy to accept the drop in grade so that I didn't have to stand in front of everyone and give a presentation. I'm sure Marshawn feels the same way about 50k, which is probably less than 1% of what he makes in a season. It has less of an impact on him than my decision did on me, and I wasn't complaining one bit. Some people just don't like the spotlight and will welcome a way of getting out of it. He will probably do the same next year as well.

Obviously, two different situations, but they both are similar. I'm sure he knew he was going to get fined and was probably eager to get it so he could pay it off and be done with it, move on and focus on the next game.
Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie Romania wrote:
I laughed when someone sent me a link to donate in an effort to help pay off Beast Mode's fine. Seriously?

Quote:
Shawn Lynch ‏@MoneyLynch

Thank u to the 12s for tryin to help out, I will match the money raised and send it to a charity #12thMan #beastmode #Seahawks

He definitely has enough money to pay the fine, but at least he's willing to give some back that's raised.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda silly fans want to raise money for that of all things though

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Lynch doesn't care Laughing I'm disappointed the article wasn't posted.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000309330/article/seahawks-marshawn-lynch-fined-50000-by-nfl
Quote:

How has the season gone?

"Gone pretty well," Lynch said.

How do you feel about Seattle's chances?

"I feel good. I like our chances."

Think you'll have a big game next weekend?

"I just hope to win, boss."

Lynch is the man.

Is there video of his "interview"? Sounds hilarious.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
eagles101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Kinda silly fans want to raise money for that of all things though

more ironic then silly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: