Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins fire Mike Sherman
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patdt13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Dolphins fire Mike Sherman Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/420261804191670272

Quote:
Mike Sherman has been relieved of his duties, the Dolphins announce.

#TeamMeowgatron
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they're keeping Ireland...

Rolling Eyes

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god. More than anyone else who needed to be fired in Miami, this guy did.

Going into the last two games of the season, Miami controlled its own destiny. Mike Sherman's offense ended up scoring 7 points since, playing games against the Bills and the Jets. His playbook has been bland and predictable through 2 seasons with the team, he's simply running an antiquated playbook. Some may defend him by saying he did the best he could with our historically bad offensive line, but at the end of the day, this needed to happen. That's all folks.

Hope we can bring in a Quarterback guy who can help develop Tannehill's deep accuracy issues. Of course, this will all be moot unless we can seriously address the offensive line this offseason (ironic, I said the same thing after last season that it was our largest position of need).

kgarrett12486 wrote:
But they're keeping Ireland...

Rolling Eyes

Not happy about retaining Ireland, but it's getting to the point he is being far too criticized on this board. He has a lot of issues, no doubt, but he actually isn't the worst GM ever. Considering he was extended in the off-season for only one more year, I think its safe to say he's on a very short leash... another disappointing season and he's gone.

Nacho Simulation Football League
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to be done. someone had to take the fall, and it was clear it was the offense.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Dolphin Dude

I truly don't think Ireland is even that bad of a GM. We needed pieces on offense? He brings in guys like Dustin Keller, Brandon Gibson, and the big FA Mike Wallace to boost our passing attack and resigning Brian Hartline. He brought in Karlos Dansby, and once he left our team, he is playing like a top 8 player at his position this season with the Cardinals.

Ireland does bring in decent talent, our coaches just can't utilize their talent well. Our drafts may not have been good with drafting Michael Egnew over TY Hilton, etc., but i guarantee if Dion Jordan was on any other team, they would utilize him WAY better than we have, same with Mike Wallace not getting the ball on screens and deep slants, where hes most effective

GIVE ME CHUD!

AIM/Steam/XBL: ChosenOne3188
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphin Dude wrote:
I truly don't think Ireland is even that bad of a GM. We needed pieces on offense? He brings in guys like Dustin Keller, Brandon Gibson, and the big FA Mike Wallace to boost our passing attack and resigning Brian Hartline. He brought in Karlos Dansby, and once he left our team, he is playing like a top 8 player at his position this season with the Cardinals.

Ireland does bring in decent talent, our coaches just can't utilize their talent well. Our drafts may not have been good with drafting Michael Egnew over TY Hilton, etc., but i guarantee if Dion Jordan was on any other team, they would utilize him WAY better than we have, same with Mike Wallace not getting the ball on screens and deep slants, where hes most effective

So what did he do to address our largest need going into last offseason (the offensive line) which was once again exposed this season?

You praise him for bringing in Dansby but a year later he switched the team to the 4-3 when he is a much better fit for the 3-4.

Regardless of whether or not we used Wallace effectively, he still was paid way more than he is worth by Ireland. Everyone knew at the time that he was a one trick pony with hands issues. Regardless of whether Tannehill can hit on his one redeeming feature, Wallace was massively overpaid for what he is (A slightly better Ted Ginn).

You seem to want to blame the coaches, but even if that is the case, Ireland hired Phiblin to begin with.

On top of everything else, Miami's 2013 rookie draft class was by far the least productive draft class of the lot. Our first three picks hardly saw the field at all this season:
Dion Jordan
Jamar Taylor
Dallas Thomas (considering our porous OL, this is especially troubling)

Dolphin Dude

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Dolphin Dude wrote:

So what did he do to address our largest need going into last offseason (the offensive line) which was once again exposed this season?

You praise him for bringing in Dansby but a year later he switched the team to the 4-3 when he is a much better fit for the 3-4.

Regardless of whether or not we used Wallace effectively, he still was paid way more than he is worth by Ireland. Everyone knew at the time that he was a one trick pony with hands issues. Regardless of whether Tannehill can hit on his one redeeming feature, Wallace was massively overpaid for what he is (A slightly better Ted Ginn).

You seem to want to blame the coaches, but even if that is the case, Ireland hired Phiblin to begin with.

On top of everything else, Miami's 2013 rookie draft class was by far the least productive draft class of the lot. Our first three picks hardly saw the field at all this season:
Dion Jordan
Jamar Taylor

No, going into last year, our BIGGEST, most GLARING need was wide receiver. Hartline was our #1....let that sink in. He did what he had to do with limited wide receivers in FA and grabbed a speedster to help us get big yardage downfield and a possession guy in Gibson, plus resigning reliable Hartline and testing to see if Keller would work out. To clarify I do think we will eventually clean house after next season cause I can't see it going good, but regarding our draft I still think Dion Jordan will be a force for us after getting coached up (properly) which may not happen and Jamar Taylor was injured all year....he drafted on potential which could be good but clearly doesn't work when our coaches can't utilize it.

And yes, he hired Philbin, but wasn't Philbin a Ross guy? I'm honestly not even sure who hires who and who fires who at this point anymore. For example, the only reason Sherman got fired was because AFTER Philbin said he wouldn't do it because Sherman was a close friend, Ross most likely threatened Philbin's job to do it, and therefore it was done.

Regardless I think we need to clean house because I can't see this franchise doing anything next year with where we are at now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphin Dude wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Dolphin Dude wrote:

Dion Jordan
Jamar Taylor

No, going into last year, our BIGGEST, most GLARING need was wide receiver. Hartline was our #1....let that sink in. He did what he had to do with limited wide receivers in FA and grabbed a speedster to help us get big yardage downfield and a possession guy in Gibson, plus resigning reliable Hartline and testing to see if Keller would work out. To clarify I do think we will eventually clean house after next season cause I can't see it going good, but regarding our draft I still think Dion Jordan will be a force for us after getting coached up (properly) which may not happen and Jamar Taylor was injured all year....he drafted on potential which could be good but clearly doesn't work when our coaches can't utilize it.

And yes, he hired Philbin, but wasn't Philbin a Ross guy? I'm honestly not even sure who hires who and who fires who at this point anymore. For example, the only reason Sherman got fired was because AFTER Philbin said he wouldn't do it because Sherman was a close friend, Ross most likely threatened Philbin's job to do it, and therefore it was done.

Regardless I think we need to clean house because I can't see this franchise doing anything next year with where we are at now

What's wrong with Hartline exactly? We also had Bess before we traded him and there were plenty of drafting options available (I wanted Keenan Allen in the 2nd round for example). Aside from resigning Hartline there really wasn't a huge need at receiver, although I liked the Dustin Keller move because we had a TE need at that time. Gibson was also a good signing, since we got a pretty good bargain for a good receiver.

Meanwhile, our starting LT Jake Long was leaving town, after a season our starting Quarterback was sacked 35 times. We did nothing to address this issue except for signing a washed up RT who doesn't fit our OL scheme in Tyson Clabo & a 3rd round pick in Dallas Thomas. Consequently, our QB got sacked 58 times this year (let that sink in). And no, it's not just because of the Incognito / Martin issue, as our offensive line was terrible before we lost them (both were having poor years). We were incredibly weak on-paper in this category going into the off-season, and even worse in practice. And yet we broke the bank for Mike Wallace and not a guy like Branden Albert? Or try to throw some more money at Jake Long to try to retain him?

I don't see how you can really defend Ireland considering the fact he's been here for several years and the overall talent level on this team has remained mediocre. He's an average drafter (has he hit on a 2nd round pick yet?), and an even worse free agent spender. Can you think of a single multi-year free agent signing he was responsible for that has actually panned out? Aside from a few we signed last offseason the jury still is out on, not many (Cam Wake was a Parcels pick up). And aside from a few draft hits like Reshad Jones he doesn't have much going for him in talent he's brought to this team via the draft.

Also, Ross & Ireland worked on the coach interview process together. From what I understand, they were both impressed with Philbin, and thus, hired him. Never really heard anything that suggested Ireland had an issue with him, and it seems they have a decent enough working relationship.

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman? From Green Bay?

I thought he was an offensive genius?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Sherman? From Green Bay?

If at any point he ever was, not anymore, the game changes and he did not change his game accordingly. Although he was kind of overrated at that point, benefiting from Brett Favre.

eagles101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Sherman? From Green Bay?

im thinking the key word there is was.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphin Dude wrote:

Ireland picks the coach(es) who you say misuse the talent he brings in. Isn't that a problem?

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to be done

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
dosbox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - although the move can be justified, it still must have been tough for Philbin to actually go ahead and fire Sherman. After seeing Munchak getting fired, especially after he refused to overhaul the assistant coaches - I wonder if this any influence on Philbin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: