Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons hire former HC Mike Tice as OL Coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Falcons hire former HC Mike Tice as OL Coach Reply with quote

Per the falcons official website

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Tice-Agrees-to-Terms-to-Become-Falcons-OL-Coach/b15d2fcb-7aa5-47bf-9535-438d36a23cb6

Not to sure what im thinking on this still but i know he has had some good Ol under him specifically when all he was is a OL coach. Plus even in jacksonville and chicago they were top 10 in rushing the ball behind his lines.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horrible HC, good positional/ol coach. good move for ATL imo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said about his friend Ernest Hemingway, "a man on a ledge can count on him to lend a hand...from below..." Cool
green24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
F. Scott Fitzgerald once said about his friend Ernest Hemingway, "a man on a ledge can count on him to lend a hand...from below..." Cool

What?
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

What?

I think I get it (which worries me). I think he's trying to say the Falcon's O-Line is terrible and needs help. Unfortunately the help is coming from someone (Tice) whose not that good in his own right...
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Cool

I hate the Jaguars
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A team with a struggling O-line brings in Mike Tice to fix the problem. This sounds very familiar...
Badger75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

What?

I think I get it (which worries me). I think he's trying to say the Falcon's O-Line is terrible and needs help. Unfortunately the help is coming from someone (Tice) whose not that good in his own right...

Tice has been a head coach and an offensive coordinator. He is joining a team with talent that mysteriously failed. One year reprieve for the HC...be careful of help from below... Wink
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

What?

If you get lent a hand from below, they're going to pull you off the ledge. He's saying that Tice is only going to make things worse...not better.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
horrible HC, good positional/ol coach. good move for ATL imo

Also a horrible OC.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tice was a good Oline coach in the early 2000s, then again, the Vikes had some studs up front in Steussie, McDaniel, Christy, Dixon and Stringer.

I dont really understand the hire, Tice really hasnt shown much ability to develop lineman since getting the opportunity to coach that excellent group. Im amazed he can still find work. Jeff Davidson was the Falcons top choice and they settled for Tice. Surely, Munchak would have been a better hire.

Oline was one of the bigger issues for the Vikes by the time Tice was fired.

He coached TEs with the Jags and the Bears have regularly had line issues pre 2013.
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Tice was a good Oline coach in the early 2000s, then again, the Vikes had some studs up front in Steussie, McDaniel, Christy, Dixon and Stringer.

I dont really understand the hire, Tice really hasnt shown much ability to develop lineman since getting the opportunity to coach that excellent group. Im amazed he can still find work. Jeff Davidson was the Falcons top choice and they settled for Tice. Surely, Munchak would have been a better hire.

Oline was one of the bigger issues for the Vikes by the time Tice was fired.

He coached TEs with the Jags and the Bears have regularly had line issues pre 2013.

Tice worked with Mike Smith and Smith rarely hires a coach that he doesn't have a prior connection to.

The Falcons don't have a ton of talent on the line, LG Justin Blalock is the only guy who doesn't need developing. The Falcons need someone who can coach up Lamar Holmes (who could still be a good RT) and Jow Hawley (who showed a ton of promise at C). I'm just not sure Tice is the guy to do that.

But he's an upgrade over Pat Hill and if the Falcons make moves to acquire talent this offseason, then I trust him to "maintain" that talent. I'm just not sure if I trust him as a talent developer.

Foster a Falcon '14: Julio Jones
FakingInjuries wrote:

Without those elite targets, [Matt Ryan] is in the same tier as Matt Cassell.
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a meh hire here for Atlanta. Thought they'd go for someone a little better than Mike Tice for this position.
MaclinandMCcoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

What?

Tice has been a head coach and an offensive coordinator. He is joining a team with talent that mysteriously failed. One year reprieve for the HC...be careful of help from below... Wink

You are truly one of my favorite posters on this site.

Keep doing you badger Cool
coors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like FF13 said, I'm not exactly how I feel about the hire of Tice, yet. ''

Where was his last job? Wasn't it as a position coach for the Bears? I'm not positive.

Whoever Tice worked for last, can someone who follows whichever team it is chime in a bit and let us know how he was?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: