Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins hire Jay Gruden to be HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9465
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the coach of the Redskins and having a diva like RGMe as your QB, plus having Haslett as your DC is like an instant coaching death sentence. We'll probably be talking in a few years about who the Skins just hired again.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 3860
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:
No way Gruden would start Cousins over RGIII.

I'm sure Snyder made it clear that Griffin is their franchise quarterback. He's Snyder's golden boy.

However I'm curious to see how Gruden and Griffin will be together. From everything I hear it sounds like it'd be hard for a HC to get along witb RGIII. Him apparently bragging about how he has a ton of pull with Snyder, how he's the goose with the golden egg, etc.

Griffin seemed to become a lot less likeable this season. Though this is all just speculation. But it seems that the vets on the team didn't respect him as much this year. That's important. You need your guys to buy into the QB and to respect him as a leader and as a player.


Multiple players (Garcon, D Hall, London Fletcher) have actually come out and said in the past couple days how much they like and respect RGIII and how shocked they were to find out how badly this situation has been mischaracterized by the media. I'm not going to go through the trouble of getting the videos and tweets of those statements right now, since you've already had your opinion formed about RGIII a long time ago. This is just more for others out there that didn't know.

Thing is...while it's not always wise to trust the "anonymous sources" who throw these accusations out there, it's not always wise to trust players who are still on the payroll. Do you think Dan Snyder is going to sit back and accept public criticism from his own players?


London Fletcher is retired, he didn't need to say what he said. It's much more likely that these reporters like Sally Jenkins are getting duped by bitter ex-coaches who have an axe to grind. Jenkins backed Lance Armstrong and Joe Paterno before the real truth in each of those situations was known too. So either she is a perpetual liar, or she is a perpetual dunce who is easily duped. Not too mention she is a known Shanny supporter and extremely anti-Snyder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LikesHAM


Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 1834
Location: St Louis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:
No way Gruden would start Cousins over RGIII.

I'm sure Snyder made it clear that Griffin is their franchise quarterback. He's Snyder's golden boy.

However I'm curious to see how Gruden and Griffin will be together. From everything I hear it sounds like it'd be hard for a HC to get along witb RGIII. Him apparently bragging about how he has a ton of pull with Snyder, how he's the goose with the golden egg, etc.

Griffin seemed to become a lot less likeable this season. Though this is all just speculation. But it seems that the vets on the team didn't respect him as much this year. That's important. You need your guys to buy into the QB and to respect him as a leader and as a player.


Multiple players (Garcon, D Hall, London Fletcher) have actually come out and said in the past couple days how much they like and respect RGIII and how shocked they were to find out how badly this situation has been mischaracterized by the media. I'm not going to go through the trouble of getting the videos and tweets of those statements right now, since you've already had your opinion formed about RGIII a long time ago. This is just more for others out there that didn't know.

Thing is...while it's not always wise to trust the "anonymous sources" who throw these accusations out there, it's not always wise to trust players who are still on the payroll. Do you think Dan Snyder is going to sit back and accept public criticism from his own players?


London Fletcher is retired, he didn't need to say what he said. It's much more likely that these reporters like Sally Jenkins are getting duped by bitter ex-coaches who have an axe to grind. Jenkins backed Lance Armstrong and Joe Paterno before the real truth in each of those situations was known too. So either she is a perpetual liar, or she is a perpetual dunce who is easily duped. Not too mention she is a known Shanny supporter and extremely anti-Snyder.


Based on his track record, why would anyone be "pro-Snyder"?

Also millions of people were duped by Paterno and Armstrong so that's hardly an indictment on anyone. Unless you have proof that you knew Armstrong was cheating during his Tour De France runs, or what was going on at Penn st before the story broke, you were just as clueless as anyone else. Wouldn't call that easily duped.

RG3 has alot of fences to meld next year. If he doesn't put this whole diva thing to rest, it will be a very rough future in D.C.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
21 ALL THE WAY


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 3340
Location: WASHINGTON DC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
The guy who convinced the Bengals to draft Dalton over Kaep, partly because he "wasn’t really into the read-option stuff", is now leaving to coach RG3?

Lol.

Didn't Dalton post better numbers than Kaep in the regular season?


I guess it depends on your definition of better.

Dalton:

4,293 yards
61.9% completion (363/586)
7.3 average yards per attempt.
33 Touchdowns
20 Interceptions
1.65 TD:INT
88.8 Rating


Kaepernick:

3,197 yards
58.4% Completion (243/416)
7.7 average yards per attempt
21 Touchdowns
8 Interceptions
2.625 TD:INT
91.6 Rating

So, if by better, you mean yardage and touchdowns, yes. Andy Dalton put up better numbers. If you're looking at efficiency, no. And, you can't deny Kaep's success in the playoffs over 0/3 Dalton.

Regardless of your definition, Wackywabbit's point was completely dismissed in your response. The guy that passed over a read-option quarterback for Dalton, is now going to coach RG3.


If that guy hasn't answered your question I'd be more than happy to give a response. Gruden could possibly not seen the read-option style QB making as much as a impact as they actually have in the league during that time. Now that he has the opportunity to coach Robert he knows he has both a pocket passer and a guy who can run the read option. Dalton numbers improved each year so I'm excited to see home lead Robert the same way.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 3860
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:
No way Gruden would start Cousins over RGIII.

I'm sure Snyder made it clear that Griffin is their franchise quarterback. He's Snyder's golden boy.

However I'm curious to see how Gruden and Griffin will be together. From everything I hear it sounds like it'd be hard for a HC to get along witb RGIII. Him apparently bragging about how he has a ton of pull with Snyder, how he's the goose with the golden egg, etc.

Griffin seemed to become a lot less likeable this season. Though this is all just speculation. But it seems that the vets on the team didn't respect him as much this year. That's important. You need your guys to buy into the QB and to respect him as a leader and as a player.


Multiple players (Garcon, D Hall, London Fletcher) have actually come out and said in the past couple days how much they like and respect RGIII and how shocked they were to find out how badly this situation has been mischaracterized by the media. I'm not going to go through the trouble of getting the videos and tweets of those statements right now, since you've already had your opinion formed about RGIII a long time ago. This is just more for others out there that didn't know.

Thing is...while it's not always wise to trust the "anonymous sources" who throw these accusations out there, it's not always wise to trust players who are still on the payroll. Do you think Dan Snyder is going to sit back and accept public criticism from his own players?


London Fletcher is retired, he didn't need to say what he said. It's much more likely that these reporters like Sally Jenkins are getting duped by bitter ex-coaches who have an axe to grind. Jenkins backed Lance Armstrong and Joe Paterno before the real truth in each of those situations was known too. So either she is a perpetual liar, or she is a perpetual dunce who is easily duped. Not too mention she is a known Shanny supporter and extremely anti-Snyder.


Based on his track record, why would anyone be "pro-Snyder"?

Also millions of people were duped by Paterno and Armstrong so that's hardly an indictment on anyone. Unless you have proof that you knew Armstrong was cheating during his Tour De France runs, or what was going on at Penn st before the story broke, you were just as clueless as anyone else. Wouldn't call that easily duped.

RG3 has alot of fences to meld next year. If he doesn't put this whole diva thing to rest, it will be a very rough future in D.C.


Except millions of ppl didn't go to bat for Lance and Joe as if they had inside knowledge of the situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 15116
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Please save RG3, Jay.


He's a lost cause man. sorry


I'd sure love to have that "lost cause" playing in a Vikings uniform.
_________________


Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74414
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I'm starting to think that Gruden will start Cousins over Griffin, seeing as Cousins fits a WCO, whereas the other played his best in a gimmick offense.

don't quit your day job then, thinking you could be a football analyst:


Gruden: “Robert Griffin III is the starter. There will be no competition.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/09/gruden-says-griffin-is-the-starter/
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 47674
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
The guy who convinced the Bengals to draft Dalton over Kaep, partly because he "wasn’t really into the read-option stuff", is now leaving to coach RG3?

Lol.

Didn't Dalton post better numbers than Kaep in the regular season?


I guess it depends on your definition of better.

Dalton:

4,293 yards
61.9% completion (363/586)
7.3 average yards per attempt.
33 Touchdowns
20 Interceptions
1.65 TD:INT
88.8 Rating


Kaepernick:

3,197 yards
58.4% Completion (243/416)
7.7 average yards per attempt
21 Touchdowns
8 Interceptions
2.625 TD:INT
91.6 Rating

So, if by better, you mean yardage and touchdowns, yes. Andy Dalton put up better numbers. If you're looking at efficiency, no. And, you can't deny Kaep's success in the playoffs over 0/3 Dalton.

Regardless of your definition, Wackywabbit's point was completely dismissed in your response. The guy that passed over a read-option quarterback for Dalton, is now going to coach RG3.


That's not really a fair or logical point. Gruden doesn't call the shots in Cincy and they needed a QB that was ready to play immediately. Kaepernick was not seen as that type of QB. Dalton was.

Even if he doesn't like read option QBs, I fail to see how that's a problem. Maybe he'll finally turn RGIII into what he needs to be...a pocket passer with the ability to scramble.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 16795
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruden put the read-option in the playbook this season for Dalton. Worked really well tbh, we just didn't use it a whole lot. We ran some wildcat as well with Sanu. I don't think the problem with Kaep is that he was a read option QB, it was multiple factors. Smaller school, elongated release that would have taken time to fix, plus he was a read-option QB. He was a project and Gruden needed someone week 1. I was a huge Kaep fan out of Nevada but anyone that saw him initially for the 49ers could have told you he wasn't ready.

Gruden's playbook is fairly vast and I think it will be a good fit for RGIII. The key to it though is when you do take your deep shots you have to be accurate. All the bubble screens, read-options, quick outs, reverses, wildcats, etc... are all setup to keep the defense guessing, so when he does call a deep bomb the team will get an advantageous matchup...
_________________
Hokie wrote:
Yall remember that one time Burifict made a tackle and didn't have to leave the game? Good times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of this hire. I think Gruden is a guy with a vast playbook and gets the best out of his talent.

RG3 was notably effected by his ACL last season so with a healthy RG3 and a more pocket passer centered offense with the creative looks Gruden likes to provide, I like the chances of that being an explosive offense.

And it makes sense for Gruden. He's going to a less competitive division. That's a division, the NFCE, where you've got the Eagles with a 'new' coach but the Giants are always up and down (and seemed pretty down this past season) and the Cowboys are always pretty mediocre. So it's a division that you can be competitive in as a fresh coach by just switching a few things up and getting the talent that you think best fits your team.

I don't think this is necessarily a 2 year project to build a playoff contender. They can instantly compete in that division with RG3 and a good draft/FA/player development. Just because they lack a 1st round pick, doesn't mean they're screwed. They'll have high picks in the other rounds to add premium talent.

If the front office handles their side of the bargain, Gruden can get that team to be a playoff contender with good coaching.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Damn. I wanted Cincy to finally have their coordinators poached but it's mostly Zimmer I want out of the division, not Gruden. Cincy upgrade by elevating Hue Jackson into the OC role.

This is a part of the plan. Gruden is gone. Hue Jackson will probably excel for a season and will once again be a hot coaching candidate next season... and with both coordinators scooped up this year from the Bengals (IMO), with this being a copycat league, they'll look to pillage the 2014 Bengals of Jackson.

And I think Zimmer is likely gone this season. I think the issue with him the past few years has been the same issue teams had with Rex Ryan. Ryan also had many years where he excelled but wasn't offered a HC gig because of his brash nature. And Zimmer is a very blunt guy. Being a HC require a certain amount of 'savvy' or 'coach speak'. The HC is a face of the franchise and most owners are going to shy away from HCs that aren't possessed of that savvy no matter how talented a coach they are. It'll take special circumstances to make them cave in on that over another coaching option that's probably similarly regarded, yet does have that savvy they're looking for. And I think Zimmer's time has finally come.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigJohnson


Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 1576
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Being the coach of the Redskins and having a diva like RGMe as your QB, plus having Haslett as your DC is like an instant coaching death sentence. We'll probably be talking in a few years about who the Skins just hired again.


Dude your the biggest redskins troll ever. Stop taking shots at Rg3 and Dan Snyder whenever you get the chance. You honestly have no idea what your talking about its pathetic.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anonymous3


Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 2046
Location: IU
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
I'm starting to think that Gruden will start Cousins over Griffin, seeing as Cousins fits a WCO, whereas the other played his best in a gimmick offense.

don't quit your day job then, thinking you could be a football analyst:


Gruden: “Robert Griffin III is the starter. There will be no competition.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/09/gruden-says-griffin-is-the-starter/

Snyder never never never ever ever never ever .... would've hired someone at HC who would start Cousins over RGIII
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fearsome Fronts


Joined: 01 Jan 2014
Posts: 472
Location: H-Town
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Gruden gets a coaching job anywhere over Zimmerman is beyond me. No knock on Gruden though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 3860
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
I'm starting to think that Gruden will start Cousins over Griffin, seeing as Cousins fits a WCO, whereas the other played his best in a gimmick offense.

don't quit your day job then, thinking you could be a football analyst:


Gruden: “Robert Griffin III is the starter. There will be no competition.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/09/gruden-says-griffin-is-the-starter/

Snyder never never never ever ever never ever .... would've hired someone at HC who would start Cousins over RGIII


As off of a year RG3 had, he put up better numbers than Cousins this year and on most counts by a mile, qb rating, qbr rating, completion %, INT/TD. And that was the case even before Cousin's debacle game against the Giants. So considering as even his biggest critic Shanny said RG3 had the best rookie year of all time, and then subsequently, RG3 still out played Cousins in his off year coming off of major surgery -- I'd have issues if Gruden thought there was a QB competition. Cousins hasn't even been in the ball park of RG3's numbers not to mention skill set.

Any coach who would start Cousins over Griffin next year doesn't belong in the NFL as an HC, so yea, I guess your statement is accurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group