Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans hire Ken Whisenhunt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brodie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
xmichaelp wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
Why is Jim Cadwell getting so much hate? I'm just curious to know. I was happy when I heard the Skin's where interviewing him before they hired Jay.

A 1-15 season tends to create that kind of lack of confidence that you're seeing in this thread.

Wasn't that the year the had no Manning and had to bring Kerry Collins out of retirement?

Well yeah that's the point. Without Manning he did nothing.

Personally I think no coach in the league would have been able to get that team to more than 3-4 wins tops.

Pretty much this. He gets way too much blame for that season. If anyone was to blame it was the GM for not getting a damn back up QB

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
Ataal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sold on Ken as a head coach. 45-51 total record. 27-21 with Kurt Warner. 18-30 without Kurt Warner.

Yes, I know he didn't have the greatest pick of quarterbacks after Kurt left and the front office never gave him any help to fix the offensive line.

He has a good offensive mind and is pretty decent as an in-game strategist.

All that said, he's just underwhelming to me as a head coach. I lived in Phoenix for his entire Cardinals tenure and I felt like he was part of the problem. Too much quarterback musical chairs, for instance. Yes, they all sucked, but some sucked less than others. It was like he was trying to tank the season but the defense wouldn't let him. He was a tight-end coach for years....and then rarely used them in Arizona. What? I don't know, we'll see how he does with his new job. I have no problem being proven wrong. I actually like the guy.

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiz to Lions made sense, since he should be able to turn Stafford into a better QB. With Titans it's a less obvious fit.

"You will never walk again... but you will fly"
“You forget. My father had four sons.”
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Whiz to Lions made sense, since he should be able to turn Stafford into a better QB. With Titans it's a less obvious fit.

There is no guarantee he could turn Stafford around. His success with QBs is also overblown. He did okay, but Ben was notably better AFTER he left. And while Kurt Warner has a resurgence under Whiz, I think it had just as much to do with having Fitz and Boldin to throw to as it did having Whiz as a coach. Rivers had a nice year with him this year, but just like Warner, its not like Rivers was a dud when he got there.

I do think it was a better fit than Tennessee, but maybe he sees something that others dont. Maybe he likes Locker....or just the overall team in Tennessee.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodie wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
xmichaelp wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
Why is Jim Cadwell getting so much hate? I'm just curious to know. I was happy when I heard the Skin's where interviewing him before they hired Jay.

A 1-15 season tends to create that kind of lack of confidence that you're seeing in this thread.

Wasn't that the year the had no Manning and had to bring Kerry Collins out of retirement?

Personally I think no coach in the league would have been able to get that team to more than 3-4 wins tops.

Pretty much this. He gets way too much blame for that season. If anyone was to blame it was the GM for not getting a damn back up QB
That and Caldwell won 2 games not one.

Sig bet
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

There is no guarantee he could turn Stafford around. His success with QBs is also overblown. He did okay, but Ben was notably better AFTER he left. And while Kurt Warner has a resurgence under Whiz, I think it had just as much to do with having Fitz and Boldin to throw to as it did having Whiz as a coach. Rivers had a nice year with him this year, but just like Warner, its not like Rivers was a dud when he got there.

I do think it was a better fit than Tennessee, but maybe he sees something that others dont. Maybe he likes Locker....or just the overall team in Tennessee.

Found an article that points at quite a few things that Tennessee offered that Detroit didn't.

1. Longer, fully guaranteed contract.
2. More money. $1 million more per year
3. Larger say in personnel decisions.
4. Preferred 3-4 over 4-3.
5. Lions have so much of their salary cap tied up in CJ, Stafford, and Suh.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/01/titans_offered_ken_whisenhunt.html

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
Liquid#18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
Brodie wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
xmichaelp wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:

That and Caldwell won 2 games not one.

I worship the man for gifting us Luck Laughing

Props to coltsbrotha
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Found an article that points at quite a few things that Tennessee offered that Detroit didn't.

Also been stated that Nashville is a better place to live. Plus he's familiar with the area after coaching at Vandy. Lions finished with the same record as the Titans so let's not act like the Lions were some superior team when they really weren't. Plus Wiz apparently is very high on Titans GM Ruston Webster.
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Also been stated that Nashville is a better place to live. Plus he's familiar with the area after coaching at Vandy. Lions finished with the same record as the Titans so let's not act like the Lions were some superior team when they really weren't. Plus Wiz apparently is very high on Titans GM Ruston Webster.

Yeah I would much rather live in Nashville then Detroit. Less crime, better weather, better food, you're close to a lot of destinations for travel, and best of all, no state income tax.

No state income tax would be huge in my decision making if I was the Whisenhunt family. A coach's contract is guaranteed. So if he is guaranteed a few million for a few years no matter what happens, then even if they were for the same amount of time and money the lack of taxes helps you.

I did a cost of living comparison, a contract worth $3,665,027.79 a year would get you the same amount of stuff with $4 million in Detroit. So that means on a $4 million a year (I don't know the actual numbers, just an example), you would actually have almost $350k extra a year.

So then you throw in the extra million a year and a bonus year, and it would be stupid for him not to pick the Titans job over Detroit, completely disregarding the football aspect.

It would take the perfect situation, like when Tomlin took over for Cowher, for anyone to want the Detroit job over the Tennessee one unless there were extenuating circumstances like family is from Detroit or some crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has Whiz specified if he's going to switch to a 3-4 or not yet? I know he prefers it.

nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Caldwell getting routinely out coached should be fun to watch.

So it'll be just like Schwartz. Only calm. With a possibility of a somewhat competent OC coming to town.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
So has Whiz specified if he's going to switch to a 3-4 or not yet? I know he prefers it.

Sounds like we're going to run a hybrid defense. Whiz pretty much said (paraphrasing here) that he doesn't want to be strictly a 4-3 or 3-4 defense and the more looks you can throw at an offense the better. He did say we won't be running the 2 gap 3-4 defense.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withmy89vision wrote:
Yeah I would much rather live in Nashville then Detroit. Less crime, better weather, better food, you're close to a lot of destinations for travel, and best of all, no state income tax.

Detroit is kind of a strange place to try to generalize.

Less crime? Not really. If you're rich you'll probably live in a rich area regardless of what city you're near. High income areas typically have extremely low crime rates, and the high income suburbs of Detroit are no exception.
Better food? Blasphemy. Nothing compares to National Coney Island. Laughing

I didn't know that Tennessee had no income tax. Wealthy residents of Detroit have an incredibly high tax burden. Incredibly high.

I can't imagine very many football-related reasons Whiz chose the Titans over the Lions. I can imagine plenty of possible reasons he chose Tennessee over Michigan.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Sounds like we're going to run a hybrid defense. Whiz pretty much said (paraphrasing here) that he doesn't want to be strictly a 4-3 or 3-4 defense and the more looks you can throw at an offense the better. He did say we won't be running the 2 gap 3-4 defense.

Not surprising, practically every defense is not strictly a 4-3 or 3-4. I would still assume that your "base" defense would be a 3-4, though that doesn't necessarily mean you'd run it the most, especially if you were to hire Horton, during his time in Arizona he liked dime packages. Not sure what he's done in Cleveland to be honest.

I've always loved Whiz, and while I didn't like the hire at first, mainly because I didn't think he fit, I've started to really like it. I think (and hope for Titans fans sake) that Whiz learned from his mistakes the first time around and he does a better job.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Not surprising, practically every defense is not strictly a 4-3 or 3-4. I would still assume that your "base" defense would be a 3-4, though that doesn't necessarily mean you'd run it the most, especially if you were to hire Horton, during his time in Arizona he liked dime packages. Not sure what he's done in Cleveland to be honest.

I've always loved Whiz, and while I didn't like the hire at first, mainly because I didn't think he fit, I've started to really like it. I think (and hope for Titans fans sake) that Whiz learned from his mistakes the first time around and he does a better job.

I am wondering what options Whisenhunt has in mind for his defensive coordinator? I am not sure of the status of Ray Horton in Cleveland, but if he is free to be hired by another team considering the current situation in Cleveland, I would think he would be a very good choice. I am also wondering about Winston Moss who is the current inside linebackers coach for the Green Bay Packers. I don't know if he is DC in waiting for the Packers or what, but he might be a nice fit as well. Maybe even Green Bay outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, Whisenhunt and Greene have the Pittsburgh connection.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: