Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions hire Jim Caldwell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmichaelp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all coming together.

Cool
Falastine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the hires this year have been outright laughable. Very little sense of direction and continuity, and some hires have been nothing more than lateral moves just for the sake of change.

Ken Whisenhunt is the only hire I somewhat understand, but we'll see.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falastine wrote:
Most of the hires this year have been outright laughable. Very little sense of direction and continuity, and some hires have been nothing more than lateral moves just for the sake of change.

Lovie Smith made a lot of sense for Tampa.

Bill O'Brien has a strong background and was a deserving candidate.

The Vikings have yet to make a hire, but their top 3 are all qualified coaches (Zimmer, Bowles and Roman).

As for the Browns, it seems they will be left settling for whatever coaches want to be a head coach but no one else truly wants. Someone who is underqualified but desperate like Darrell Bevell or Adam Gase.

I am not a fan of some of the other hires.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an absolutely terrible hire.

52 - 85 as a HC.

28 - 77 w/o Manning as his QB

1 winning season in 8 years at Wake Forest, no sign of improvement (Jim Grobe ended up winning the ACC a few years later and posted a FAR superior record)

His offense ranked 29th last year

He didn't improve his Indy team at all, inheriting a SB team, then winning 14 (incredible), then losing 4 more the next year and only winning 10 (not good), then winning 2- sure, without Manning, but 2!, the team won the SB a few years earlier.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he doesn't make the playoffs, him and Mayhew are gone.

Which mean CJ is gone- he's not going to sit through another re-build, Suh is gone, Stafford is gone.

I see this getting a lot worse than better.

please prove me wrong.
Falastine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Falastine wrote:

The Vikings have yet to make a hire, but their top 3 are all qualified coaches (Zimmer, Bowles and Roman).

As for the Browns, it seems they will be left settling for whatever coaches want to be a head coach but no one else truly wants. Someone who is underqualified but desperate like Darrell Bevell or Adam Gase.

Not a fan of Love Smith's work, even IF he took a Rex Grossman-led team to the Superbowl. His teams were far too inconsistent and undisciplined, and offense has always been a huge problem for him.

Bill O'Brien has absolutely no legitimate track record in the pros. His biggest sell as a HC is the job he did getting the Penn St. program back on track, but there's absolutely no guarantee that type of approach will work in the NFL. It COULD work, obviously, but he's not a guy I have full confidence in from the outside.

For the Vikings, Greg Roman makes a lot of sense. Tremendous at designing blocking and running schemes. Tends to be a bit of a bi-polar play-caller, but he's definitely the best out of the candidates you mentioned. Bowles and Zimmer are also MEH.

EDIT: Now that I think about, there weren't a lot of inspiring candidates in the first place. Love me some Greg Roman. Ken Whisenhunt is a solid hire, IMO. I also would've inquired about a couple of guys from college, namely David Shaw, to see what they could bring to the table.
andjordand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theTHETAN wrote:
I think this is an absolutely terrible hire.

52 - 85 as a HC.

28 - 77 w/o Manning as his QB

1 winning season in 8 years at Wake Forest, no sign of improvement (Jim Grobe ended up winning the ACC a few years later and posted a FAR superior record)

His offense ranked 29th last year

He didn't improve his Indy team at all, inheriting a SB team, then winning 14 (incredible), then losing 4 more the next year and only winning 10 (not good), then winning 2- sure, without Manning, but 2!, the team won the SB a few years earlier.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he doesn't make the playoffs, him and Mayhew are gone.

Which mean CJ is gone- he's not going to sit through another re-build, Suh is gone, Stafford is gone.

I see this getting a lot worse than better.

please prove me wrong.

Quit with the sky is falling act. Megatron is signed through 2018, Stafford through 2017. With the franchise tag, Suh won't be able to leave until 2016. Unless any of them take a page out of the book of Barry sanders biography, they're not going anywhere. You got one thing right though, if Caldwell flames out as head coach, Mayhew wil be soon to follow.
DawgX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Falastine wrote:

Adam Gase is supposedly highly respected around the league, so hiring him might not be a bad decision. It's hard to tell how good of a coordinator he is since he has Manning as his QB, but he still very well could be a good head coach. If the Browns hire Gase, I might not love the hiring but I certainly wouldn't hate it.

My top choice is Malzahn, but that's not gonna happen. The only other realistic candidate I like is Dan Quinn. Besides him, Gase is probably the next best option.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
He is hiring quality assistants (at least rumored to be hiring).

Bill Lazor and Teryl Austin are very respected by other coaches. Those are the rumored Coordinators.

Teryl Austin did pretty terribly as DC at UF.

They lost a lot of talent the year before though: Joe Haden, Carlos Dunlap, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Major Wright. That's a lot of NFL talent lost in one draft...

And that's still the only DC experience he has. Plus, they still had talent.

Fair point. I'm a fan of his work as the Ravens secondary coach though. Got Cary Williams to look pretty good, which isn't easy... Laughing

Got James Ihedigbo and Corey Graham to look good too.

Jimmy Smith is finally looking like the CB that the Ravens thought they were getting, Matt Elam has progressed nicely in his first year. And Lardarius Webb would be one of the top three or four CBs in the league if not for his injuries.

Teryl Austin has done a fantastic job with these guys.

I think some Austin is taking some of the credit that rightfully belongs to Chuck Pagano.

Let's not act like Austin was the guy who built up Cary Williams or Lardarius Webb. That credit belongs to Pagano. Same with Pollard's 1st year in our scheme. And Ed Reed's role change. These are things Pagano brought to the table.

Matt Elam has gotten better as the season progressed and Jimmy Smith has gotten better as well. And I'll give Austin credit for that. Same with Graham (as you mentioned) and Ihedigbo. But the other improvements mentioned in this thread... that was under Pagano's watch.. and IMO he still made the much bigger impact to our secondary anyway. Pagano did more with less. Austin has done a lot, but he's also done it with a lot. He's done it with Jimmy Smith (1st rd), Matt Elam (1st), and two veterans mixed in. It's not like he made a secondary of Josh Wilson, Chris Carr, Frank Walker, etc. look top 15- like Pagano.

For my money, I'm much more impressed with the job that has been done by Ted Monachino. If there is a guy that we promote over Pees, I want it to be him. And beyond that I would go with our long time DL coach, Clarence Brooks. I trust both more as guys that develop talent than Austin.
================================

In terms of the hiring of Caldwell. I like it for Detroit. Obviously, it's not ideal. But Caldwell comes from winning organizations, so he's going to have the respect of the players (or he should). And while he didn't excel as the Ravens OC, some of that was circumstantial. His main design was on improving the route variance of the receivers and earlier in the season, I thought he did a great job with mixing up the route combinations. It wasn't until later on in the season where things seemed to resort back to the Cam Cameron-esq designs.

The OL, wasn't really Caldwell's responsibility. We had both Moeller (OL coach- in title) and Juan Castillo (OL coach- in function) running that kitchen.

All the failure of our OL really speaks to is the fact that, like Harbaugh or Marvin Lewis, Caldwell is going to be more of an executive type of HC that trusts his coordinators to do their jobs.

And my above tangent aside, I do think Austin IS qualified of an opportunity to be a DC and has shown enough coaching prowess to believe he could be a quality coordinator.

Caldwell seems to have done a very good job with making coaching alliances in the NFL under multiple staffs, he's well liked around the league and I think that's an underrated quality. Good coaches are going to want to coach under Caldwell because he's not a tool and because he's a great teacher.

The trait Caldwell lacks is the ability to motivate men... and that's something that I think he'll need in his coordinators. But motivation grows stale. Motivational coaches, like Brian Billick, have thrived off motivating their players and then failed once that message grew stale. I prefer the coordinators to be your "motivation" guys while your HC stays grounded. You can more easily replace your coordinators.

What Caldwell brings to the table is being a very good football instructor. Guys are going to respect his knowledge of the game and he's going to excel at teaching guys techniques to make them "that" much better.

He's not a perfect candidate, not even the ideal candidate. But this notion that somehow he should be defined by that stint of HCing under an utterly flawed Indy team that crapped the bed is ludicrous. The offseason preparation was with Peyton Manning in mind... and he wasn't given even a quality veteran backup QB until far too late in the process for it to matter. And he's not a motivator of men and he didn't have that on his staff. A guy like Terryl Austin presents that quality this time around. So Caldwell should be allowed to have success in what his strengths allow.

His time management will improve as a HC, like it does for all of them. And he'll build up the talent on that team. And he'll be an anchor for that team to rely on to settle them down in key situations. IMO, Caldwell is definitely a quality hire.
You have no idea how much better I feel about this hire after reading this post Laughing

R.I.P. Stylish
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falastine wrote:

I feel this way as well. Seems like the FO's were just getting rid of their coaches to make a statement without thinking about the fact that they weren't going to get a better coach after the fact. It's not just this situation either, I think the Browns are going down the same road.

Only situation I think worked this offseason was Lovie to TB. Whisenhunt in at Tennessee makes sense, though I think it may be more of a lateral move than most people will acknowledge at this point, but the rest of the moves were lateral at best, downgrades at worst.
DawgX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really don't like this hire for Detroit. Maybe Caldwell gets a little too much criticism, but regardless as to if that's true or not, this still is not a good hire. It really sucks for Lions fans that they could have had Whisenhunt, who would have been a good fit with Stafford, and instead they end up with Caldwell.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

In terms of the hiring of Caldwell. I like it for Detroit. Obviously, it's not ideal. But Caldwell comes from winning organizations, so he's going to have the respect of the players (or he should). And while he didn't excel as the Ravens OC, some of that was circumstantial. His main design was on improving the route variance of the receivers and earlier in the season, I thought he did a great job with mixing up the route combinations. It wasn't until later on in the season where things seemed to resort back to the Cam Cameron-esq designs.

The OL, wasn't really Caldwell's responsibility. We had both Moeller (OL coach- in title) and Juan Castillo (OL coach- in function) running that kitchen.

All the failure of our OL really speaks to is the fact that, like Harbaugh or Marvin Lewis, Caldwell is going to be more of an executive type of HC that trusts his coordinators to do their jobs.

And my above tangent aside, I do think Austin IS qualified of an opportunity to be a DC and has shown enough coaching prowess to believe he could be a quality coordinator.

Caldwell seems to have done a very good job with making coaching alliances in the NFL under multiple staffs, he's well liked around the league and I think that's an underrated quality. Good coaches are going to want to coach under Caldwell because he's not a tool and because he's a great teacher.

The trait Caldwell lacks is the ability to motivate men... and that's something that I think he'll need in his coordinators. But motivation grows stale. Motivational coaches, like Brian Billick, have thrived off motivating their players and then failed once that message grew stale. I prefer the coordinators to be your "motivation" guys while your HC stays grounded. You can more easily replace your coordinators.

What Caldwell brings to the table is being a very good football instructor. Guys are going to respect his knowledge of the game and he's going to excel at teaching guys techniques to make them "that" much better.

He's not a perfect candidate, not even the ideal candidate. But this notion that somehow he should be defined by that stint of HCing under an utterly flawed Indy team that crapped the bed is ludicrous. The offseason preparation was with Peyton Manning in mind... and he wasn't given even a quality veteran backup QB until far too late in the process for it to matter. And he's not a motivator of men and he didn't have that on his staff. A guy like Terryl Austin presents that quality this time around. So Caldwell should be allowed to have success in what his strengths allow.

His time management will improve as a HC, like it does for all of them. And he'll build up the talent on that team. And he'll be an anchor for that team to rely on to settle them down in key situations. IMO, Caldwell is definitely a quality hire.
You have no idea how much better I feel about this hire after reading this post Laughing

Yeah. And one thing I left out here was that in TRYING to fix the run game, Caldwell did switch our main offensive set from singleback or shotgun formations, to running mostly out of the pistol. While the shotgun gave Flacco a better view of the field in passing situations, it became very obvious for the defense to realize passing set and play it accordingly.

And the singleback set didn't present Flacco with enough time to drop back due to our horrid OL. That and Flacco has always been more comfortable reading defenses pre-snap from shotgun.. thus he was more comfortable making pre-snap changes in that set.

Caldwell switched mid-season to having us operate out of the pistol as our base formation because of the balance the formation presents for passing and running. Again, our OL was horrible enough for the effects to be nothing more than marginal benefit... but the fact that Caldwell was willing to make such a big change in base formation shows his willingness to see an issue and try and work toward a positive solution... and to take risks.

Cameron would've idled by and considered the players to be flaws to HIS system. Caldwell wasn't aligned to such hubris. He made a risk in switching base formations and the change didn't effect him on any deep level. We ran it a little bit one game, a little more in another, and then were running out of it almost exclusively by seasons end.

Many people want flexible coaching... and I think Caldwell brings that to the table.

Obviously, I can't say he will succeed or he won't. But I certainly don't think he's this horrible hire like most people here are stating. Heck, I never thought Flacco was capable of having anything better than below average pocket presence because he was terrible in that regard, the fact that Caldwell improved that to where Flacco has looked like Big Ben in the pocket for most the season will be enough to make me a fan of his and wish him well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
He is hiring quality assistants (at least rumored to be hiring).

Bill Lazor and Teryl Austin are very respected by other coaches. Those are the rumored Coordinators.

Teryl Austin did pretty terribly as DC at UF.

Maybe, but he did a super job with the Ravens secondary. Ravens fans will not be happy to see him leave.
GFalcon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwartz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>caldwell

mack. ^
Justin Upton Stat Tracker: 12 HR 18 RBI .302 BA
Proud Air Traffic Control Student In Training!
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are holding a 10 win season against Caldwell!?

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
LikesHAM wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
What other QB's has Caldwell worked with for him to be called a QB guru? My grandma could have been Manning's QB coach and he would still be just as great. Then in his first full year as the Ravens OC, Flacco turns in his worst season as a pro. Not really seeing a QB guru.

Couldn't the same have been said for Mike McCarthy when he was hired?

And is he really all that good ? Packers weren't that good after Rodgers went down
2-2-1 with Matt Flynn. Exceeded my expectations that's for sure. Especially for a team built around the QB.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: