Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions hire Jim Caldwell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

Many people want flexible coaching... and I think Caldwell brings that to the table.

If this is true then it's great news. My biggest issue with Schwartz and company is that they just kept doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over again and never adjusted to the game situation, score, players being out with injuries, etc.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty ambivalent about this right now. As a HC he's a pretty good fit for what we need... But I don't think he's going to make or break us in anyway. It's a safe hire with no dynamic potential, good or bad.

Our coordinators are going to be FAR more important.

Without getting into fixing personnel issues...

Offense; Stafford's development and less predictable playcalling are paramount.

Defense; self control and a scheme that allows us to hide our porous secondary while still stopping the run are key. We were actually pretty good about the latter last year... Mostly because we have a solid line and almost exclusively rushed 4. We didn't get a ton of pressure on opposing QBs for that reason.

If Caldwell brings in a staff that can accomplish those things I'll be ecstatic about the hire. If he doesn't I'll chalk it up to the Ford family making yet another terrible decision that'll cost the fans for 4+ more years.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Many people want flexible coaching... and I think Caldwell brings that to the table.

If this is true then it's great news. My biggest issue with Schwartz and company is that they just kept doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over again and never adjusted to the game situation, score, players being out with injuries, etc.

I put that almost entirely on Linehan. Schwartz was equally stubborn, but it didn't cost us nearly as much. Gunny actually adjusted. The defense improved year to year.

Our offensive system was pathetic despite the fantastic job Washburn did with the O-line.

Basically Gunny was fine, Schwartz was bad, and Linnehan was by far the worst.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I just noticed...

Isn't Teryl Austin a 3-4 coach? It's been reported that one of the main reason Whiz didn't go to Detroit was because they didn't want to run a 3-4.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Austin's past, but he is currently a Ravens coach, and since they run a 3-4...

nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, just throwing this out there...

Do people really think Baltimore's offensive struggles were Caldwell's fault? I'm certainly not saying that he did a great job... But did we expect him to run a successful offense with that o-line? With Rice losing all of his skill and athleticism AND having to play through injury? With Flacco playing hurt, having no reliable targets, and finishing the season with the 2nd most sacks taken?

Caldwell obviously shouldn't be given praise for being carried to a SB by Manning, but he also shouldn't be trashed for his final seasons in Indy and Balt.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:

Isn't Teryl Austin a 3-4 coach? It's been reported that one of the main reason Whiz didn't go to Detroit was because they didn't want to run a 3-4.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Austin's past, but he is currently a Ravens coach, and since they run a 3-4...

We don't truly run a 3-4, we run a hybrid.

That said, as a secondary coach, he was never really concerned about what alignment the front 7 was in Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this turns out to be a great hire to show all these experts on here that they actually don't know that much.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a sexy hire at all. Hopefully he can bring some discipline to this team. They have a lot of pieces in place, I've always rooted for the Lions, I hope Caldwell can turn things away around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question alot of these new hires.
I don't think Caldwell is a good hire for DET.

I liked:
Lovie to TB since I think its a good fit
Whisenhunt to TEN is fair
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

We don't truly run a 3-4, we run a hybrid.

That said, as a secondary coach, he was never really concerned about what alignment the front 7 was in Wink

Yep. The Ravens base defense is more reminiscent of the 4-3 than 3-4 defense. They just use 3-4 personnel. Kind of like Seattle's 4-3 Over/Under defense.

When the Ravens go to nickel and other sub-packages is when you see more 3-4 specific formations.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think Detroits defense is perfectly built for the 4-3 under. Both Suh and Fairley will get opportunities to play in the three and five techniques, I would assume in a one gap scheme. Ansah wound play at DE like Aldon Smith or Terrell Suggs. If they draft Khalil Mack to play SLB they would have a nasty front seven, potentially. They still might need a nose tackle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
I hope this turns out to be a great hire to show all these experts on here that they actually don't know that much.
I hope this turns out to be a great hire for different reasons. I hope its a better run than Bill Belichick in his second stint as Head Coach. Simply because I don't want to suffer as a Lions fan anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope he brings in the right guys at coordinator and can develop Stafford into a consistently elite player. Making Stafford consistent and stopping turnovers would be huge for this team.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:

He worked in secondary where alignment doesn't matter (see Flacco's post). But he ran a 4-3 at UF when he was DC.

Sig bet
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nd @mortreport reports, Miami Dolphins have hired Eagles quarterback coach Bill Lazor as their new offensive coordinator.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/423483655428644864

looks like Lazor isn't coming to the motor city
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
Must be nice sitting up there on your high horse. Rolling Eyes

Kempes on the custom sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: