Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers, QB Colin Kaepernick reach a 6-year, $126M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yahtzee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will guarantee that Luck and Wilson will have bigger contracts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
Kapernick really is an idiot let's say he gets hurt and a young player is decent. he'd get cut and receive like no money outta his big contract..... Rolling Eyes

If he actually signed for those real numbers he would have been blasted for being greedy. There's just no way to win Laughing

Sure there is. He could've signed a normal contract that's similar to every other QB out there, instead of one with an extremely high AAV if every incentive is reached but also with unheard-of flexibility to be cut.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahtzee wrote:
I will guarantee that Luck and Wilson will have bigger contracts.

Better players will make more money?

That IS a bold prediction!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I think everyone can agree this contract is way to large for Colin Kaepernick, as he is NOW. But no one can deny the sheer physical tools he possesses - if he can polish his skills, he'd be worth this contract, which is what the 49ers are banking on, I'd wager. Regardless, the 49ers pretty much had to get a deal done... franchise QBs are a rare NFL commodity, a team cannot simply let one walk.

Just imagine if Solyndra was paid like this contract. Not for your peformance, but what you could be.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Big Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9ers have been making moves with this signing in mind...Lattimore, Hyde, Carradine, Thomas etc Gore, Iupati, Smith are gone after this season...main questions are is Kaepernick going to continue to improve, will the 9ers successfully replace key vets let go?
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
I think everyone can agree this contract is way to large for Colin Kaepernick, as he is NOW. But no one can deny the sheer physical tools he possesses - if he can polish his skills, he'd be worth this contract, which is what the 49ers are banking on, I'd wager. Regardless, the 49ers pretty much had to get a deal done... franchise QBs are a rare NFL commodity, a team cannot simply let one walk.

Just imagine if Solyndra was paid like this contract. Not for your peformance, but what you could be.

Well let's not pretend Kapernick's production has been bad the last two seasons... he's played like an above average QB, and there is no way they would improve the position in FA or the draft anytime soon, so its not solely on his potential.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Burial

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overpaid
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfundle wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
Kapernick really is an idiot let's say he gets hurt and a young player is decent. he'd get cut and receive like no money outta his big contract..... Rolling Eyes

If he actually signed for those real numbers he would have been blasted for being greedy. There's just no way to win Laughing

Sure there is. He could've signed a normal contract that's similar to every other QB out there, instead of one with an extremely high AAV if every incentive is reached but also with unheard-of flexibility to be cut.

Whats normal? Because 6 years/110 million is $18 million a year (what Cutler and Romo got, the "new normal" for QB's), and he was getting blasted for that. Even his "guaranteed" money of $61 million was only $7 million more than Cutler's deal

Even if he signed a below market contract for say, 14-15 million...he'd be giving up $3 million a year over 7 years. And then he'd be the one losing upto $21 million. At least with this deal, he can stop $2M from de-escalating by reaching performance goals, so he still has a chance to earn that money.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Perfundle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Whats normal? Because 6 years/110 million is $18 million a year (what Cutler and Romo got, the "new normal" for QB's), and he was getting blasted for that.

There would be people blasting his contract no matter what, but had his contract been initially reported as $18 million AAV and $13 million guaranteed there would've been far less initial outcry than the actual $21 million and $61 million.

Quote:
Even his "guaranteed" money of $61 million was only $7 million more than Cutler's deal

He got more "guaranteed" than a deal that is currently held up as one of the worst deals in the NFL and that makes it better?

Quote:
Even if he signed a below market contract for say, 14-15 million...he'd be giving up $3 million a year over 7 years. And then he'd be the one losing upto $21 million. At least with this deal, he can stop $2M from de-escalating by reaching performance goals, so he still has a chance to earn that money.

You're still ignoring the ease to which he can be cut. That, and the injury insurance he is required to purchase, is why people are saying he got ripped off.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfundle wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
Whats normal? Because 6 years/110 million is $18 million a year (what Cutler and Romo got, the "new normal" for QB's), and he was getting blasted for that.

There would be people blasting his contract no matter what, but had his contract been initially reported as $18 million AAV and $13 million guaranteed there would've been far less initial outcry than the actual $21 million and $61 million.

Quote:
Even his "guaranteed" money of $61 million was only $7 million more than Cutler's deal

He got more "guaranteed" than a deal that is currently held up as one of the worst deals in the NFL and that makes it better?

Quote:

You're still ignoring the ease to which he can be cut. That, and the injury insurance he is required to purchase, is why people are saying he got ripped off.

To me, that's the crux of the issue. Just about every big dollar contract has a ton of criticism.

Cutler's deal was bad, but every semi decent QB is going to work on those parameters now.

I wouldn't have taken the deal if i was Kaep. But he can't come out a winner. The first half of this thread is that he's overpaid, second half is he's an idiot. I don't think there's a fine line and that was my main point...
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
baconrad3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the contract is very team friendly for San Fran.

But I still would never give him that kind of money. Out of the up and coming qbs (Wilson, Luck, Cam, Foles, Kaepernick, RGIII), the only guy I think Kaep is superior to is Griffin. The rest are ahead of him and will be better down the road. SO itll be interesting to see what they get now.

Cam will get paid some monster, insane deal. Wilson will likely get a huge deal but not quite AS big as Cam's. Luck will get a ton of money because he is all Indy has. And Foles.....I hope to christ we resign him in 2015. The dude is a stud.

I mean look at Foles vs Kaep in the past two seasons (Foles had 18 starts and Kaep had 24 IIRC)

Foles: 4,590 yds 33 tds 7 ints 62.5% 7.89 ypa

Kaep: 5,046 yds 31 tds 11 ints 59.8% 7.90 ypa

mmmm Ill take Nicky Foles

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
green24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

But I still would never give him that kind of money. Out of the up and coming qbs (Wilson, Luck, Cam, Foles, Kaepernick, RGIII), the only guy I think Kaep is superior to is Griffin. The rest are ahead of him and will be better down the road. SO itll be interesting to see what they get now.

Cam will get paid some monster, insane deal. Wilson will likely get a huge deal but not quite AS big as Cam's. Luck will get a ton of money because he is all Indy has. And Foles.....I hope to christ we resign him in 2015. The dude is a stud.

I mean look at Foles vs Kaep in the past two seasons (Foles had 18 starts and Kaep had 24 IIRC)

I think Kaep is better than Ryan Tannehill too.
49erurtaza

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

He also rushed for 939 yards and 9 touchdowns that's not counting playoff stats where he excels

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaep also is reported to have to buy his own insurance to pay the team if he gets injured. He has to pour in over $1.5M after tax dollars to pay this insurance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49erurtaza wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

He also rushed for 939 yards and 9 touchdowns that's not counting playoff stats where he excels

Right! Out of all the non-elite QBs that have gotten these monster deals Kaepernick is easily the most deserving and there is actually a real probably that he gets even better than he is right now. He's not some 30 year old Jay Cutler or Alex Smith who are who they are and have nowhere else to go but down. He's a legit good QB who's had some struggles in the time that he's played like ever young QB in the history of the NFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: