Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign former Bears, Panthers LB James Anderson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Patriots sign former Bears, Panthers LB James Anderson Reply with quote

Quote:
#Patriots sign veteran LB James Anderson & release WR Mark Harrison

https://twitter.com/PATRIOTSdotCOM/status/474298835872002048

Great depth move, Anderson has been a full time starter each of the past 5 seasons for the Panthers and Bears, playing in 76 games and recording 515 tackles, 10 sacks and 3 INTs during that time.

Anderson led the Bears in tackles last season with 102 and added 4 sacks.

The move was much needed for the Patriots who were lacking depth at the position.

Tom Brady Tribute
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how he played last year, but if it was anything like he played for us the pats gotva really nice player who will provide solid depth at any linebacker position. We loved the guy.

Nothing spectacular. Just a rock solid asset.

CK on the sig
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
I don't know how he played last year, but if it was anything like he played for us the pats gotva really nice player who will provide solid depth at any linebacker position. We loved the guy.

The rare former team fan base compliment for a free-agent signing... great, thanks for that.
Tom Brady Tribute
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:

He didnt play well last year.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Granted I didn't see a single Bears game last year, so all I can do is box-score argue with you, but he had 102 tackles and 4 sacks. I wouldn't say that's "not well". Can you give a more specific assessment? I don't know much about him other than he seemed to be pretty solid early in his career.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Granted I didn't see a single Bears game last year, so all I can do is box-score argue with you, but he had 102 tackles and 4 sacks. I wouldn't say that's "not well". Can you give a more specific assessment? I don't know much about him other than he seemed to be pretty solid early in his career.

Well I'll just add this in too...our defensive line was terrible last year. But he had a really problem shedding blocks and making plays in the run game. Coverage wasnt the issue. He didnt play anywhere near well enough to garner a new contract. Going with either Bostic or Shea at SLB.

Chris Conte gathered up 90 tackles and 3 picks this year. But that doesnt reflect at all how he played last year.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge fan of Anderson during his time here in Carolina and it was a bit of a head scratcher when the Panthers let him walk. He'll be an asset to the Pats and provide soild play at just about any LB'er spot on the field. Good luck, James!
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Well I'll just add this in too...our defensive line was terrible last year. But he had a really problem shedding blocks and making plays in the run game. Coverage wasnt the issue. He didnt play anywhere near well enough to garner a new contract. Going with either Bostic or Shea at SLB.

Chris Conte gathered up 90 tackles and 3 picks this year. But that doesnt reflect at all how he played last year.

That's good to hear, as I doubt he'll be asked to play the run too much, and will probably be used mostly in sub on passing downs because of his athleticism.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If his performance against the Packers is anything to go by, he was one of the worst every down players in the league. He was awful in his fills. Now admittedly the Bears Dline was also horrific, but Anderson was plenty bad on his own.
coors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when healthy, I personally think Anderson is an "underrated" linebacker to people that aren't Bears fans, or Panthers fans or maybe fans of a team in the NFC South that had to go up againtst the Panthers and him a couple times a year for multiple years before that past season where he just played in Chicago. Just looked it up and it seems like Anderson had a pretty damn good season last year in Chicago.. I personally would haven't minded him to come back to the NFC South and play for us in Atlanta, but seems as if we have other priorities before it would come to a LB.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriots have been trying to find a true hybrid safety/linebacker type since Victor Green in 2002 with the big nickel attempt that flopped. If this guy is only mildly bad at the run taking out at least your average receiving TE in all phases he'll be a good buy for the Patriots. Jerod Mayo and/or Jamie Collins have done quite a bit of it and their skills could be better utilized.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
when healthy, I personally think Anderson is an "underrated" linebacker to people that aren't Bears fans, or Panthers fans or maybe fans of a team in the NFC South that had to go up againtst the Panthers and him a couple times a year for multiple years before that past season where he just played in Chicago. Just looked it up and it seems like Anderson had a pretty damn good season last year in Chicago.. I personally would haven't minded him to come back to the NFC South and play for us in Atlanta, but seems as if we have other priorities before it would come to a LB.

Tackle stats don't tell you much about how a LB played. As noted above by people who watched him play, he sucked mightily against the run last season, although he was placed in a difficult position at times playing next to and in front of subpar/rookie talent. It's not a coincidence that he was the only 16 game starter at LB for a run defense that was one of the worst in recent history, and wasn't brought back for a team without proven talent at the position besides Lance Briggs and an injury prone DJ Williams. He was solid in coverage though IMO for around the first half of the season but seemed to trail off in that department. If he's being used in subpackages and such I think this is a solid pickup.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Tackle stats don't tell you much about how a LB played.
Didn't see much of Anderson but I can say being a Colt's fan we have had, over the years in the Cover 2, many LBers with near 100 tackle seasons where most of those tackles were not only past the line of scrimmage but more like after a 5-7 yard gain.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:
Tackle stats don't tell you much about how a LB played.
Didn't see much of Anderson but I can say being a Colt's fan we have had, over the years in the Cover 2, many LBers with near 100 tackle seasons where most of those tackles were not only past the line of scrimmage but more like after a 5-7 yard gain.

The Bears also saw 483 rushing attempts last year, 3rd most in the league. Safeties Wright and Conte also had a combined 191 tackles last season, but all that tells you is that there were a lot of running backs getting to the third level. If you just glanced at tackle stats, you'd think Wright and Conte had really good seasons, but they were horrible.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great depth signing... no matter how you feel about Anderson as a starter, he should be a fantastic depth / rotation player.

Mad

Nacho Simulation Football League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: