Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jacksonville replacing 9500 seats with pools/cabanas
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Jacksonville replacing 9500 seats with pools/cabanas Reply with quote

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11055495/jacksonville-jaguars-poolside-cabanas-stadium

Quote:
The team has taken out 9,500 seats in the north end zone and is replacing them with a two-level party deck that includes two pools and 16 cabanas complete with plush furniture.

So essentially Jacksonville is removing 9500 seats to go party mode in one of their end zones. I honestly am not a fan of this move. We've seen this in other sports a bit and it has had some mixed success overall. In KC at the Royals ballpark there is a party deck for example. However the main reason teams tend to do this, is when the product on the field isn't good enough. It's a desperation move for attendance. That's certainly been the case for the Royals and some other MLB teams but the NFL hasn't had this SUSTAINED kind of problem. The overall product, regardless of team, has been that good when it comes to the NFL and is always capable of a quick turn around preventing enduring long time suffering since the salary cap era.

Jacksonville just had a pretty exciting draft I would think for that fan base. I'd think that product is worth viewing. This move is the wrong direction IMO.

What say you Jags fans? What say you NFL fans?

Last edited by Arrowhead86 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a smart move. I used to sell beer in that stadium and the amount of seats that were empty/tarp-ed off created a ton of just wasted space. Glad they are doing something with that now.

It's a move in the right direction...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of annoys me cuz this was announced, with released concepts, a year ago

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacksonville replacing seats with pools/cabanas Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11055495/jacksonville-jaguars-poolside-cabanas-stadium

Quote:
The team has taken out 9,500 seats in the north end zone and is replacing them with a two-level party deck that includes two pools and 16 cabanas complete with plush furniture.

So essentially Jacksonville is removing 9500 seats to go party mode in one of their end zones. I honestly am not a fan of this move. We've seen this in other sports a bit and it has had some mixed success overall. In KC at the Royals ballpark there is a party deck for example. However the main reason teams tend to do this, is when the product on the field isn't good enough. It's a desperation move for attendance. That's certainly been the case for the Royals and some other MLB teams but the NFL hasn't had this SUSTAINED kind of problem. The overall product, regardless of team, has been that good when it comes to the NFL and is always capable of a quick turn around preventing enduring long time suffering since the salary cap era.

Jacksonville just had a pretty exciting draft I would think for that fan base. I'd think that product is worth viewing. This move is the wrong direction IMO.

Oh, addressing what you're actually saying

Capacity with tarps: ~67,000
Capacity without tarps: ~76,000

The ~9,000 seats weren't being used anyway.

ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh wouldn't it be too cold for the pools most of the year?

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
I think it's a smart move. I used to sell beer in that stadium and the amount of seats that were empty/tarp-ed off created a ton of just wasted space. Glad they are doing something with that now.

Home field advantage is a big deal in the NFL and while the Jags may have been a bit down and out of late, they can certainly turn it around quickly in the NFL and may be off to that start now with their new shiny QB (Bortles if he pans out).

That home field advantage comes from engaged fans. These fans aren't going to be engaged in the game. Right? I don't know.. I mean it's only 9500 seats so max 9500 folks, but overall it makes for such a distraction I'd think.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

Home field advantage is a big deal in the NFL and while the Jags may have been a bit down and out of late, they can certainly turn it around quickly in the NFL and may be off to that start now with their new shiny QB (Bortles if he pans out).

That home field advantage comes from engaged fans. These fans aren't going to be engaged in the game. Right? I don't know.. I mean it's only 9500 seats so max 9500 folks, but overall it makes for such a distraction I'd think.

As AF posted:

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

It's the tarped off area that they are mainly re-purposing for this. Even with the tarp there were empty seats in the Stadium even times that they technically sold out.

They tarp it off at the beginning of the year and don't use it at all for the entire season. It's not a matter of "when they get better, more people will come", IMO. Also with the renovation they should have ~67,000 seats (not counting the party area). Solider Field has a seating capacity of 65,000 IIRC.

EDIT: Solider field has 63,500 according to wiki...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.

Last edited by TheVillain112 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacksonville replacing seats with pools/cabanas Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah when you look at it in those terms I can agree with that point. Still, won't it feel like this stadium is now hosting two events during the game? It just.. I don't know. Seeing it first hand in KC (albeit a much slower paced game that doesn't really turn on every single play/pitch) I don't know.

I kinda thought about this a bit when the Vikes stadium details were announced as well.. 6 clubs in there or something?

Isn't there something to be said for the whole focus to be on the field? I'm asking, not telling.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacksonville replacing seats with pools/cabanas Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah when you look at it in those terms I can agree with that point. Still, won't it feel like this stadium is now hosting two events during the game? It just.. I don't know. Seeing it first hand in KC (albeit a much slower paced game that doesn't really turn on every single play/pitch) I don't know.

I kinda thought about this a bit when the Vikes stadium details were announced as well.. 6 clubs in there or something?

Isn't there something to be said for the whole focus to be on the field? I'm asking, not telling.

From what I've gathered, it seems like it is being geared toward parties, especially business-affiliated parties (employee morale boosters/bonding, clients, prospective employees, etc) so most of the people that would buy those tickets would likely do so in an enormous group; in that situation, it's more about the experience than the game anyway.

It's another way to get people to choose watching the game in person as opposed to at home. $250/person is a pretty good deal considering everything that they're being offered in addition to the cabana access. Even if they do not pay attention to the game (which I don't really think will be an issue unless it's a blowout... which is very possible) then they should still have a good time.

Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this news? This is like a year old and khanstruction will be done before the season.

#JDI
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacksonville replacing seats with pools/cabanas Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:

Quote:

From what I've gathered, it seems like it is being geared toward parties, especially business-affiliated parties (employee morale boosters/bonding, clients, prospective employees, etc) so most of the people that would buy those tickets would likely do so in an enormous group; in that situation, it's more about the experience than the game anyway.

It's another way to get people to choose watching the game in person as opposed to at home. $250/person is a pretty good deal considering everything that they're being offered in addition to the cabana access. Even if they do not pay attention to the game (which I don't really think will be an issue unless it's a blowout... which is very possible) then they should still have a good time.

Exactly.

9,500 seats unused? Or 9,500 seats re-purposed into expensive party type areas to make more money and get more people/companies out to the game?

Smart decision, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart.. Popping bottles while chillen at a stadium!

Selfie game, To the next level... So smart, For the young crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Why is this news? This is like a year old and khanstruction will be done before the season.

It might be better served as a topic in NFL General, apologies.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

What I mean is - this has been in works for over a year - it also includes the worlds largest scoreboards - and other renovation plans. ESPN finally ran the story today but this isn't news.

#JDI
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

don't worry about it

it's more of an annoyance at mainstream media (specifically ESPN)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: