Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

US Patent office has cancelled the Redskins trademark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Hope-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
no, i get it. and i'm saying all or none.

i'm saying, you can explain why the name redskins is so offensive, but names clearly implying indians where fans dress up like indians and do war chants isn't, just because their name is "friendlier". that is the reason some indians don't like it, because they don't like people mocking them. if redskins supports and enables that, so does every indian name.

all or nothing.

Blatant disrespect and cultural appropriation by fans can't be blamed on the name of the team.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2013/12/18/redskins_the_debate_over_the_washington_football_team_s_name_incorrectly.html
The word Redskin was an endearing term before ever being suggested as racist. Bruce Allen himself wrote a DC senator to explain the orgin,but this article explains it all.

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
IrishGreen

-Hope- wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

i'm saying, you can explain why the name redskins is so offensive, but names clearly implying indians where fans dress up like indians and do war chants isn't, just because their name is "friendlier". that is the reason some indians don't like it, because they don't like people mocking them. if redskins supports and enables that, so does every indian name.

all or nothing.

Blatant disrespect and cultural appropriation by fans can't be blamed on the name of the team.

but it encourages it and enables it.

El Ramster on the amazing work
-Hope-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

all or nothing.

but it encourages it and enables it.

Only if the team doesn't take adequate steps to educate fans about how not to do things. And obviously, not all teams have, and that's an issue. But it's not an issue with the name.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
Ok the people who take this offensive are going a little far if Warriors is unacceptable too

I mean I know some Jets fans who lost loved ones during 9/11 and think the team should change the name because well Jets, twin towers, etc but they've remained quiet on that front.

But in reality you can find something offensive with every team name in the NFL

Whats the saying "If it affects one of us, it affects all of us" so we should all start protesting our teams names and just make the NFL do away with nicknames and have teams become Football Clubs

New York Football Club
Dallas Football Club

and so on and so forth

Nobody in here is saying anything is wrong with the name "warriors" that I am aware of. Just one person arguing that "someone will just be offended by that too."

FosterTheSkins wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
KennyBania wrote:
Any suggestions on a new name?

Warriors?

This just makes so much sense! You can keep the logo, yet this name honors Native Americans, instead of disparaging them, like the current name does.

Pretty sure someones already wrote it but these groups against the Redskins name find Warriors just as offensive. It'd only be a lateral movement, at best.

I know right. Standing with his mother, they looked like a married couple.

Jameis Winston wrote:
I said, we said, uh, I said

#LuckAllDay
Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.O wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
I hope the Redskins win their appeal for history's sake, this is really the best thing people have to do with their time. Really, so if they have to change their name & logo. Why don't the Cleveland Indians have to change their name, Why don't the Blackhawks have to change their name & logo?

Because the problem has nothing to do with the logo and everything to with the Team Name. Black Hawk isn't a racial Slur towards Native Americans...Redskin is.

This

i dont know why its so hard for everyone to undertsand
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
Ok the people who take this offensive are going a little far if Warriors is unacceptable too

I mean I know some Jets fans who lost loved ones during 9/11 and think the team should change the name because well Jets, twin towers, etc but they've remained quiet on that front.

Whats the saying "If it affects one of us, it affects all of us" so we should all start protesting our teams names and just make the NFL do away with nicknames and have teams become Football Clubs

New York Football Club
Dallas Football Club

and so on and so forth

Nobody in here is saying anything is wrong with the name "warriors" that I am aware of. Just one person arguing that "someone will just be offended by that too."

FosterTheSkins wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
KennyBania wrote:

Warriors?

This just makes so much sense! You can keep the logo, yet this name honors Native Americans, instead of disparaging them, like the current name does.

Pretty sure someones already wrote it but these groups against the Redskins name find Warriors just as offensive. It'd only be a lateral movement, at best.

He isnt saying he has an issue with the name "Warriors." He's pointing out that someone else will.

CK on the sig
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Really don't understand why this has to be an issue the government should be spending their time on, can't the NFL just do something about the name?

The U.S. Patent office should have the right to intervene with any trademark they want to. Including sports teams.

Not really. There are still First Amendment issues. The statute only prohibiting derogatory or offensive marks but not marks considering the same subject but praising them is viewpoint discrimination.

Courts to date haven't agreed with that, but the Supreme Court hasn't weighed in and has been increasingly hardlined on first amendment speech restrictions.

If Snyder wants there is a decent chance he could win his appeal. At this point though I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I can't imagine the name "Redskins" holds enough value that changing it would markedly diminish the value of the team.

#JDI
Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2013/12/18/redskins_the_debate_over_the_washington_football_team_s_name_incorrectly.html
The word Redskin was an endearing term before ever being suggested as racist. Bruce Allen himself wrote a DC senator to explain the orgin,but this article explains it all.

I think the fact that it uses "skin" and a "color" terminology makes it offensive. I mean I wouldn't take it very nicely if an NFL team had a name called "Yellowskin" but that's just me I guess.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

New York Football Club
Dallas Football Club

and so on and so forth

FosterTheSkins wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
KennyBania wrote:

Warriors?

He isnt saying he has an issue with the name "Warriors." He's pointing out that someone else will.

Thats what I said, when I said "the people" I wasn't referring to posters I was referring to his post
I know right. Standing with his mother, they looked like a married couple.

Jameis Winston wrote:
I said, we said, uh, I said

#LuckAllDay
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Really don't understand why this has to be an issue the government should be spending their time on, can't the NFL just do something about the name?
I'm sure the NFL can, and honestly I wonder why they haven't (assuming they can).

R.I.P. Stylish
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

New York Football Club
Dallas Football Club

and so on and so forth

FosterTheSkins wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
KennyBania wrote:

Warriors?

Thats what I said, when I said "the people" I wasn't referring to posters I was referring to his post

Ah, gotcha.

CK on the sig
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post was more as playing devils advocate. Clearly redskin Is offensive, but I do think its a slippery slope. What if I really was offended by the Notre dame thing?

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
ThePrimeTime12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hogs would be a good replacement name for it especially since that was the former nickname of the team.

^^ Joe_is_the_best on the sig
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
For those that support a name change, this is a small victory. Eventually, if Snyder loses money over trademark rights the other team owners will intervene. Snyder would have a duty to the other league owners to give in if he is directly costing them revenue for being stubborn.

I don't understand the complaints. It's been determined that Redskins is offensive and racist, and is a derogatory name. I'm not sure why people are throwing teams like the Vikings, Indians, and braves into this. These aren't offensive and are merely terms to describe a group.

Determined by whom? Every poll done in regards to the name/logo show overwhelming support.

It's a travesty that this has gone on as long as it has. Some people just can't admit defeat though.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: