Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

US Patent office has cancelled the Redskins trademark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington Hogs is probably the closest they can get to keeping the tradition of the team

But Redskins is such a badass name its hard to let go of
ohiogenius

Okay some people seem to be missing some basic grasp on this topic.

Blackhawks named after Blackhawk (a leader/person)
Indians what we stupidly call Native Americans (group of people)
Redskins (derogatory term)

For example you can make a team and call it Chicago Luthors (in honor of MLK Jr)
You can also make a team and call it Chicago Blacks. Stupid but go for it (group of people)
You cant make a team and call it Chicago N***ers (derogatory term)

All or nothing makes no sense because Indians, Chiefs, Blackhawk, Seminoles arent offensive terms. They are identifiers of some part of Native Americans.

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I hope the Redskins win their appeal for history's sake, this is really the best thing people have to do with their time. Really, so if they have to change their name & logo. Why don't the Cleveland Indians have to change their name, Why don't the Blackhawks have to change their name & logo?

Quote:
Hail to the Redskins !
Hail to victory !
Braves on the war path !
Fight for old D.C !
Run or pass and score,
We want a lot more !
Beat em, Swamp em, Touchdown,
Let the points soar !
Fight on... Fight On...
Til you have won,
Sons of Washington !

Is it because this team plays in Chicago and not Washington?

Washington Redhawks?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Really don't understand why this has to be an issue the government should be spending their time on, can't the NFL just do something about the name?
I'm sure the NFL can, and honestly I wonder why they haven't (assuming they can).

Because they have no reason to. The Redskins are a massive franchise that was valued at $1.7 BILLION in August of last year. Just because a portion of the population has "white guilt" doesn't mean the NFL is going to change a successful franchise.
ThePrimeTime12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:

For example you can make a team and call it Chicago Luthors (in honor of MLK Jr)
You can also make a team and call it Chicago Blacks. Stupid but go for it (group of people)

All or nothing makes no sense because Indians, Chiefs, Blackhawk, Seminoles arent offensive terms. They are identifiers of some part of Native Americans.

I was just about to make this example, so bravo as you probably explained it better than what I would have. The only reason people don't understand that this is derogatory is because people don't know and aren't use to being around other Native Americans and what not as they are not very common among this population. If there were more Native Americans, more people would be offended and more people would have taken action against it.

But most are ignorant to this, so they just say, "why change something that has lasted as long as it did?

^^ Joe_is_the_best on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
My post was more as playing devils advocate. Clearly redskin Is offensive, but I do think its a slippery slope. What if I really was offended by the Notre dame thing?

Well then you could let it be known and if you get enough support from the irish american community (and good luck with that! they adore the fighting irish) and sympathetic supporters outside that community, you can try and get the name and/or logo changed. But, again, good luck with that. You might as well start a grassroots campaign to change the name of the yankees.

I mean, I knew what you were getting at. Playing devils advocate. But the ND thing is a very, very hard sell. The Irish, by and large, LOVE having an "Irish" team to root for. Even if it is a second team after their local team. Its a very tough comparison.

CK on the sig
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about if they reference Red Cloud? A Sioux leader? Would be pretty funny if they went with "Red's Kin" Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
What about if they reference Red Cloud? A Sioux leader? Would be pretty funny if they went with "Red's Kin" Laughing

Laughing
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked for a newspaper, many years ago, I did an article where I interviewed some Native Americans. I can't remember how we got onto the subject, but I was told by two tribal elders that the term "Redskin" originated from bounties that were placed on Native Americans and what was needed for proof, to collect those bounties. I'm not going to go into details of what they said, because I don't wanna break any rules, but it is something very disturbing that if true, (which I have no reason not to believe them), would be considered "America's dirty little secret." They told me you won't find these things in any history books, but they have been passed down in the tribes. I know I'm being a bit vague, but like I say, I don't wanna break any rules, but apparently from what I was told, there is more to it, than just a derogatory term.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Really don't understand why this has to be an issue the government should be spending their time on, can't the NFL just do something about the name?
I'm sure the NFL can, and honestly I wonder why they haven't (assuming they can).

Because they have no reason to. The Redskins are a massive franchise that was valued at $1.7 BILLION in August of last year. Just because a portion of the population has "white guilt" doesn't mean the NFL is going to change a successful franchise.

Yep, nothing but white people spearheading this. This is all about whitey. Laughing

And the teams value and success arent dependent on a racial epithet. Changing the name with change neither.

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
When I worked for a newspaper, many years ago, I did an article where I interviewed some Native Americans. I can't remember how we got onto the subject, but I was told by two tribal elders that the term "Redskin" originated from bounties that were placed on Native Americans and what was needed for proof, to collect those bounties. I'm not going to go into details of what they said, because I don't wanna break any rules, but it is something very disturbing that if true, (which I have no reason not to believe them), would be considered "America's dirty little secret." They told me you won't find these things in any history books, but they have been passed down in the tribes. I know I'm being a bit vague, but like I say, I don't wanna break any rules, but apparently from what I was told, there is more to it, than just a derogatory term.

Nobody knows the exact origin, but that has been a longstanding theory for as long as I can remember.

CK on the sig
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cips.csusb.edu/docs/PressRelease.pdf

To test the theory though I'll probably need 50+ grand at least for equipment
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
For those that support a name change, this is a small victory. Eventually, if Snyder loses money over trademark rights the other team owners will intervene. Snyder would have a duty to the other league owners to give in if he is directly costing them revenue for being stubborn.

I don't understand the complaints. It's been determined that Redskins is offensive and racist, and is a derogatory name. I'm not sure why people are throwing teams like the Vikings, Indians, and braves into this. These aren't offensive and are merely terms to describe a group.

Determined by whom? Every poll done in regards to the name/logo show overwhelming support.

It's a travesty that this has gone on as long as it has. Some people just can't admit defeat though.

To test the theory though I'll probably need 50+ grand at least for equipment
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:

yea, i don't think anyone in here is not grasping the term. plenty of native americans don't like to be used as mascots, period.

it's not just the name, it's the making a parody of their lifestyle part.

this opens a whole can of worms. people can pretend like it doesn't, but it does.

El Ramster on the amazing work
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
For those that support a name change, this is a small victory. Eventually, if Snyder loses money over trademark rights the other team owners will intervene. Snyder would have a duty to the other league owners to give in if he is directly costing them revenue for being stubborn.

I don't understand the complaints. It's been determined that Redskins is offensive and racist, and is a derogatory name. I'm not sure why people are throwing teams like the Vikings, Indians, and braves into this. These aren't offensive and are merely terms to describe a group.

Determined by whom? Every poll done in regards to the name/logo show overwhelming support.

It's a travesty that this has gone on as long as it has. Some people just can't admit defeat though.

Quote:
The neutral category played a significant role for whites in allowing them to not be seen as “racist”

Obvious unbiased poll. Laughing I also like that the "white" votes came predominantly from "pow wows". Laughing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: