Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

US Patent office has cancelled the Redskins trademark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Hope-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
I always felt this logo:

[img]big picture[/img]

Was way more offensive then the Redskins name. I can't believe they still use it today and no one says anything about it.

Why stop there,

[img]another big picture[/img]

I wouldn't be surprised. Further marginalizing an already-marginalized ethnicity by using them as a mascot for a sports team is shaky ground even if you're not using a racial slur as the nickname. It'll take time, but my guess is these names will be pretty much phased out in the future.

skywindO2 wrote:
Never spit it out. Always power through it.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fighting Irish and their mascot is meant as a stereotype that the Irish are violent towards each other.

As someone of Irish heritage, I am offended.

Change it

BTW, The Indians logo (Chief Wahoo) has been a big subject lately. There are a lot of talks about changing it. In fact I recently heard the Organization is no longer using it as the main logo.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
BTW, The Indians logo (Chief Wahoo) has been a big subject lately. There are a lot of talks about changing it. In fact I recently heard the Organization is no longer using it as the main logo.

They removed it from their caps and just have the C now. But the logo is still on the shoulder of their jerseys.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
skywindO2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
I always felt this logo:

[img]big picture[/img]

Was way more offensive then the Redskins name. I can't believe they still use it today and no one says anything about it.

Why stop there,

I wouldn't be surprised. Further marginalizing an already-marginalized ethnicity by using them as a mascot for a sports team is shaky ground even if you're not using a racial slur as the nickname. It'll take time, but my guess is these names will be pretty much phased out in the future.

The could see the Blackhawks maybe changing their logo but I can't imagine that name ever changing. At best, it's a stretch to say it's marginalizing.

On the topic of the Redskins, Dan Snyder is going to play tough and make it look like he's reluctant to change the name, but secretly, he's salivating over the idea of all the rubes buying new merchandise.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
KennyBania

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions on a new name?

Warriors?
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
The Fighting Irish and their mascot is meant as a stereotype that the Irish are violent towards each other.

Change it.

But the thing is, I dont think youre really offended in the least.

CK on the sig
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thing is when I look at the logos of the Redskins, Blackhawks, Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles, etc etc I see them as tributes and appreciation. The Indians logo I see a mockery. That one stands out to me as extremely offensive.

I think the Redskins should keep the logo and just adopt a new name. Their uniforms and logo are actually sharp looking and historic. I'd hate to see them forced to have to re-invent their whole image, unless of course they choose to.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
Brodie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

Change it.

But the thing is, I dont think youre really offended in the least.

But just because he isnt offended doesnt mean it cant be offensive to a small number of people who belong to that group. Case in point the Redskins name.
Quote:
In the 2004 survey, the question was asked of 768 self-identified Indians or Native Americans. Nine percent said they found the name offensive. The poll included data from Oct. 7, 2003 through Sept. 20, 2004. For more on the survey click here, and for the original news release, click here.

Tbh the Fighting Irish name is a lot more racist

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
I always felt this logo:

[img]big picture[/img]

Why stop there,

Its really all in the presentation.

If you had a team called The Zulu's and your mascot was something that painted zulu warrior in a complimentary light, as someone proud, noble, and brave, it may not draw much ire. If you go with a ridiculous cartoony mascot in blackface with a bone through his nose and a spear in his hand, it will probably draw some complaints.

CK on the sig
Brodie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
I always felt this logo:

[img]big picture[/img]

Why stop there,

Its really all in the presentation.

If you had a team called The Zulu's and your mascot was something that painted zulu warrior in a complimentary light, as someone proud, noble, and brave, it may not draw much ire. If you go with a ridiculous cartoony mascot in blackface with a bone through his nose and a spear in his hand, it will probably draw some complaints.

100% agree. The Cleveland Indians logo looks like a caricature

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodie wrote:
But just because he isnt offended doesnt mean it cant be offensive to a small number of people who belong to that group.

Which is irrelevant to my response. I am talking about inventing distaste where there normally isnt any simply because you find something else distasteful. Don't suddenly decide the Fighting Irish logo and mascot are distasteful just because others find the Redskins distasteful and you disagree.

Quote:
In the 2004 survey, the question was asked of 768 self-identified Indians or Native Americans. Nine percent said they found the name offensive. The poll included data from Oct. 7, 2003 through Sept. 20, 2004. For more on the survey click here, and for the original news release, click here.

Most of us are aware of that survey. Are you also aware of the grassroots campaign by indian nations to get the names changed? Or the add they spent money on in protest of the name? Or the court fights? Its pretty clear that survey from 10 years ago likely isnt indicative of the overall sentiment NOW.

If you find the Fighting Irish so offensive and racist, have you done anything to change it? Or are you okay with it being racist simply because it has always been racist?

I personally dont find anything racist about it. And I am as Irish as they come. Born a carrot top. Kids born the same way. I think the name and mascot allude to our plucky nature and our unwillingness to back down. Our pride. Our stubborn nature. Our courage. What positive do you glean from the name "Redskins?"

CK on the sig

Last edited by J Pep 4 Step on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
PackerPride

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Well deserved. I'm interested in the new name unveiling.

Last edited by PackerPride on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I hate the overly 'PC' culture that we live in today, but this is a move that was overdue.

Basically, the Fighting Irish isnt really offensive because the Irish were, at their lowest, a marginalized sect of our society.

We straight up genocided the Indians, crushed their culture and co-opted 'savage' imagry to portray the animalistic nature of sports (IE: Athleticism, physical contact, survival of the fittest)

I can see how its viewed as offensive.

how is that relevant?

anyways, I feel like this should have been done years ago, probably right around 92'. Its been a long time coming.

I hope there is a (much needed) name change soon.

down but not out. I still believe!
flyers0909

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

They removed it from their caps and just have the C now. But the logo is still on the shoulder of their jerseys.

It's slowly being phased out of apparel, jerseys, etc. The team is moving more towards the block "C" and away from Chief Wahoo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Brodie wrote:
But just because he isnt offended doesnt mean it cant be offensive to a small number of people who belong to that group.

Which is irrelevant to my response.

Quote:

Most of us are aware of that survey. Are you also aware of the grassroots campaign by indian nations to get the names changed? Or the add they spent money on in protest of the name? Or the court fights? Its pretty clear that survey from 10 years ago likely isnt indicative of the overall sentiment NOW.

If you find the Fighting Irish so offensive and racist, have you done anything to change it? Or are you okay with it being racist simply because it has always been racist?

I personally dont find anything racist about it. And I am as Irish as they come. Born a carrot top. Kids born the same way. I think the name and mascot allude to our plucky nature and our unwillingness to back down. What positive do you glean from the name "Redskins?"

i legit think it's alpha as hell and i think of a strong warrior (srs). i've never thought of anything negative because of it.

idk how native americans are so offended by this (well 95% prolly aren't, but as in everything of course the squeaky wheels get the grease).

personally i would think it's kind of cool to have mascots named after groups of people with positive characteristics they're know for (like fighting irish). this is a native american portrayed as a strong warrior. i don't see how someone can be offended.

if you let everything in life offend you or upset you, you'll never be happy. some people take things way too seriously.

also, pretty much every group of people has quirks and stuff they can be "marginalized" for. you can either laugh it off and even embrace it somewhat, or get upset about it. usually i find the former are much more fun to be around.

El Ramster on the amazing work

Last edited by IrishGreen on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: