Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans trade QB TJ Yates to the Falcons for ILB Akeem Dent
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Texans trade QB TJ Yates to the Falcons for ILB Akeem Dent Reply with quote

Quote:
@ProFootballTalk: Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent, per league source.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360169/article/texans-trade-tj-yates-to-falcons-for-akeem-dent?campaign=Twitter_atl_coppinger

At first it appeared that the Texans waived TJ Yates, and now tweets from Jason La Carfora says that he is still on the roster.

I havent seen that much of Dent with the Falcons, but if we were going to let Yates go, at least we got something for him and Dent fills a need at ILB for the Texans.

Last edited by Texansfan713 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
BullsonParade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcons win this trade.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yates can at least be a nice backup.

Dent is just horrible.
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traded for a guy who was going to be cut after the Falcons lost Weatherspoon for the year. That has to be a hit to Dent's ego.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dent never really showed anything here in Atlanta, and this is coming from a UGA fan...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird trade

mack. ^
Justin Upton Stat Tracker: 12 HR 18 RBI .302 BA
Proud Air Traffic Control Student In Training!
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, but picking up a quality backup is always a good idea, especially when it only costs you a guy like Dent.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 23 receptions, 199 yards, 10 first downs, 1 TD - 3 rushes, 49 yards, 2 first downs
Corey White - 20 tackles, 1 fumble recovery
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a win/win for both teams. We finally get a legit backup that can win us some games if something happens to Ryan and Houston gets a 2 down thumper that is very good depth or spot starter and is a legit ST player which some people might over look but thats a big plus in my book.

Although if Dent is still having problems with the ankle injury thats def. not good and could be a big reason the falcons were gonna let him go or trade him.
coors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of random and out of nowhere.. at least to me.

Dent didn't seem to fit at all in the defense that we've been trying to transition into over the last couple of years.. but I wouldn't have thought that there would be any trade market whatsoever for him. Regarding Yates, other then when Schaub got hurt at the end of the season a couple years back and when Yates then ended up starting a playoff game iirc, I really hadn't heard the name Yates since then I don't believe. I guess it will be nice to have a backup QB who has at least a couple of starts under his belt.. it certainly can't hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dent is healthy, then he can be a solid 2 down player for Houston. He struggled his first year, but he started to play a lot better at the beginning of last year, before his injury.

He was going to be let go since Paul Worrilow came out of nowhere and took the starting job, and we need depth players that can cover better.

Houston should be happy with him.

#JDI

Taysom Hill 2014 Heisman Campaign
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither team can lose this trade but I don't know if either should be declared a winner.

TJ Yates is a capable enough backup and while I don't know a ton about the Falcons roster they don't seem to have anyone behind Matt Ryan other than a few unproven young guys. So at least they get someone who can hold a clipboard but you don't want TJ starting any significant number of games and, in my opinion, there's almost no upside to him. He's never going to develop into a starter. Atlanta can find replacement-level talent like Dent (they signed Dobbins who isn't all that different).

Meanwhile, in Houston... they were going to release Yates anyway. The only reason they didn't is because once the news leaked of his release they started getting phone calls. So even if Dent doesn't make it to the final roster, there's no loss. They brought a guy in for nothing and the hope is that Dent can contribute on special teams and provide depth at ILB. Dent may make the final roster but if he wasn't good enough to play for the Falcons at ILB, it's unlikely he'll find a situation in Houston that's more desperate than Atlanta. It's like getting cut by the Browns if you're a receiver (see Bennett, Earl). It's just not a good sign.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
Neither team can lose this trade but I don't know if either should be declared a winner.

TJ Yates is a capable enough backup and while I don't know a ton about the Falcons roster they don't seem to have anyone behind Matt Ryan other than a few unproven young guys. So at least they get someone who can hold a clipboard but you don't want TJ starting any significant number of games and, in my opinion, there's almost no upside to him. He's never going to develop into a starter. Atlanta can find replacement-level talent like Dent (they signed Dobbins who isn't all that different).

Meanwhile, in Houston... they were going to release Yates anyway. The only reason they didn't is because once the news leaked of his release they started getting phone calls. So even if Dent doesn't make it to the final roster, there's no loss. They brought a guy in for nothing and the hope is that Dent can contribute on special teams and provide depth at ILB. Dent may make the final roster but if he wasn't good enough to play for the Falcons at ILB, it's unlikely he'll find a situation in Houston that's more desperate than Atlanta. It's like getting cut by the Browns if you're a receiver (see Bennett, Earl). It's just not a good sign.

Atlanta is solid at LB. We're just very young.

Paul Worrilow might have been the second best rookie LB in the league last year after he came on for Dent.

Joplo Bartu had some growing pains, but he is a great coverage SLB, and should only continue to get better.

WLB is the only spot where we are lacking since Spoon went out. Honestly, we have no clue who will play there. Shembo, Starr, Smallwood, and Spruill will all get their chance in training camp, and personally, I think its going to be Starr. I love the kid.

#JDI

Taysom Hill 2014 Heisman Campaign
El ramster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did Yates becomes a solid back up?

Dude sucked last year, and he sucked the year

They played the bengals in the post season.

Solid back up??!?!!!!!!! win games?

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
When did Yates becomes a solid back up?

Dude sucked last year, and he sucked the year

They played the bengals in the post season.

Solid back up??!?!!!!!!! win games?

He showed potential as a rookie, but that may have been a fluke.

He hasnt really look good since.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good trade for the falcons. Really, good trade for both teams
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: