Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars Release DE Jason Babin
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Grachuus


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 25288
Location: Thanks for the Sig Deadpulse!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Grachuus wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I dont understand why we would cut him so soon after signing him to a 3 year deal not so long ago. It isnt even TC time yet. Wonder if there is more to it that we dont know


Must be. Let's play why would Justin Babin get cut in this manner!!!1!


A) Retiring either out of shape or injured and doesn't want to go through it
B) Extreme conflict with management "I wouldn't play that position in that scheme what are you? Crazy?"
C) Impending legal problems


1. He's not good.
2. He isn't outperforming our current young guys
3. He didn't do much depsite 'sack numbers'
4. This shouldn't be surprising, there aren't snaps to go around and we are giving him a shot to catch on elsewhere.


All those make way more sense if he wasn't signed this off year. If we assume they are the reason the team has serious issues with it's own management.
_________________

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46325
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Grachuus wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I dont understand why we would cut him so soon after signing him to a 3 year deal not so long ago. It isnt even TC time yet. Wonder if there is more to it that we dont know


Must be. Let's play why would Justin Babin get cut in this manner!!!1!


A) Retiring either out of shape or injured and doesn't want to go through it
B) Extreme conflict with management "I wouldn't play that position in that scheme what are you? Crazy?"
C) Impending legal problems


1. He's not good.
2. He isn't outperforming our current young guys
3. He didn't do much depsite 'sack numbers'
4. This shouldn't be surprising, there aren't snaps to go around and we are giving him a shot to catch on elsewhere.


Shouldn't the Jags have accounted for Points #1 and #3 before resigning him? Releasing a guy like Jason Babin isn't the end of the world, but I'd have to believe there's more to the story or they shouldn't have resigned him in the first place...
He was an insurance policy in case we weren't able to get the depth we wanted. However, we did, and they appear to be ahead of schedule, so we're now letting him go to give the guys more reps.
_________________

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46325
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And our "signing" him this year was just him voiding his contract so that we could restructure his deal for significantly less, because he knew he wasn't likely to be retained.
_________________

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20767
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Grachuus wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I dont understand why we would cut him so soon after signing him to a 3 year deal not so long ago. It isnt even TC time yet. Wonder if there is more to it that we dont know


Must be. Let's play why would Justin Babin get cut in this manner!!!1!


A) Retiring either out of shape or injured and doesn't want to go through it
B) Extreme conflict with management "I wouldn't play that position in that scheme what are you? Crazy?"
C) Impending legal problems


1. He's not good.
2. He isn't outperforming our current young guys
3. He didn't do much depsite 'sack numbers'
4. This shouldn't be surprising, there aren't snaps to go around and we are giving him a shot to catch on elsewhere.


Shouldn't the Jags have accounted for Points #1 and #3 before resigning him? Releasing a guy like Jason Babin isn't the end of the world, but I'd have to believe there's more to the story or they shouldn't have resigned him in the first place...


We've been trying to account for points 1 and 3 for a long time.
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35461
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grachuus wrote:


All those make way more sense if he wasn't signed this off year. If we assume they are the reason the team has serious issues with it's own management.


He/We voided off his final year and signed him to an incentive laced deal, in which, we 'lost' 500k when he was cut rather than the 6m he had before he voided out his last deal. He was signed back with the understanding it would be a rotational role behind Clemons and now sounds like he had to compete and beat out Windmill/Ryan Davis as well, who fit multiple roles in the defense [LEO/OTTO] and Babin just doesn't...
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35461
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:

Not that I disagree completely, but how can one say this one way or the other before Training Camp even starts? Laughing


Reports are that he looks slower than the rest and is a noticeable step slower compared to where he was last year. With the relationship he has with Dave and Gus, they wanted to due this prior to July 1st to give him time to catch on elsewhere.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darnell


Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1950
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting rid of once good veterans (Tatupu, Branch,,Trufant Houshmandzadeh etc) who aren't going to be around when you're ready to compete is something Gus saw first hand in Seattle.

If early returns on a kid like Chris Smith are good, he shouldn't be losing reps to a guy like Babin who is on the downside of his career.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Withmy89vision


Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 3597
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darnell wrote:
Getting rid of once good veterans (Tatupu, Branch,,Trufant Houshmandzadeh etc) who aren't going to be around when you're ready to compete is something Gus saw first hand in Seattle.

If early returns on a kid like Chris Smith are good, he shouldn't be losing reps to a guy like Babin who is on the downside of his career.



This along with the fact that Babin is reportedly a poor team mate
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 83771
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withmy89vision wrote:
darnell wrote:
Getting rid of once good veterans (Tatupu, Branch,,Trufant Houshmandzadeh etc) who aren't going to be around when you're ready to compete is something Gus saw first hand in Seattle.

If early returns on a kid like Chris Smith are good, he shouldn't be losing reps to a guy like Babin who is on the downside of his career.



This along with the fact that Babin is reportedly a poor team mate


Yea I understand that, I understand it better now. Only lost 500K to sign him and we had plenty of money so losing that didnt affect our plans in free agency. Now I'm more anxious/excited to see what these LEOs can do now since most are so young
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speedyg


Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 406
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withmy89vision wrote:
darnell wrote:
Getting rid of once good veterans (Tatupu, Branch,,Trufant Houshmandzadeh etc) who aren't going to be around when you're ready to compete is something Gus saw first hand in Seattle.

If early returns on a kid like Chris Smith are good, he shouldn't be losing reps to a guy like Babin who is on the downside of his career.



This along with the fact that Babin is reportedly a poor team mate


Babin had that rep in previous stops, but he's been lauded by the entire Jaguars defense as a leader...a sentiment echoed by Gus Bradley.

It was simply a numbers game...too many LEOs in the roster, all of which were younger than him. Babin wasn't going to be a long-term fixture, and his leadership has been replaced by guys like Clemons and Red Bryant.

I'm somewhat surprised by it just because we just brought him back, but quite frankly I was just as surprised when we did bring him back AFTER signing Clemons. I thought the signing of Clemons was the end for him.

Its up to the young guys now (Branch, Davis, and Smith) to provide depth behind Clemons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tom cody


Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 8645
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a decent depth signing for some team. Probably nothing more at this point though.
_________________
Me lose brain? Uh, oh! Ha ha ha! Why I laugh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group