Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Minor league football to begin in October
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Minor league football to begin in October Reply with quote

The Fall Experimental Football League plans to launch in October as a developmental league, with no NFL affiliation but with lots of intriguing ideas. Six teams, 40-man rosters, limited salaries ó and perhaps no punts, kickoffs or extra-point placements. A home for players who canít crack the big time to hone their skills for another shot at the NFL. Maybe even a place for collegians not yet eligible for the NFL to grow their games.

ďGiven the current Division I landscape in football and the collective bargaining agreement the NFL has with the union, there is more than ever a need for another platform out there,Ē says Brian Woods, the FXFL commissioner. ďA platform like for basketball and baseball players. Pro football has nothing. The NFL has the practice squad, but it does not develop players because they donít get into games. You donít develop if you arenít getting on the field.Ē

The FXFL will field teams in the New York and Boston areas; Austin, Texas; Portland, Oregon; Omaha, Nebraska; and in Florida. No city has been announced for the Florida franchise.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_26006636/here-comes-fxfl-new-developmental-football-league-launching

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin?

Brb, getting some new cleats.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall....?

I always felt that these kinds of leagues would be much better off going for a Spring schedule to not compete with the NFL. But oh well, best of luck to them.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope this takes off and becomes a success. Even a modest, provincial success. Because as it is, players have limited options if they don't make the rosters of one of the 32 NFL teams.

Canada, Arena Football or getting a real job. If this league were to offer them the chance to play and develop themselves, and perhaps attract the attention of an NFL scout or two, then it would be great. For the players and for the NFL, as well as for the minor league.

I think it'll be tough to compete and get any attention from fans using a Fall schedule. Because they'll have the NFL and the college seasons to contend with. Not easy, by any stretch of the imagination. They'll have to do some careful scheduling. But equally, I don't think a Spring programme would work for what they want to achieve. How could NFL teams look at any of these guys if they're playing for their teams during the Draft, OTA, Training Camp months? They wouldn't get a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Fall....?

I always felt that these kinds of leagues would be much better off going for a Spring schedule to not compete with the NFL. But oh well, best of luck to them.

Same... impress in the spring and you may get a summer camp invite.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Fall....?

You even have stamina bro? Guys would be worn out, For so much football and the Injury rate would be nuts...

I would like it in spring as well, But I understand.

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
thebeyonder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any minor football league will fail without the NFL's inclusion or collusion (i.e. NCAA). The NFL needsto sponsor a year round alternative league where young players can ball out and get themselves a contract. Or there needs to be another division or type of league. There are too many HS recruits who screw up early in college but whom might otherwise be entertaining football players.
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to get "called up" to an NFL club and be at the back end of the roster (importance of playing ST), when you are not currently playing (and thus being evaluated) on STs.

Heres hoping it works, but I won't hold my breathe.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Fall....?

You even have stamina bro? Guys would be worn out, For so much football and the Injury rate would be nuts...

A developmental league would be for dudes who aren't on NFL rosters (except for perhaps practice squad players). Also with only six teams, the amount of games wouldn't equate into being worn out, and there will be plenty of time in between the end of the developmental season and training camp in the NFL if one is indeed given a shot.

Last edited by TheKillerNacho on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Fall....?

They could have so if you play in the spring league you can't play in the NFL that season but you could sign for a team and train on the practice squad.

Or maybe they couldn't play for the first half of the season.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so hope this works out
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
Tough to get "called up" to an NFL club and be at the back end of the roster (importance of playing ST), when you are not currently playing (and thus being evaluated) on STs.

Heres hoping it works, but I won't hold my breathe.

That's what I was thinking. STs is so often the way fringe players start their careers. eg. RBs or WRs deemed "too small" show their athelticism as return men and then work their way up.

I understand why they're playing it in the fall rather than the spring, if it's going to be a source for emergency call ups then they need to be in football shape. Calling up some guy that hasn't played football in four months would be a risk.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 8 Yards: 72 TDs: 1
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the "timing" of this, I don't think it's going to last very long. I can't imagine it's going to get a ton of attention when it's being aired around the same time frame as the NFL.

Spring would've been a much better launch period. I hope I'm wrong and I hope this works out, I'm just not even remotely confident that it will.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are people worried about this being played when the NFL is?

It's not trying to steal NFL airtime.

Every time this idea comes up (and I'm a huge proponent of an NFL DL) everyone is so concerned about "watching" it when that's not the point.

How many people watch the NBADL?

Nobody.

I don't like Jeff Janis

He's another one of those shingles-prone athletes. TT no longer does his due diligence on susceptibility to viral infections.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
Why are people worried about this being played when the NFL is?

It's not trying to steal NFL airtime.

Every time this idea comes up (and I'm a huge proponent of an NFL DL) everyone is so concerned about "watching" it when that's not the point.

How many people watch the NBADL?

Nobody.

If the league in question is not part of the NFL, the obvious answer is that the league needs to make money. The NBADL is an official part of the NBA, and thus, the NBA keeps it afloat. I'm almost certain the NBAFL wouldn't survive as a separate entity.

Because this is a separate entity, the league would need to make enough money to pay for all of its costs... and that money would, in theory, come from TV deals, merchandise sales, and ticket prices. Merchandise sales isn't likely in a large amount, and TV deals and tickets will have a harder time being sold during the NFL season than during its offseason. There is a large history of American Football leagues that tried to compete (while this league says it doesn't want to compete with the NFL, it is indirectly competing by having their season run at the same time as the NFL's) with the NFL and failed. The original USFL stayed afloat for a bit as a "developmental" league in the spring, but as soon as it moved to a fall schedule it quickly died.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: