Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Minor league football to begin in October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should make it so games are every two weeks and theres a crapton of practices in the middle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football is back in Omaha, hell yes. Chances are I have season tickets Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:
They should make it so games are every two weeks and theres a crapton of practices in the middle.

I don't know about a "crapton" of practices, but what about an 8 game staggered every-other-week schedule that synchs up with the NFL schedule? I feel like this would be much more conducive to the league acting as an NFL minor league where players could be signed to an NFL roster in-season. Games could be played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Using eight hypothetical teams, there could be a schedule as follows:

Week 1:
Team A vs. Team B (Tuesday)
Team C vs. Team D (Wednesday)
Teams E, F, G, and H (Off)

Week 2:
Teams A, B, C, and D (off)
Team E vs. Team F (Tuesday)
Team G vs. Team H (Wednesday)

etc.

You could mix a multi-week bye or two in there at points to somehow synch up the schedules for teams. I think the every other week schedule would potentially help with the league serving as a true MiL for the NFL as players would be fresher, making them less banged up if they're signed by an NFL club and less reluctant to play ball rather than sit out and stay in shape (to avoid injury). Also, this would allow the higher rate of turnover to be less pronounced as these teams, whose best players would ostensibly be leaving at points throughout the year, to put some semblance of a good product on the field.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the business model. Certainly not as a standalone league, and for a nfl supported league i don't see an advantage for the nfl teams since it costs money and no team gets an advantage.

Thats why I understand why the NFL closed NFL europe. Losing reputedly 20+millions a year is a lot investment to build american football in europe.
The Kurt Warner story and preparing talent for the nfl sounds nice, but the nfl franchised don't get any competitive advantage compared to the other franchises but still have to essentially pay a million per year for nfl europe.

However, what i never understood is why the NFL didn't simply say: OK, we offer 8 nfl franchises to operate 1 team in nfle europe each, and they can control the operation of the team and have the ''contract rights'' over the players. So the 8 franchises can really develop talent and have the advantage of 24 franchises not having acces to talent. Advantage for the NFL would be that the 8 franchises would pick up the bill while NFL will be further developed in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL easily makes enough to pay for whatever it takes to maintain a D-league. It would be beneficial to the sport and to everyone playing it.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFLisnewNBA wrote:
NFL easily makes enough to pay for whatever it takes to maintain a D-league. It would be beneficial to the sport and to everyone playing it.

Why? Is the NFL having trouble getting players? evaluating players?

The NFL has a developmental league that they don't have to spend a dime on.... it's called the NCAA.

Why waste money if there is no need to do so?

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Beatnik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the spring vs fall leagues debate, today is the CFL opening for my team and I'm incredibly excited. IF the NFL and college football was started, I probably would'nt even watch the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
NFLisnewNBA wrote:

The NFL has a developmental league that they don't have to spend a dime on.... it's called the NCAA.

He did say to the sport, not the NFL. I think he is right, but so are you. It would give opportunity to improve the sport, and NFL rosters, if only slightly. I do not believe the NFL would have interest in it though because I don't think it would be economically beneficial.

If they needed a better product to sell I think they would do it. The product they currently have is plenty good enough that they think they can improve profits more by expanding their fan base than improving the product. This is why there have been measures taken to lure less traditional football fans to their product. Even though we traditional fans moan and complain about it we still buy their product, so financially they are making good decisions. A minor league, financially, wouldn't be a good decision.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roninho makes a really good point.

The only sports that have this existing model in place are MLB and NHL but each team has their own developmental team or farm team where they can develop players. Unless you can get 32 developmental teams (one for each pro team) then it doesn't really make sense. All you're doing is making a league for guys who no longer have NCAA eligibility but aren't good enough to even be on a practice squad and don't want to play in Canada. There's no point in funding 8 teams of 90 guys in the hopes of finding one or two guys who might actually be able to cut it in the NFL.

The NHL and MLB also draft players really young so teams want to develop prospects from a young age in their own system. The NFL and NBA don't have this because guys are drafted at an age where they are mostly ready to contribute right away or can at least be on the roster as bench reserves. I know the NBA has the European leagues but it's not a developmental league, it's a separate entity that usually doesn't work with the NBA.

I don't understand why there's even a need for a D-League in the NFL. There's already practice squads for each team. The NCAA does a fine job of functioning as the farm system for the NFL and I would argue that the CFL already exists for players who don't make it to the NFL. It doesn't even make sense to have teams in cities with no NFL team. The University team in that city will be way more popular than any NFL D-League team. It's a waste of money. I know people want to expand and capitalize but how many leagues do we have to see fail before we just accept that this is one of those things that just is what it is. Why not just expand practice squads and let the NFL has something similar to "NBA Summer League" where teams can play a few games against guys with UDFAs and PS players. Each team plays 4 games in June before training camp opens and they get a chance to evaluate talent. I'm sure the NFL would shoot it down because of the increased injury risk...
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenderRodriguez wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
How would it work if someone like Dorial Green-Beckham played a year in this league? Would he enter the NFL as a free agent or still the draft?

Beat me to it, excellent question.

My answer to this would be that it should depend on whether the player has made himself eligible for the draft in a previous year. If he has, and was either undrafted or drafted and then released, he's a FA. If he hasn't, then he has to make himself eligible for the draft and go from there.

Whether it works out like that (should the situation arise), I've no idea. But the prospect of college players dropping out to earn money in this developmental league would be an issue for a lot of people, not least the NCAA. So that's a big hurdle for them to jump.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
NFLisnewNBA wrote:

Yes, they do.

And it wouldn't hurt to have a gap in between. Some guys just don't get the coaching or get "found" as easily. You also have guys who moved to football late or hell, who never played college ball who could give this a shot. It WOULD find players for the NFL that wouldn't have made it, guaranteed. How many stars would it find? Not many, but still would find some decent players that slipped through.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
NFLisnewNBA wrote:

Yes, they do.

And it wouldn't hurt to have a gap in between. Some guys just don't get the coaching or get "found" as easily. You also have guys who moved to football late or hell, who never played college ball who could give this a shot. It WOULD find players for the NFL that wouldn't have made it, guaranteed. How many stars would it find? Not many, but still would find some decent players that slipped through.

So who is going to fund a league that will not make money so that a few players are possibly discovered?

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
NFLisnewNBA wrote:

Yes, they do.

So who is going to fund a league that will not make money so that a few players are possibly discovered?

The NFL, if they want to improve their product on the field.

Regardless, the thing that we have to remember here is that the NFL is still a non-profit organization. The teams can make profit, but not the league itself, as they (at least argue) they are supplying a public service, to provide an opportunity for professional football players. If they were true to their non-profit model, and clearly making enough revenue to support a developmental league, they should absolutely go for it, as increasing their service base is something any real non-profit entity would look to do.

Of course, this hinges on the basis that the NFL isn't solely worried about making a profit for its franchise owners. Which is clearly and utterly false, and why the NFL being untaxed is so ridiculous.

Nacho Simulation Football League
King Blonde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there off. site?
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware the NFL "product on the field" was in need of improving!

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: