Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers sign former Chiefs Pro-Bowl CB Brandon Flowers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenos wrote:
Apparently he picked SD over San Francisco. That's awesome!

https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL/status/481551510078509059

He may have wanted to play in the division to pick off Alex Smith twice a year.

It's a good pick-up for them - I think they'll be a better unit than last year.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Picked SD over SF, interesting

San Fran is probably the more likely team to win a championship and look good on. I have to think he signed with us to give the finger to the Chiefs.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art_Vandalay wrote:
I'm assuming the Chargers play zone coverage?

Off-man cover-3 shell.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
Xenos wrote:
Apparently he picked SD over San Francisco. That's awesome!

https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL/status/481551510078509059

He may have wanted to play in the division to pick off Alex Smith twice a year.

It's a good pick-up for them - I think they'll be a better unit than last year.

Also, while SD does play the NFC West this year, SF plays the other teams in that division twice apiece. All of those teams are run-heavy teams which doesn't exactly play to the most marketable skills of a smaller CB. Flowers, to my knowledge, is a very capable tackler in space and not a detriment as a run-defense, but corners rarely get large contracts off of their ability to defend the run.

Also, I'm not positive, but I believe San Fran also asks their CB's to press considerably more than we do (which is like never) which Flowers showed last season to not be his strength. He's hedging his bets with this move.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy choice for Flowers to pick SD over SF, as the women there are second to none.

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

San Fran is probably the more likely team to win a championship and look good on. I have to think he signed with us to give the finger to the Chiefs.

And I don't think we would have been able to give him five million like you guys were.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Yeah, scheme shouldn't be an issue for Flowers. He is actually a good fit for us, the Chargers problem the last few years with CBs have been having strictly press corners(Cox, Cro, Cason etc.) forced to play in a system that has a lot of off-coverage.

If his problem last year in KC was more scheme then physical decline then he should bounce back.

His problem was more playing in the slot, than it was the scheme.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the top FA selection by Chargers! They fill a huge hole, get a tutor to Verrett, and sign an all pro caliber CB when healthy. Additionally, they take a starter from division rival who knows all the new Andy Reid plays and playbook. Lastly, it is a one year motivated deal for a CB who has been paid over 10M previously and is still 29 improving his craft. Payback is a m.........
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

And I don't think we would have been able to give him five million like you guys were.

From everything I'm reading it's a $3m deal ($1.5m signing bonus and $1.5m totaled in game-checks) that can payoff as much as $5m if he meets all benchmarks. So ultimately, if he puts out a Pro Bowl caliber performance to earn it I don't think anyone's going to be griping about paying him an extra $2m.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

From everything I'm reading it's a $3m deal ($1.5m signing bonus and $1.5m totaled in game-checks) that can payoff as much as $5m if he meets all benchmarks. So ultimately, if he puts out a Pro Bowl caliber performance to earn it I don't think anyone's going to be griping about paying him an extra $2m.

Hopefully they ripped this money from Clary's pocket...

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Yeah, scheme shouldn't be an issue for Flowers. He is actually a good fit for us, the Chargers problem the last few years with CBs have been having strictly press corners(Cox, Cro, Cason etc.) forced to play in a system that has a lot of off-coverage.

If his problem last year in KC was more scheme then physical decline then he should bounce back.

So he's an inverted Richard Marshall (who was more than serviceable in the slot but utterly putrid on the boundary)? Laughing

That may actually be the single greatest boon of this signing (at least unless/until Jeromey Clary is forced to take a pay-cut)... Richard Marshall's days are numbered!

Last edited by The LBC on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
game3525 wrote:

So he's an inverted Richard Sherman (who was more than serviceable in the slot but utterly putrid on the boundary)? Laughing

That may actually be the single greatest boon of this signing (at least unless/until Jeromey Clary is forced to take a pay-cut)... Richard Sherman's days are numbered!

Richard Marshall. We don't have Richard Sherman LBC, c'mon. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
game3525 wrote:

So he's an inverted Richard Sherman (who was more than serviceable in the slot but utterly putrid on the boundary)? Laughing

That may actually be the single greatest boon of this signing (at least unless/until Jeromey Clary is forced to take a pay-cut)... Richard Sherman's days are numbered!

Richard Marshall. We don't have Richard Sherman LBC, c'mon. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh I didn't even put that together...I just thought he was talking about Sherman, and he was just being stupid...

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
game3525 wrote:

Oh I didn't even put that together...I just thought he was talking about Sherman, and he was just being stupid...

Yeah, quiet! I fixed it. I'm just a little inebriated.

I did find out though that apparently one of the conditions of at least a portion of that extra $2m is that the Chargers have to reach the AFC Championship game.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
game3525 wrote:

Oh dear lord, thank you. I was so confused, was pretty sure LBC was smarter than that, but didn't want to have to get in such an obviously stupid argument Laughing Laughing

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: