Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers sign former Chiefs Pro-Bowl CB Brandon Flowers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenderRodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the best kind! Laughing

Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
2041 Total Yds; 1278 yds rushing 7td's; 763 yds receiving 3tds

Now Doing Sigs>http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18973664#18973664
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
I did find out though that apparently one of the conditions of at least a portion of that extra $2m is that the Chargers have to reach the AFC Championship game.

He also has to play 92.5% of the snaps in addition to helping the Chargers reach the AFC Title Game in order to get the extra 2 million in bonuses. Seems like a pretty fair contract. It's essentially a 3 million dollar contract.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
valkrei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenos wrote:
Apparently he picked SD over San Francisco. That's awesome!

https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL/status/481551510078509059

Clearly he wants revenge and not a Super Bowl.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll be a good fit in their off man coverage. And Chargers fans may know this already but likely havent noticed it to as much of an extent as they will now.. he's an outstanding run defender. Very willing to go up in run support and a really good tackler. It's an extremely underrated part of his game.

While I think his fit with the Chiefs in coverage as a CB made him expendable, his run support on the boundary and his leadership in the secondary will be missed. I still really wish he'd have been able to stay with the Chiefs and move to FS with the added versatility to roll into coverage by design or because of injury needs.

If he stays healthy Charger fans will be very pleased.
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Stats: Irrelevant Status: Chief family for life!
Get well soon EB29!!
BenderRodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that my team did not have a chance. Not talking Another season of this

Ike Taylor has been beaten badly on the play.[/img]

Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
2041 Total Yds; 1278 yds rushing 7td's; 763 yds receiving 3tds

Now Doing Sigs>http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18973664#18973664
EB29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang pretty bummed about this Evil or Very Mad

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Yeah, scheme shouldn't be an issue for Flowers. He is actually a good fit for us, the Chargers problem the last few years with CBs have been having strictly press corners(Cox, Cro, Cason etc.) forced to play in a system that has a lot of off-coverage.

If his problem last year in KC was more scheme then physical decline then he should bounce back.

His problem was more playing in the slot, than it was the scheme.

So he's an inverted Richard Sherman (who was more than serviceable in the slot but utterly putrid on the boundary)? Laughing

That may actually be the single greatest boon of this signing (at least unless/until Jeromey Clary is forced to take a pay-cut)... Richard Sherman's days are numbered!

Richard Marshall. We don't have Richard Sherman LBC, c'mon. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh dear lord, thank you. I was so confused, was pretty sure LBC was smarter than that, but didn't want to have to get in such an obviously stupid argument Laughing Laughing

I don't feel the need to have to explain myself to the likes of you people. Shame on you Speak to the hand
Perfundle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Picked SD over SF, interesting

San Fran is probably the more likely team to win a championship and look good on. I have to think he signed with us to give the finger to the Chiefs.

And I don't think we would have been able to give him five million like you guys were.

From everything I'm reading it's a $3m deal ($1.5m signing bonus and $1.5m totaled in game-checks) that can payoff as much as $5m if he meets all benchmarks. So ultimately, if he puts out a Pro Bowl caliber performance to earn it I don't think anyone's going to be griping about paying him an extra $2m.

How do incentives work with the salary cap? What if a team goes over the cap only if the incentive is reached? Or do teams have to make sure they don't breach the cap even if all incentives by all applicable players are satisfied?
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL 2m
Brandon Flowers says he stayed in the AFC West so he could get two cracks at the team that dropped him: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361716/article/flowers-had-chiefs-in-mind-when-signing-with-chargers?campaign=Twitter_atl

So looks like he did pick SD to get back at KC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfundle wrote:
The LBC wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

San Fran is probably the more likely team to win a championship and look good on. I have to think he signed with us to give the finger to the Chiefs.

And I don't think we would have been able to give him five million like you guys were.

From everything I'm reading it's a $3m deal ($1.5m signing bonus and $1.5m totaled in game-checks) that can payoff as much as $5m if he meets all benchmarks. So ultimately, if he puts out a Pro Bowl caliber performance to earn it I don't think anyone's going to be griping about paying him an extra $2m.

How do incentives work with the salary cap? What if a team goes over the cap only if the incentive is reached? Or do teams have to make sure they don't breach the cap even if all incentives by all applicable players are satisfied?
If they're likely to be earned, then you have to have the cap room available. If they're not likely to be earned, then you don't need the cap room and anything more than the cap that is earned just comes off the next year's cap.

It gets quite a bit more complicated (especially what is considered likely and not likely to be earned), but that's the basics.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Brandon Flowers says he stayed in the AFC West so he could get two cracks at the team that dropped him: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361716/article/flowers-had-chiefs-in-mind-when-signing-with-chargers?campaign=Twitter_atl

Not surprised. Flowers was pretty against the team as soon as the trade rumors came out.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:

Not surprised. Flowers was pretty against the team as soon as the trade rumors came out.

He has a point. If they were going to release him it would have been nice had they done it prior to the big dollars being sucked in FA.

I am excited to get him. Hated how physical he was when we'd play you guys but now, it will be reversed.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

San Diego is not a bad place to spend a year. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Perfundle wrote:
The LBC wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

If they're likely to be earned, then you have to have the cap room available. If they're not likely to be earned, then you don't need the cap room and anything more than the cap that is earned just comes off the next year's cap.

It gets quite a bit more complicated (especially what is considered likely and not likely to be earned), but that's the basics.

To expand, there was some manipulation (by the Lions I think) a few years back of likely/unlikely incentives. Essentially making large "likely to attain" incentives eat up cap in one year, not be earned, then come in as a huge credit in the next years cap. I'm not sure exactly how the determination is made, likely during the league office approval of the contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:

He has a point. If they were going to release him it would have been nice had they done it prior to the big dollars being sucked in FA.

I am excited to get him. Hated how physical he was when we'd play you guys but now, it will be reversed.

They weren't going to release him. The initial plan was obviously to trade him. Couldn't get anyone to bite.

After that, I'm not sure if the plan right away was to release him or not, or if their hands were somewhat forced when he decided not to show up for workouts he always has gone to in the past.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: