Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Former NFLer Ben Utecht Losing Memory After Concussions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyBania

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Former NFLer Ben Utecht Losing Memory After Concussions Reply with quote

Retired TE Ben Utecht claims his memory is fading away after suffering multiple concussions.
Utecht suffered at least five documented concussions over the course of his playing career and was forced to retire in 2009 after a string of brain injuries during that summer's training camp. He revealed he spent eight months in rehab battling dizziness, amnesia, sleeplessness, and night sweats. Utecht realized his memory was fading when he failed to remember attending a friend's wedding in which he was a groomsman after his retirement. Utecht is 32.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/92/player?r=1

Not sure if this is legitimate news or not. But it's worthy of starting a conversation about the dangers of concussions. With new protocol's being laid down by the NFL, it's sadly interesting to see the repercussions of multiple concussions. Probably one of the sadder entries I've read in recent memory.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is unbelievably sad if true. For him to have these problems at 32 is awful.

Hope he can recover as much as possible.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
jshowers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utecht was a former Minnesota Gopher and I've always been a big fan. I'm saddened by this news.

Also, he wrote a letter to his wife and daughters for the fear that one day he might wake up and not recognize them. This letter was written while on a plane ride, with his hat pulled low over his eyes so others couldn't see his tears.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/fearing-memory-loss-nfl-player-pens-letter-family/story?id=24282827
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad. I do believe that other players have or will suffer with this issue as well.

As much hate as the new rules in the NFL receive, this is one of the reasons they are in place.
tom cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32. That's what I'll be in September. Very sad to hear this. The NFL really has to do more to protect its players from head injuries.
KennyBania

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's news like this that kind of makes you understand the NFL's concerns with high hits.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
32. That's what I'll be in September. Very sad to hear this. The NFL really has to do more to protect its players from head injuries.

What more can the NFL do? There will never be a day where concussions are completely removed from the sport. Should the league go back to leather helmets and try and limit violent collisions?

This is unfortunate but it will always be part of the sport.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
tom cody wrote:

What more can the NFL do? There will never be a day where concussions are completely removed from the sport. Should the league go back to leather helmets and try and limit violent collisions?

Exactly and it's why these players get paid like they do. They know the risks and accept those risks when they sign the contracts and deposit those checks. It's unfortunate but it is, and always will be, apart of the game.

Kempes on the custom sig!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time to start learning to love soccer
TytybearsFan21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible. I feel so bad for him. 30-70 more years potentially ahead of him without him having any memories or knowing anyone he used to know..

I hope he makes a video of himself explaining who he and his family is and important memories so he can watch it each morning to remember them in a way like in 50 first dates..

PSN: TytybearsFan21
Add me or else! Twisted Evil
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I loved watching Utecht play when he was in the league. Saddened to hear about this.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
mozwanted

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
tom cody wrote:

Football is a dying sport. I honestly think we are in the golden age. Only other way to go from here is down.
mozwanted

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben is a singer now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOX-kSJ7PI4&feature=youtu.be
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I'm not calling him a liar and I really don't want to be insensitive, but why are we always so quick to go all-in 100% on some players' self-diagnoses? It's "easy" to go fully sympathetic and noone will really question you publicly, just like it's always safe to vote "yes" on a teacher/police/firemen raise. It just seems with how much talk is out there about these things, it would be rather easy to have some serious confirmation bias on the part of players with some normal memory loss, especially given some of them may have other things at play (Lots of PKs, recreational drug use, aging, etc.). I'm not saying this isn't noteworthy and I feel for him and his family if this is indeed what's going on, but I just feel like there's a wide path, on which there are many places these things can fall, but we are consistently as a group walking to one extreme side of the path (being overly assumptive that EVERYTHING is football-caused CTE etc.).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
time to start learning to love soccer

Soccer has just as many cases of head injuries and concussion related issues as American Football...

Actually, it has way more...

IDOG_det on the sig...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: