Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints Win Jimmy Graham TE/WR Grievance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ello667


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a little late to the party, and I don't feel like reading all of the comments, but I agree and disagree with the ruling. I agree that there is an issue with how the franchise tag works than with whether or not he is a TE or WR. There probably needs to be a designation change similar to how Jordan Cameron is now a "pass catcher" on his Twitter. Just lump them all together.

Where is the line drawn? I don't know. Pass rushers should be lumped together to include DE or LB, interior lineman being 3-4 DE/NT or 4-3 DT. Interesting situation but it needs to be changed no matter how they proceed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6642
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, why did a division rival player have to be the first to step up. Oh well, props to Jordan Cameron. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 24199
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with the 4 yard rule, but if that's the basis of the ruling, then leave it at that. A lot of these other things he's bringing up in support of the ruling are extremely flawed.

Graham was drafted as a tight end? Devin McCourty has been a FS for 27 of his last 29 games, but he was drafted as a cornerback! McCourty better go add "cornerbacks" into the bio of the Twitter account he shares with his brother, because apparently that's a factor too.

Kelvin Benjamin also better make sure his Twitter bio says that he's a wide receiver and that he stays more than 4 yards away from the offensive line, because Graham's "girth" was cited as one thing supporting him being a tight end, and Benjamin is already as big as some tight ends.
Yeah, it's pretty stupid.

I guess Welker is a TE on this play. Looks pretty close to 4 yards to me (closest WR on the left side)



Is the player in the left side slot a WR or TE on this play (red line)? He's cutting it close to 4 yards, but he's on the line like a WR. I doubt many would argue that someone lining up like that isn't a WR for that play.



What about Jordy Nelson here? Is he a TE if he's 4 yards or closer to the OT? Because that's another close one.



What about this slot WR on the right side? He looks like he's 4 yards or closer. Is he a TE there?



What about Jason Avant running this out route? Is he a TE here?



What about this slot WR?



Or this one?



Or this one?



Or this one?



Or this one on the right side? He's close to 4 yards...



What about this guy on the right side?



Is Jason Avant right here a TE?



What about Ryan Broyles here (the inside bunch man)?



So, Jimmy Graham is a TE on the right but the guy on the left side isn't?



Same thing here. Graham is a TE but the guy on the other side isn't?



What about the slot guy on the left? Is he a TE? Is the guy in the right? Both of them? Or just one because he's closer?



What about the guy on the right?



What about this guy you see on the right? Is he a TE? That's Golden Tate. Is he a TE guys? I guess by the arbitrators definition he is, but I thought WR's would never ever play TE because they can't block good enough? Does Tate have the "girth" of a TE? Was he drafted as a TE? Does he call himself a TE? Is he listed as a TE?





The way this ruling was made is silly. The 4-yard rule this guy made up is stupid. If you play in the slot, off the line, you aren't a TE, you're a WR. It's especially stupid if your reason for it is because of what's on his twitter, or how fat he is, or what the team listed him as when they wrote his name on a card like 4-5 years ago (which might be the stupidest reason of them all because then how do you judge this for UDFA's like Joseph Fauria?)
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Eric Ebron



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 2511
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well duh, no surprise here. Now we can all move on...
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB CHAMPIONS = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 2511
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also while I agree 100% with the ruling as Jimmy is indeed a TE I do believe he deserves to be paid like a top end WR because he is equal in value to one. He should not trip to hard, if he don't get it this yr then next season some team absolutely will pay him like a top 5 WR book it!

Btw, can we quit comparing Ebron to Graham seeing as how Ebron has never taken a single NFL snap????
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB CHAMPIONS = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WhackyPlague


Joined: 25 May 2008
Posts: 5030
Location: Orlando, FL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
The way this ruling was made is silly. The 4-yard rule this guy made up is stupid. If you play in the slot, off the line, you aren't a TE, you're a WR. It's especially stupid if your reason for it is because of what's on his twitter, or how fat he is, or what the team listed him as when they wrote his name on a card like 4-5 years ago (which might be the stupidest reason of them all because then how do you judge this for UDFA's like Joseph Fauria?)


Yeah, it's pretty dumb.



Every eligible receiver in that picture is within 4 yards of an offensive lineman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 2511
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
The way this ruling was made is silly. The 4-yard rule this guy made up is stupid. If you play in the slot, off the line, you aren't a TE, you're a WR. It's especially stupid if your reason for it is because of what's on his twitter, or how fat he is, or what the team listed him as when they wrote his name on a card like 4-5 years ago (which might be the stupidest reason of them all because then how do you judge this for UDFA's like Joseph Fauria?)


Yeah, it's pretty dumb.



Every eligible receiver in that picture is within 4 yards of an offensive lineman.


Are they really though?
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB CHAMPIONS = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WhackyPlague


Joined: 25 May 2008
Posts: 5030
Location: Orlando, FL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoover82 wrote:
WhackyPlague wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
The way this ruling was made is silly. The 4-yard rule this guy made up is stupid. If you play in the slot, off the line, you aren't a TE, you're a WR. It's especially stupid if your reason for it is because of what's on his twitter, or how fat he is, or what the team listed him as when they wrote his name on a card like 4-5 years ago (which might be the stupidest reason of them all because then how do you judge this for UDFA's like Joseph Fauria?)


Yeah, it's pretty dumb.



Every eligible receiver in that picture is within 4 yards of an offensive lineman.


Are they really though?


Maybe the arbitrator will rule that offensive linemen are no longer offensive linemen when they're split out wide Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 2511
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William "Fridge" Perry played some RB, Does that mean he's a RB not a OL? What about Vince Wilfork? Just cause Graham plays some WR does not mean he's a WR. The NFL agrees.
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB CHAMPIONS = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!


Last edited by Justin Hoover82 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IDOG_det


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 24199
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoover82 wrote:
WhackyPlague wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
The way this ruling was made is silly. The 4-yard rule this guy made up is stupid. If you play in the slot, off the line, you aren't a TE, you're a WR. It's especially stupid if your reason for it is because of what's on his twitter, or how fat he is, or what the team listed him as when they wrote his name on a card like 4-5 years ago (which might be the stupidest reason of them all because then how do you judge this for UDFA's like Joseph Fauria?)


Yeah, it's pretty dumb.



Every eligible receiver in that picture is within 4 yards of an offensive lineman.


Are they really though?
Technically and literally
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Eric Ebron



R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
domepatrol91


Global Moderator
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 3918
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
The way this ruling was made is silly. The 4-yard rule this guy made up is stupid. If you play in the slot, off the line, you aren't a TE, you're a WR. It's especially stupid if your reason for it is because of what's on his twitter, or how fat he is, or what the team listed him as when they wrote his name on a card like 4-5 years ago (which might be the stupidest reason of them all because then how do you judge this for UDFA's like Joseph Fauria?)


Yeah, it's pretty dumb.



Every eligible receiver in that picture is within 4 yards of an offensive lineman.


Let me know when large portions of snaps are being run out of this formation. Talk about a hyperbole. Laughing
_________________


2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 49456
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoover82 wrote:
Also while I agree 100% with the ruling as Jimmy is indeed a TE I do believe he deserves to be paid like a top end WR because he is equal in value to one. He should not trip to hard, if he don't get it this yr then next season some team absolutely will pay him like a top 5 WR book it!

Btw, can we quit comparing Ebron to Graham seeing as how Ebron has never taken a single NFL snap????


Thank u! They are nothing alike
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
domepatrol91


Global Moderator
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 3918
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
The way this ruling was made is silly. The 4-yard rule this guy made up is stupid. If you play in the slot, off the line, you aren't a TE, you're a WR.


Someone earlier in this thread posted that Graham was 7th among TEs for snaps in the slot. You know how many TEs are actually WRs if we go by your rule?

Not saying you're wrong, but just know that your rule would have plenty of people disagreeing with it as well. I don't believe there is any one end all be all rule that determines WR vs TE.

Whenever there is a rule like this that takes something that isn't cut and dry and tries to make it that, people will disagree. There will be guys on the fringe, like Graham in this case, that will have strong arguments for both sides. Graham wanted an official ruling on something that maybe isn't suited for an official ruling and now he (and the entire NFL) are going to live with that until it can be addressed again during the next CBA.
_________________


2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
domepatrol91


Global Moderator
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 3918
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Justin Hoover82 wrote:
Btw, can we quit comparing Ebron to Graham seeing as how Ebron has never taken a single NFL snap????


Thank u! They are nothing alike


You're comparing them. Confused
_________________


2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -


Last edited by domepatrol91 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WhackyPlague


Joined: 25 May 2008
Posts: 5030
Location: Orlando, FL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
WhackyPlague wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
The way this ruling was made is silly. The 4-yard rule this guy made up is stupid. If you play in the slot, off the line, you aren't a TE, you're a WR. It's especially stupid if your reason for it is because of what's on his twitter, or how fat he is, or what the team listed him as when they wrote his name on a card like 4-5 years ago (which might be the stupidest reason of them all because then how do you judge this for UDFA's like Joseph Fauria?)


Yeah, it's pretty dumb.



Every eligible receiver in that picture is within 4 yards of an offensive lineman.


Let me know when large portions of snaps are being run out of this formation. Talk about a hyperbole. Laughing


Oh, I'm not saying that this formation means anything at all, I just think the potential implications are kind of funny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group