You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Show Me a Hero (Miniseries; HBO/David Simon - August)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
i will be watching because my all time crush winona ryder is in it.

worth it brahs?

Yeah.

Double Yeah if you like David Simon's work and/or the subject matter interests you at all.

definitely a big david simon fan too. so we on
1King

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
1King wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
i will be watching because my all time crush winona ryder is in it.

worth it brahs?

Yeah.

Double Yeah if you like David Simon's work and/or the subject matter interests you at all.

definitely a big david simon fan too. so we on

A number of The Wire alumni are in it too - though mainly in smaller roles.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the greatest boring show I've ever seen.

Highly recommend it for anyone who likes watching the workings of behind the curtain politics too.

D#######
Mossburg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Wasiscko reminded me of Carcetti from The Wire. I feel like Simon really likes to show how the system is set up so even people who mean well and try to actually do things can't avoid getting sucked into the political games, and just become cogs in the machine.

It's kinda hard to feel bad for Nick at the end IMO, he basically made mistake after mistake until it snowballed out of control. Some of it wasn't his fault, but a lot of it was definitely him making terrible moves.

D#######
Dolphins82

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Also, Wasiscko reminded me of Carcetti from The Wire. I feel like Simon really likes to show how the system is set up so even people who mean well and try to actually do things can't avoid getting sucked into the political games, and just become cogs in the machine.

It's kinda hard to feel bad for Nick at the end IMO, he basically made mistake after mistake until it snowballed out of control. Some of it wasn't his fault, but a lot of it was definitely him making terrible moves.
Wasiscko was a PoS. I think the writers and directors depicted it perfectly. Oscar Isaac killed his role...don't even ask me how Cool
Nick gave zero fs about the people nor did he ever reform. At least with Carcetti he "showed" some semblance of fks about the community and the ills of it.
Wasiscko never meant well. Before he was mayor he appealed the housing. While he was mayor, there was no way to but to agree to it. After he was mayor, he went to the housing looking for recognition for something he was just a "face" of but didn't give a crap about.
Dude got the JFK not even for just doing what's obviously right....just because he didn't do something obviously wrong.

If anything......thinking of back in the days of overt racism, harsher poverty, etc I would say Spallone(although they kinda depicted he wasn't pure evil, just crazy status/powerhungry) and his ilk were like the South...overt with their evil. Nick was more like the North or maybe even better? I think dude was simply indifferent of the people. He did not care for their plight. He did not care what they were going thru. He only cared about his status and the title he held. Today, it seems the people like Nick are just as dangerous as the people like Spallone or that one guy who was leading the neighborhood 'watch'

and of course I say all this of Nick, just based of how they depicted him. Not actually having read anything about him.

Wasiscko.
Show me a hero.....and I'll show you a tragedy is perfect.

Wasiscko storyline was fantastic.

[]_[] Family
Not 1, not 2, not 3...........it's not a joke, it's a threat
Mossburg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They clearly showed that there was a point where he began to champion the cause. I dunno if that was like that in real life, but it happened around the time he and his wife were at that house they later bought. From that point on they portrayed him as one of the good guys.

D#######
Dolphins82

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
They clearly showed that there was a point where he began to champion the cause. I dunno if that was like that in real life, but it happened around the time he and his wife were at that house they later bought. From that point on they portrayed him as one of the good guys.
Hmmmm, never caught that feeling.
At every moment seemed like he was out for self. When he was "supporting" the cause it was only because he was forced to, he found the 'light' in supporting it. At every point they made him seem like someone only lusting for a title. He could've have helped the cause with the other positions he had, yet he was only concerned with maintaining a title. Even when he had to get votes to get the bill to pass, it was only because it was going to bankrupt the city and clearly Judge Sands/Feds were going to keeping pressing on him/the city until it went through.

The subtlety at which they portrayed this, is what makes the storyline so great to me. It reflects real life. Seems like they were trying to capture the whole snarling wolf vs smiling fox dynamic.

Sussman, the guy with the white beard/hair, Lester Freamon and other "quieter" characters were the 'champions'

With Carcetti there were legit moments where you could feel sympathetic. And in the beginning you can see some sincerity. He was swallowed by the system (or at least that's how I feel they portrayed him).

Wasiscko, essentially, only cared about being called Mayor.

[]_[] Family
Not 1, not 2, not 3...........it's not a joke, it's a threat
thrILL!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post D82. Summed up Nick perfectly. He used whatever and whoever he could to keep a taste. He didn't care who he hurt as long as he stayed in the game. I knew what he was going to do the second he set foot in the cemetery and just felt more animosity toward him.

That being said, Isaac crushed the role. Catherine Keener was a revelation too.

Anybody else get a case of the feels when Carmen finally got her townhouse at the end?

ROLL TIDE ROLL

GRINDIN' wrote:
No more late night Boggle with Paul Giamatti.
1King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Great post D82. Summed up Nick perfectly. He used whatever and whoever he could to keep a taste. He didn't care who he hurt as long as he stayed in the game. I knew what he was going to do the second he set foot in the cemetery and just felt more animosity toward him.

That being said, Isaac crushed the role. Catherine Keener was a revelation too.

Anybody else get a case of the feels when Carmen finally got her townhouse at the end?

A slight case, yes.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Mossburg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphins82 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Hmmmm, never caught that feeling.
At every moment seemed like he was out for self. When he was "supporting" the cause it was only because he was forced to, he found the 'light' in supporting it. At every point they made him seem like someone only lusting for a title. He could've have helped the cause with the other positions he had, yet he was only concerned with maintaining a title. Even when he had to get votes to get the bill to pass, it was only because it was going to bankrupt the city and clearly Judge Sands/Feds were going to keeping pressing on him/the city until it went through.

The subtlety at which they portrayed this, is what makes the storyline so great to me. It reflects real life. Seems like they were trying to capture the whole snarling wolf vs smiling fox dynamic.

Sussman, the guy with the white beard/hair, Lester Freamon and other "quieter" characters were the 'champions'

With Carcetti there were legit moments where you could feel sympathetic. And in the beginning you can see some sincerity. He was swallowed by the system (or at least that's how I feel they portrayed him).

Wasiscko, essentially, only cared about being called Mayor.

He told his wife at that house when he said he wanted to buy it that it's just people like them trying to find a good place to live. I thought it was clearly Simon showing that he was coming around, because he didn't say it in public or on the record to someone, but in private to his wife. Plus the scenes where he was going to the construction sites to see how his work was put in effect. The cool part is like you said, he didn't really start to do it because he supported it, which kinda makes it awkward of him trying to pat himself on the back.

The part when I think he was clearly a good guy was around the time he lost the election or after. At that point he basically just wanted to run for office because he thought he could govern well, Simon even mentioned that IIRC in one of the pieces after the credits. But after that he gets mixed up in all that political mumbo jumbo and makes a ton of blunders and selfish moves, because he seems to suffer from the same thing Vinnie was telling him earlier in the show when she got booted from office and worked some civilian job.

That's what made him the most interesting character for me, he went through all these different phases.

D#######
phinsforlife

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dope show. I work in low-income housing so this was an interesting plot that I'd never even heard about before.

Did some research and apparently Oscar Newman's a boss in this profession, never knew that before. I wish they would've spent some time talking about his contributions to the industry, but that's only because of my interest in the subject. Don't think it would've helped the show.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only watched the last episode when they all finally get their townhomes. Was expecting a lot more "stuff" to happen (I guess more drama?) but it was overall pretty boring and I think Mossburg summed it up perfectly, saying "the greatest boring show". I would agree with that.
Mossburg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

Yup, for anyone interested in reading more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensible_space_theory

D#######
thrILL!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
I only watched the last episode when they all finally get their townhomes. Was expecting a lot more "stuff" to happen (I guess more drama?) but it was overall pretty boring and I think Mossburg summed it up perfectly, saying "the greatest boring show". I would agree with that.

Pretty difficult to fairly assess a series when you only watched one episode. And the last one at that. I can see how some ppl might find it boring. I love Simon's craftsmanship. The writing, acting, directing were all elite and I don't find that boring whatsoever. It was like a dramatic symphony.

ROLL TIDE ROLL

GRINDIN' wrote:
No more late night Boggle with Paul Giamatti.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it. Typical Simon. If you watch only the first two episodes, you'll be confused and think it's awful. If you watch the entire series, he manages to develop all the characters and tie everything together despite the series being short.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: