Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

News

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docc2183

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: News Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2004907

Hey, we got a punter.

Also, I think OG Ron Stone is now available, an Oakland cap cut. Still plenty of OL available. One more guard, a LB, and a CB and we'll be good. Or some combination of those. Making progress.
dawgdish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good - letting Gardocki go one one of the most boneheaded things Davis ever did (and that's saying alot!) No more 7 yard punts this year, hopefully.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say that we needed to pick up a punter so I'm glad that we've gone out to do it. Some people might be surprised by Browns fans excitement regarding a punter. But, i think 2 games we lost last year were directly attibutable to bad punting.
ThunderDawg27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Uh Reply with quote

Ok, now i know that somethin wrong is goin on at ESPN, cuz in that link, they say that its the Browns first move in FA, when its not their first move... Their first move was gettin Andruzzi.. ESPN, seriously, sup wit u guys?

-ThunderDawg27
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anti-Browns media bias continues.

Getting a punter was nice. Don't have to worry about wasting a late round pick on a guy who kicks balls now.

Roman Phifer was in Berea today. Signing him would rule. It would give us an on-field coach for the defense.
docc2183

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm that, ditch? I heard per Savage's conference that no one was in today.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I read too much into it.

But here's where I got it:

"Crennel is installing a four-linebacker defense and is interested in Roman Phifer, a veteran of New England’s three Super Bowl winners. The catch: Phifer turns 37 Saturday.

“Roman is a good, solid football player and a good individual,” Crennel said. “He would be good for a team.”"
MusingsFromBigPink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: No old guys, please. Reply with quote

Signing Roman Phifer at 37 would be a mistake. What if he has a good year for a rebuilding team -- so what? Next year we either bring back a 38-year-old LB or go back to square one. How is that progress?

Andruzzi was a solid veteran pick up who should have enough good years left to still be here when we get back to the playoffs. The same cannot be said for Phifer, or for Ty Law for that matter. We need young guys at reasonable cap numbers to build around, not short-term high-profile stars in the twilight of their careers. (There is a reason these older guys are available. Namely because they now take up more cap space than their worth.)

Spread the available cap money around on younger players, maximize the number of Day One draft picks, and keep our eyes on the long-term prize. THAT should be the plan.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cant risk making Phifer a starter... He could split time with maybe a younger guy that we get in the draft... But at 37, he's about done

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: