You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Neon Dion returns to practice

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Neon Dion returns to practice Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000728131/article/dion-lewis-expected-to-return-to-patriots-practice

Quote:
The New England Patriots could be adding another dynamic dimension to its already potent offense.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that running back Dion Lewis is expected to return to practice this week, per a source.

The elusive back started the season on the physically unable to perform list after tearing his ACL last season in early November. His return to practice opens a 21-day window in which he must be activated to the 53-man roster or placed on season-ending injured reserve.

When healthy last season, Lewis was the most dynamic pass-catching running back in the NFL. His quick cuts proverbially broke the ankles of countless linebackers. Tom Brady continually looked for Lewis' mismatch, as the 5-foot-8 shimmy-shaker caught 36 passes for 388 yards (10.8 average). Lewis also added 49 carries for 234 yards (4.Cool as the change-of-pace complement to LeGarrette Blount.

The Patriots will likely tread a cautious path with Lewis. The 26-year-old has a history of injury troubles and is not yet a year removed from his ACL tear.

Even if Lewis returns this season, we don't know how much of that quick-cut ability he'll possess right away.

James White's improved play this season make's Lewis return less vital that it seemed to enter the season. White has negated some of his maddening drops and been more elusive in space in 2016.

With White's impressive performances and Lewis questionable knee, we wouldn't expect the Patriots to rush the injured player back into the fold. Anything from Lewis before January would be a cherry on top of Brady's potent offense.

We'll probably see him after the bye, albeit on a low snap count. With how much White improved, we can slowly phase him in.

This can't possibly be an autocorrect for Asante Samuel.....
PoWww

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't practice today from what I read on twitter, but is expected to soon.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see if he can return to pre-injury form and actually stay healthy.
Welsh Patriot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
It will be interesting to see if he can return to pre-injury form and actually stay healthy.

I think he will return at a high level definitely but maybe not quite as electric as he was before he got injured just because of the nature of the injury.

The important thing with him is that he stays healthy. 2RB/2TE sets would be a nightmare to defend considering the personnel. Could be incredibly fun to watch.

In a way I hope he comes back a little bit later just to add more to the offense late on in the season and so teams will have less tape on us come play-off time.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

It will be very interesting. Odds are, with his style and the nature of the injury, it will be extremely hard to return to a form that exceeds what White gives us.

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
MoJo63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is absolutely no need at all to hurry his return, I know he wants to play football, I get it, but Blount is killing it and White is doing well, the passing game is clicking I would much rather have him practice a few weeks maybe a week or two half speed then a week full speed, I say look for him after the bye or one week later.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

It will be very interesting. Odds are, with his style and the nature of the injury, it will be extremely hard to return to a form that exceeds what White gives us.

As a runner, I think he should give more than White simply because White offers nearly nothing in that aspect.

As a receiver, White has always been a better option and even more so this year given his improvement.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

As a runner, I think he should give more than White simply because White offers nearly nothing in that aspect.

As a receiver, White has always been a better option and even more so this year given his improvement.

I was speaking more as an overall player, but I can split the roles.

His open field ability did trump White, and still would if he returns to form. Ball security wasnt great, but he could make more things happen catching a ball in the flat or over the middle. White does have better hands and ball security and can block in pass pro much better. Lewis, if he is back to himself, should have specific pass plays catered to his abilities in the playbook IMO. If his agility has been sapped, he couldn't bring anything to the pass game that White couldn't.

As a runner, its hard to project how he would do as a change of pace to Blount. He will probably be our best back at delayed handoffs out of the gun, but Blount has shown he can utilize that as well. Lewis is going to need to prove that he can make quick cuts again. Blount is unusual for a big back because he can hit the homerun play, one of the bigger reasons you use a change of pace back for. So if Lewis can't mix up the run style between the tackles, then he probably can't offer much of what I mentioned up top, and he probably won't need to see the field except to give White and Blount breathers.

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: