You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Volunteer Abroad

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MookieMonster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Volunteer Abroad Reply with quote

Hello FF,

I'm a High School teacher at a low income school way up in Northern New England. A lot of the kids haven't ever left the area, let alone seen what other countries have or don't have. Me and a current Student who volunteered in Haiti are trying to create a Volunteer Abroad program at the school and are trying to find a reputable group.

My main concern is finding a volunteer group that is going to make sure the students will be safe and will get a good experience. I'm hoping some of you may have experience in this and can give me good advice, we've been searching google and doing research but having someone who has actually been on a volunteer abroad trip would be a great resource.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin did something similar in the Domincian Republic a few yrs. ago. I believe it was called Hero Holiday or something like that. It's a Canadian company though but there may be something similar to that in England. Whatever the case good luck to you and the student in this, good for you to do something so noble.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Volunteer Abroad Reply with quote

MookieMonster wrote:
Hello FF,

I'm a High School teacher at a low income school way up in Northern New England. A lot of the kids haven't ever left the area, let alone seen what other countries have or don't have. Me and a current Student who volunteered in Haiti are trying to create a Volunteer Abroad program at the school and are trying to find a reputable group.

My main concern is finding a volunteer group that is going to make sure the students will be safe and will get a good experience. I'm hoping some of you may have experience in this and can give me good advice, we've been searching google and doing research but having someone who has actually been on a volunteer abroad trip would be a great resource.

Thanks!

You could ask your local churches for help. It wouldn't have to be a religious/mission trip, just ask them for contacts and set it up from there.
MookieMonster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Volunteer Abroad Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
MookieMonster wrote:
Hello FF,

Thanks!

You could ask your local churches for help. It wouldn't have to be a religious/mission trip, just ask them for contacts and set it up from there.

Yeah, that was my main concern. I don't want it to be a religious trip, but just asking them for ideas isn't a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Volunteer Abroad Reply with quote

MookieMonster wrote:
titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
MookieMonster wrote:
Hello FF,

Thanks!

Yeah, that was my main concern. I don't want it to be a religious trip, but just asking them for ideas isn't a bad idea.

Spent a few months in Panama visiting some cousins and a uncle once. There was a rather large group of Mormons Id run into and chat with. They were from all over America, but gathered together there. Was pretty cool setup and network they have going on.
Might want to get ideas from them. Whats needed, how to set up, how to gather contacts and businesses.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to point out the obvious but I feel like I have to. Since you're at a low income school you can sympathize with the fact that they haven't seen other countries due to their financial situation.

I know people who go on mission trips/volunteer abroad every year but it costs them LOTS of money out of their own pocket to do so and they need to have fundraisers just to send themselves. I think its going to be extremely difficult to find a group or organization that will put out the expense of sending a group of high school aged kids abroad, even if the basis of it is to volunteer.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
MookieMonster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
I hate to point out the obvious but I feel like I have to. Since you're at a low income school you can sympathize with the fact that they haven't seen other countries due to their financial situation.

I know people who go on mission trips/volunteer abroad every year but it costs them LOTS of money out of their own pocket to do so and they need to have fundraisers just to send themselves. I think its going to be extremely difficult to find a group or organization that will put out the expense of sending a group of high school aged kids abroad, even if the basis of it is to volunteer.

Of course. We're well aware of the high cost, but their is plenty of grants available for things like this and we're hoping to have local businesses help out.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: