You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

IT - Stephen King Remake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike Barinholtz gonna play It?

HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually didn't think It was a masterpiece of horror. It was way too drawn out and full of pointless and unnecessary drivel. King could have literally cut the book in half, removed the not-technically-an-orgy part and a whole bunch more. The Stand was an epic all-time great horror novel that worked as an epic, way long novel. It didn't. Pennywise was the only truly great thing about It, which is why he better be represented somehow in their final fight.

And as far as a bunch of adults fighting a clown, we don't have to worry about that part for at least a few years.

And the thing about the TV movie is that it was horribly cheesy and not even worth watching... Except for Tim Curry's scenes. It sucks that a top 10 all time villain performance came in a crappy made for tv movie. In the 90's.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Pennywise, you're right, the movie was lacking big time. This is why I love this is a theater release and will be R rated. The possibilities are so much more plentiful as a result. It's tough to do a horror movie made for TV especially in an era where they didn't get away w/ 75% as much as they do now. I think we can thank South Park for that Very Happy Very Happy lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the trailer again and it looks like Mike Hanlon's terror has been changed from the bird to the story his dad told him about the fire. Excellent choice there. Anybody else catch that?
Tyty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
I actually didn't think It was a masterpiece of horror. It was way too drawn out and full of pointless and unnecessary drivel. King could have literally cut the book in half, removed the not-technically-an-orgy part and a whole bunch more. The Stand was an epic all-time great horror novel that worked as an epic, way long novel. It didn't. Pennywise was the only truly great thing about It, which is why he better be represented somehow in their final fight.

And as far as a bunch of adults fighting a clown, we don't have to worry about that part for at least a few years.

And the thing about the TV movie is that it was horribly cheesy and not even worth watching... Except for Tim Curry's scenes. It sucks that a top 10 all time villain performance came in a crappy made for tv movie. In the 90's.

Then what would I complain about?

The Stand was great, as was desperation iirc and Cell was good too
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty excited about this. I read that the director of Mama is working on this. I like it.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:

Well the Kid and trashcan man had some scenes in the Stand novel that I'd rather remove.
El ramster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
Pretty excited about this. I read that the director of Mama is working on this. I like it.

Movie was weird as hell.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. It looks like they kept and added just enough from the original to pike my interest, though hopefully they changed the lulzworthy ending which was made all the worse with poor budget and animation.

For those of you who don't know what I'm getting at, look no further than Nostalgia Critic's review of It.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:

The Stand takes forever to get going. And it also has an issue with the ending not being as good as what preceded it. King in general has that issue. I think IT's ending was great minus the orgy thing. He just brutalizes your senses in that stretch from the time they get in the sewer to the time they get out.

A big part of the book is that it's designed to be almost the ultimate horror book where it reflects on what scares you as a kid vs what scares you as an adult. Also I disagree that Pennywise was the only standout in the novel. He was the representation of it but the concept was great because King was able to build on a fear and then pay it off. Pennywise worked because when he was in a scene you knew right away that something bad was going to happen. Pennywise was the tell. That worked because there were plenty of times where something would just be there and you wouldn't know if it was IT until you got some type of tell or it boiled over to a point where it was blatant. Which was an effective way of switching between how King wanted to scare you. Did he want to set the mood or did he want you off guard.

Also the book did a good enough job of building up the monster that you didn't need Pennywise at the end. Pennywise was just the tip of the iceberg. He was bad, but you really didn't want to see what was under the surface. And that starts with the very first encounter where Georgie gets attacked and Pennywise reveals what it really is to him and King writes "what he saw destroyed his sanity in one clawing stroke". You always know there's something bigger than just an evil clown. So when you get to the end the whole thing can't just be a physical encounter with that form. Because as scary as Pennywise was, even at it's most mundane it's hardly the most threatening form.

Also where the book really works is as a coming of age book. I don't think I read a book that captures the feeling of being a young kid and playing outside with your friends quite like that. The whole idea of you not having all the answers to the world so everything seems a little bit possible and everything is a little bit bigger than it actually is. And he contrasts that so well with the adult sections where everyone is a little jaded, the scares are a little more matter of fact and you cope with them differently. How the kids were far more prepared to deal with the threat they faced than their adult counterparts.

There's very few horror novels I'd put up next too IT. Especially in the supernatural realm. And to me it's easily King's best work along with the Stand as far as accomplishing it's goals and the sheer scope.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the issue with King and Lovecraft is that they WRITE about unimaginable terrors. That's perfect in a book because you have to provide the imagery, you have to imagine the unimaginable. Once that gets onto film, once you get that physical, tangible and visible manifestation of the unimaginable, it never lives up.

That's why the final fight should start with Pennywise, show him begin to change and then disguise as much of it as they can through close-ups of the kids, camera angles, hints and clues, but never ever ever even try to show its true form.
Non-Issue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my favorite book as a kid and is still one of my favorites today. I have been waiting 30 years for this book to be done right on the big screen. A cheesy TV mini series just wasnt going to do it. The book was way too dark and violent to ever translate appropriately to the TV.

The trailer has me really excited.

And if you havent read the book, I cant recommend it enough. I think it is Stephen King at his finest. His magnum opus.

Kiltman on the sig!

2016 Adopt-a-Ram Jared Goff:
Comp:99 Att:185 Yards:969 TD:5 INT:7 Rating:65.7
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting. Was always too scared to watch the original as a kid and I had no interest in reading the novel, but this seems like it might be worth a watch in theaters.

One thing though, how the hell does this have a trailer out before the Dark Tower movie? Man, it's unfortunate, but everything points to that film being a major disaster.

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
KManX89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't get it out of my head how ridiculously bad Pennywise's true form looked. I don't know whether it was a product of bad writing or low budget or any combination of the two, but it was lulzworthy bad. The choppy animations sure didn't help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
Sorry, I can't get it out of my head how ridiculously bad Pennywise's true form looked. I don't know whether it was a product of bad writing or low budget or any combination of the two, but it was lulzworthy bad. The choppy animations sure didn't help.
Talking about the spider thingamabob at the end?

(yeah, I'm not putting spoilers lol)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: